RIP (?) Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,570
22,750
113
The “scary” part of Ted K’s “scary brilliant” personae is totally due to him being a psychopath. I’ve known my share of mathematicians more accomplished than TK who were pussycats outside the classroom. Maryland had a very friendly and supportive faculty who always could make you feel okay after a rough day. (As a student at that level you’re either brilliant yourself or else fighting like hell to keep your head above water. Took me eleven years, every day was desperation. The other day I was cleaning out my home office and I found my textbook for my first class at Maryland, I got a 25/100 on my first exam, realized that day that Maryland > Tennessee the same way Penn State Football > Buffalo, I wasn’t in Kansas anymore.)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Connorpozlee

LionJim

Heisman
Oct 12, 2021
16,570
22,750
113
lol, one time I was working on this little thing, spent two or three weeks on it before mentioning it to my advisor. “Oh, that’s interesting, never thought of that before.” Ten seconds later: “I hope you haven’t been spending too much time on it, it’s not true.” Fast, he was.
 

Lil Nicky Scarfo

All-American
Jul 1, 2025
1,946
5,425
113
There was a Haiku competition one year and this one won:

Open your present
No, you open your present
Kaczynski Christmas
 
  • Like
Reactions: CVLion

Big_O

All-Conference
Jun 28, 2001
1,678
2,769
113
The “scary” part of Ted K’s “scary brilliant” personae is totally due to him being a psychopath. I’ve known my share of mathematicians more accomplished than TK who were pussycats outside the classroom. Maryland had a very friendly and supportive faculty who always could make you feel okay after a rough day. (As a student at that level you’re either brilliant yourself or else fighting like hell to keep your head above water. Took me eleven years, every day was desperation. The other day I was cleaning out my home office and I found my textbook for my first class at Maryland, I got a 25/100 on my first exam, realized that day that Maryland > Tennessee the same way Penn State Football > Buffalo, I wasn’t in Kansas anymore.)
He reportedly was a paranoid schizophrenic. Unless you have spent some time with these type of individuals like I have (med school psychiatry rotation at a state mental hospital) you truly don’t really appreciate how these individuals think. They are really bizarre.
 

MtNittany

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
3,768
5,303
113
If only Ted had the legal mind of one Todd Richard Branch at his disposal at the time of his capture. He could be eating chili out of a can in Montana right now. You could say he'd have "ubiquitous freedom" even.
 
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
18,404
13,419
113
Ted Kaczynski had an estimated net worth of around $150,000 in bank accounts, plus a remote plot of land and a small cabin in Montana at the time of his 1996
 
  • Like
Reactions: Connorpozlee

CVLion

All-Conference
Oct 13, 2021
1,158
2,389
113
And Robert Hanssen, the FBI agent who sold secrets to Russia for years, also died in prison a few days back.

It feels like these things happen in threes. I’m trying to think of another high-profile federal inmate who might be the next to go.

Boy does it burn me up when I read a post from a few years earlier and don’t immediately recognize it as ne f mine. 🤣

Forgetful AND Unobservant? Yeah, I am getting old lol
 

CVLion

All-Conference
Oct 13, 2021
1,158
2,389
113
On a different note… I’m actually somewhat surprised that all the angst about data centers and AI has not yet brought forth a Unambomber 2.0 somewhere 😬
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State-Northwestern predictions: How are computer data systems and experts picking the Week 5 clash?
  2. 02 BWI Football Projecting Penn State's defensive travel roster and depth chart against Northwestern
  3. 03 BWI Football Penn State 3-2-1: Lessons from Wisconsin, Rocco Becht, more
  4. 04 BWI Recruiting Penn State commit Stanley Montgomery returns from surgery: 'He hasn't lost a step'
  5. 05 BWI Football Projecting Penn State's offensive travel roster and depth chart against Northwestern