Rothstein at practice

RutgHoops

Heisman
Aug 14, 2008
9,246
12,432
102
Devil's advocate ONLY!

Big difference between playing in games, albeit HS vs. playing 12 minutes in garbage time..

I believe I've mentioned on this site before I was a walk on at a D-1 program as a freshman in college. The first three months of college practice had skill development, weight training, nutrition, knowledge of the game/plays that were night and day versus what I went thru in high school. And I was sure as heck not someone the coaching staff focused on. Now this was 35 years ago, but there is no comparison. And I played high school basketball at a Group IV NJ school, that at the time was one of the two or three best leagues in NJ. I had what at the time was considered pretty darn good coaching. And there was no comparison. None.
 
Last edited:

RUChoppin

Heisman
Dec 1, 2006
19,270
13,695
0
This assumes that the additional muscle doesn't impact his shot.

It's not like he's been locked in a gym doing power lifting training only - he's been getting up plenty of shots, too. The additional S&C and muscle will help a lot with finishing through contact, fatigue and lift in the legs at the end of games, banging for rebounds, offense/defense in the post, setting screens, etc.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

Greene Rice FIG

Heisman
Dec 30, 2005
40,437
23,613
0
I believe I've mentioned on this site before I was a walk on at a D-1 program as a freshman in college. The first three months of college practice had skill development, weight training, nutrition, knowledge of the game/plays that were night and day versus what I went thru in high school. And I was sure as heck not someone the coaching staff focused on. Now this was 35 years ago, but there is no comparison. And I played high school basketball at a Group IV NJ school, that at the time played in one of the two or three best leagues in NJ. I had what at the time was considered pretty darn good coaching. And there was no comparison. None.
I am assuming you could dunk.
 

PSAL_Hoops

Heisman
Feb 18, 2008
14,246
13,567
78
I think most of the time the college conditioning and developing is probably a plus.

However, for a kid who played for a top elite team where he was “waiting his turn”as more of a role player through the first 3 seasons, the experience and confidence of being a team captain and go to player as a HS senior could be more beneficial. Personality, environment and related circumstances do come into the equation. I’m not sure there’s a clear answer that one is always better than the other.
 
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 On3 Football How to Watch College Football: TV schedule, start times, streaming info for Week 5 games
  2. 02 The Knight Report Greg Schiano Presser Recap + Early Thoughts on Indiana - TKR Pod
  3. 03 The Knight Report Four-Star Forward Brandon Woodard commits to Rutgers Basketball
  4. 04 The Knight Report Rutgers Wrestling's Newest Star Anthony Knox Addresses His Past and Looks Ahead
  5. 05 The Knight Report Full 2026-27 Rutgers Wrestling Schedule Released