Rumor has it Penn State to play Texas in 2028 and 2029 (EDITED)

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Lets hope their fans in person are classier than their fans online.
(that tends to be the case)

Just editing this. The RUMOR is that it COULD be the case.

When I was told by a relative, they told me it was fact when it is RUMOR!
SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!

Last edited:

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021

Link?

Edit: this is believable though as Texas was scheduled to play Georgia in 2028/29 and so that will not be happening as a non-conference game so Texas needs to fill the hole in their schedule. PSU has no one yet scheduled in 2028/29

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Link?

Edit: this is believable though as Texas was scheduled to play Georgia in 2028/29 and so that will not be happening as a non-conference game so Texas needs to fill the hole in their schedule. PSU has no one yet scheduled in 2028/29

I just edited the top post to say it was a rumor. The person who told me this, misunderstood and of course, I come on here like a dummie and post it!
Tom, feel free to delete!

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
I just edited the top post to say it was a rumor. The person who told me this, misunderstood and of course, I come on here like a dummie and post it!

Fair enough. Wouldn't be surprised to hear they are talking and it would make sense for both schools. As I mentioned both have openings for a "major conference opponent" for those years. But, yeah, this is probably premature and it isn't official until the pen meets paper and could be derailed.

Reactions: LionJim

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
No worries. If you can't post a rumor on a message board, what else are you supposed to do with it?? 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Hlstone and OuiRPSU

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
For Real Reaction GIF by Bounce

PearlandLion

Nov 27, 2021
That would be a terrific matchup and I'd be thrilled to be able to drive to a PSU game in a few hours.

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
I predict it will be just another routine Big33 North-South intra-conference game in 2029.
Whiteout, noon kick on the Big33Fox Sports Network (BFSN).

Reactions: psuro

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
But now you have to stay there another six or seven years.

o_O
Ha ha….I actually love living in DFW. I am fortunate however to be able to travel and spend July /August at the Jersey Shore missing the hottest Texas weather for the most part.

Last edited:

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Ha ha….I actually love living in DFW. I am fortunate however to be able to travel and spend July /August at the Jersey Sore missing the hottest Texas weather for the most part.
Not loving it this week with these 105+ temps here in Austin. But it would be great to see PSU play here. I don't see how ADs would be working on new schedules that far out until the specifics around how schedules will work after USC and UCLA come on board are ironed out though, so I'd guess there's a fair chance this doesn't materialize.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Just editing this. The RUMOR is that it COULD be the case.

When I was told by a relative, they told me it was fact when it is RUMOR!
SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!

If I recall correctly, around 4 years ago there was an article about rumors that PSU was in discussions with Texas for a 2-game, home-and-home series. I'm pretty sure there was a thread about it on the former platform.

Since then, Texas announced it was switching to the SEC starting in 2025, and recently USC and UCLA (and the B1G) announced that they were leaving the Pac-12 to join the B1G in 2024.

With all the uncertainty about divisions within conferences, whether the B1G or the SEC will expand, whether the CFP will be expanded, etc., I'd be quite surprised if many major programs in the B1G or the SEC sign future contracts for series. They can have ongoing discussions, and memorandums of agreement (or a variety of other avenues) that provide the major legwork for a future series. But it's probably not in their best interests to lock in future contracts at this time. I guess the flip side is they could proceed to sign contracts on future series which also include all kind of out clauses based on how many conference games they will be required to play in XXXX year, or a myriad of other reasons that could provide legitimate reasons why one or both parties have to back out of the contract without having to pay a penalty.

Reactions: LionJim

Whart

Oct 8, 2021
Fortunate to go to New Jersey, for two months. I don’t get it.
Ha ha….A little history…...have a family home in Avalon. My Dad invested there in 1963 when I was an an Infant and everyone told him it was too risky. He eventually wound up building 4 duplex homes as rental investments in the mid 1960’s and let’s just say….over time….the naysayers were quite wrong with their advice. So I am indeed quite blessed to be able to escape some of the Texas heat and head back to a place that I have spent many a memorable day with family and East Coast friends growing up etc.