Save the Pub

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
There is a 1200 year ole pub in England, "Ye olde Fighting Gamecock Pub", that is in jeopardy of having to close due to the rising energy costs in England. Putin has stated the Nordstream-1 gas pipeline will remain closed until Europe rescinds its sanctions against Russia. It seems to me that closure of this pub would be a waste of affiliation, if only by name. Are there any enterprising Gamecocks out there who can come up with a way to help the owners of this pub? How cool would it be if we, Gamecock Nation, could not only help them but establish a relationship with them. Maybe bring South Caroline Gamecock Football to them? What a great destination it would be. Possible through a lottery? I don't know. I just now, literally, saw this report on the news and thought it might be something other Gamecock fans might be interested in getting involved in.

TopHook

Jan 18, 2022
There is a 1200 year ole pub in England, "Ye olde Fighting Gamecock Pub", that is in jeopardy of having to close due to the rising energy costs in England. Putin has stated the Nordstream-1 gas pipeline will remain closed until Europe rescinds its sanctions against Russia. It seems to me that closure of this pub would be a waste of affiliation, if only by name. Are there any enterprising Gamecocks out there who can come up with a way to help the owners of this pub? How cool would it be if we, Gamecock Nation, could not only help them but establish a relationship with them. Maybe bring South Caroline Gamecock Football to them? What a great destination it would be. Possible through a lottery? I don't know. I just now, literally, saw this report on the news and thought it might be something other Gamecock fans might be interested in getting involved in.
FNZVkADXMAET6Jf.jpg

Reactions: yourmothercalled

TopHook

Jan 18, 2022
I get it, Germany is the primary culprit. That is not the point. The point is there is an entity with a recognizable/familiar name that we might be able to help. On this issue I am not about the politics.
Invite them to gcc. if there is any interest from them, there might be some here. Highly doubt they would want help from us yanks, and how would this help USC?
It's also called Nordstrom 1.

Last edited:

Game...Cocks

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
Cool name.

I think the pub founders would find it pretty weak that their pub is now begging over the light bill, right?

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
I think there are enough small businesses in the USA, suffering from the ineptitude or downright stupidity of the current administration, that we need to support before we look for one over the pond.

BigJC

Aug 5, 2022
Seems simple enough to take up some sort of collection and send the pub the money. The amount needed to pay the utility bill can't be some staggering amount and it isn't like the pub doesn't expect to pay something for energy. I would imagine $5000 would be more than enough to get them through the crisis.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It would actually be a pretty fun crossover. Do a little fundraiser. Maybe have end up with a Gamecock banner/flag in the pub. Pretty neat, actually. Wish someone could bring it to the attn of the admin.

78 Grad

Joined Oct 5, 2001
Jan 20, 2022
I emailed back and forth with teh owner and he thanked everyone for the support but he says the article was overdone and they are fine

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
Invite them to gcc. if there is any interest from them, there might be some here. Highly doubt they would want help from us yanks, and how would this help USC?
It's also called Nordstrom 1.
She did say "Nordstrom", didn't she. As far as accepting help from us yanks, they might since without help from someone they may well have to close. The invite to USC/Williams-Bryce might be a good thing, see what happens.

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
Cool name.

I think the pub founders would find it pretty weak that their pub is now begging over the light bill, right?
I doubt the founders had to worry about that since they must have done pretty well 1200 years ago and still be open today. Pride is a powerful emotion and has destroyed many.

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
I think there are enough small businesses in the USA, suffering from the ineptitude or downright stupidity of the current administration, that we need to support before we look for one over the pond.
Again, it is about the names and that it could lead to a pretty cool relationship.

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
Seems simple enough to take up some sort of collection and send the pub the money. The amount needed to pay the utility bill can't be some staggering amount and it isn't like the pub doesn't expect to pay something for energy. I would imagine $5000 would be more than enough to get them through the crisis.
Thank you. Yours is the first positive reply. Any ideas as to how this could be started-managed? I would love to but since I am a loyal South Carolinian and Gamecock living in Washington state it would be difficult for me. But, I believe, there are Gamecocks here and I will try to reach them. Please stay in touch.

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
It would actually be a pretty fun crossover. Do a little fundraiser. Maybe have end up with a Gamecock banner/flag in the pub. Pretty neat, actually. Wish someone could bring it to the attn of the admin.
If enough of us approach admin and/or Ray Tanner something might happen. It's worth the effort.

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
I emailed back and forth with teh owner and he thanked everyone for the support but he says the article was overdone and they are fine
Thank you. I'm glad to hear they are not in the dire straits their press it out to be. I was thinking of the potential relationship as much as financial assistance. Thanks again for your response.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
Relocate them to 5 points and I’ll be on board. I can’t think of a better name for a Pub here in Columbia.

KalamaCock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 22, 2022
I must apologize for my lack of due diligence as regards the "Ye Olde Fighting Gamecock Pub". As some of you may have also learned from reading the reply from 78 Grad the pub is not closing. The article I read about it closing was false. I overreacted because of the name. Thank you and my apologies to those who replied.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I must apologize for my lack of due diligence as regards the "Ye Olde Fighting Gamecock Pub". As some of you may have also learned from reading the reply from 78 Grad the pub is not closing. The article I read about it closing was false. I overreacted because of the name. Thank you and my apologies to those who replied.

It would still be a fun thing to make happen. Send them some Gamecock gear. Sell some shirts with the Ye Olde Fighting Gamecock Pub and our Gamecocks on it. Maybe someone could start a sister pub in Columbia.

Last edited:

Latest posts