SIAP: Hawkeyes discussing the hiring of David Taylor and Kyle Dake

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
They have discussed this before. They’ve also discussed hiring Askren. All of it is desperate talk.

Reactions: LB4097

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Wrestlers move their families to state college to raise them in that community. They would have better luck with Spencer or maybe Hall or Joseph. That being said everything has a price, but the price to get Taylor or Dake may be to high.

Reactions: Garw

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Brands is under contract thru 2029 and making over $600k per year. They are not buying out a wrestling coach for over $3M. Especially since someday they may need to spend money on an offensive coordinator who can score 10 pts/game.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Wrestlers move their families to state college to raise them in that community. They would have better luck with Spencer or maybe Hall or Joseph. That being said everything has a price, but the price to get Taylor or Dake may be to high.
As long as Taylor and Dake are still competing, there’s very little chance they would venture that far from the NLWC. The children of the corn are delusional.

Reactions: LB4097 and Got GSPs

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Brands is under contract thru 2029 and making over $600k per year. They are not buying out a wrestling coach for over $3M. Especially since someday they may need to spend money on an offensive coordinator who can score 10 pts/game.
Correct. He makes $625k according to HR. That’s some serious cash.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
They do this every year. They just assume they can just pick a coach. Any coach.

They are in post tournament meltdown mode. By the middle of next week they will be back to posting how Iowa is set up to take down PSU next year with a few transfers (who they just get to pick) and their guys stepping up to the challenge.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Iowa has a lot of holes in 2024-25. Some young talent but some holes to plug. Ferrari, Arnold, and Kueter are their future. Ayala, Kennedy, and Caliendo return but who else? Compare that to O$U, Cornell, OkSU, NC State, ASU, Michigan, Nebraska, Lehigh, and Va Tech. The race for #2 is on for next year. The PSU room is stocked for several years!

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
They do this every year. They just assume they can just pick a coach. Any coach.

They are in post tournament meltdown mode. By the middle of next week they will be back to posting how Iowa is set up to take down PSU next year with a few transfers (who they just get to pick) and their guys stepping up to the challenge.
They are already talking about going after Nasir Bailey and TJ Stewart. I don’t understand why they think someone like Stewart would leave VT for Iowa? An argument could be made that VT has a lot more momentum and upside right now than Iowa.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Lol. Good luck. David and Kyle are very happy. David has a Huge wrestling Club and Kyle is doing very well too. Both have farm’s and love the State College area. Iowa is getting very desperate. This is nothing but a Rumor. Someone on a message board trying to talk something into existence. 😂😂

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
If anything they would be great to replace Cael and his staff if Cael decides to relocate the Olympic Wrestling operations to HV and take it over! He’s Zeus and this is Mt. Olympus.

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
Jordan Burroughs name also was mentioned there. In the past, Jason Nolf got a plea to come to Iowa City. Surprised their net hasn’t been cast for Gable Steveson.

• Haha
Reactions: LB4097

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Who in the world would want to move into college coaching with recruiting, transfer portal, and NIL. And then be expected to climb Mt. Olympus.

Reactions: LB99

SW Fla Lion

Oct 20, 2021
Why would DT or KD put themselves under TnT? It is very clear to most wrestling fans how backward TnT are in their training methods. Does anyone expect them to change? Look at the history of seniors in their program and how they are worst the longer they are in the program or injured or just plain worn out. Even SL could not survive their methods.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
As long as they are training, nobody is leaving State College. If anybody has the desire to get into college coaching, then maybe they have to strike out. Magic has his club......has to be a great gig without having boosters and alumni busting your balls. I think Dake goes back to Ithaca in time.

The Brands are not going anywhere. They are too ingrained in Iowa and I am not sure anyone else would pay for them.

Running a successful college team is so much more than what happens on the mat......along with tying things together with the RTC.

Reactions: DC89

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
As long as they are training, nobody is leaving State College. If anybody has the desire to get into college coaching, then maybe they have to strike out. Magic has his club......has to be a great gig without having boosters and alumni busting your balls. I think Dake goes back to Ithaca in time.

The Brands are not going anywhere. They are too ingrained in Iowa and I am not sure anyone else would pay for them.

Running a successful college team is so much more than what happens on the mat......along with tying things together with the RTC.
Dake ain't leaving

Reactions: Hartzie

coastfan

Oct 26, 2021
There's a whole thread now started by what one would presume to be an insider of some sort. He claims the AD has reached out to DT who supposedly has expressed some level of interest.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
There's a whole thread now started by what one would presume to be an insider of some sort. He claims the AD has reached out to DT who supposedly has expressed some level of interest.
I hope DT is trolling iowa. Listen string them along and after a few months just turn them down. But make iowa work for it.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Still on, but a bit off topic. I have read where some of the Iowa fans want Spencer Lee to eventually coach the team after his Olympic run, etc., but it seems to me that Spencer is a freak of nature. Extremely strong with an unlimited tool box, but seldom taps into it, he typically went to one or two takedowns followed by an arm bar tilt (not sure if that's the right term), but in any event he's not what I'd call a guy with a diverse set of wrestling / coaching skills.
By the third period he was gassed for all of the reasons logged. He is/ was a great wrestler, but other than name recognition what's his strategy?
1, 1, 1, 6 were his finishes (Really, really good!) but other than he's "going to be the next savior of the Hawk program", what does he bring to the table? The transfusion of new talent from the east which he was supposed to begin/ be a part of has essentially dried up.
I believe the Hawks need some entirely new blood running the program, and I don't see Just a set of new assistant coaches changing Anything. TNT are fun to watch and are entertaining; the perfect guys with the black hats that are easy to root against. I didn't think winning by 100 (!) was going to be so much fun. But it was. I hope DT is not part of the coaching-change equation out there.

Reactions: psu7276