So no one watches or cares about WCBB

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Lebron, also, wanted all those washed up over 30 year olds two years ago when they didn't make the playoffs. All of them, Melo, Dwight Howard, Trevor Ariza were washed up and they didn't make the playoffs. Like I said, Lebron the GM kind of bungled the deal. Not Michael Jordan bad, but he messed up that year.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It really is that simple. Prior to Dawn, I doubt any of the posters here gave a flip about women's basketball. Now fans are passionate about it. But that passion for the sport would fizzle if we stopped being good.

It's also helped that there's been a massive and concerted marketing effort built around Caitlin Clark. She may not actually be the best women's player ever, but she came along at the right time with social media and the media's sudden desire to try making the women's game more popular, so she's benefitted immensely from that, as has the women's college game. She's an excellent player but has benefitted greatly from the biggest marketing effort in girls college basketball history. Unfortunately for her, she's off to the wasteland of the WNBA and not even she's good enough to make that popular.

To your first point, broadcasters are going to put whatever games on tv they believe will get the most eyeballs. They would broadcast zebras playing kickball if it guaranteed good ratings. Yes, there are a handful of women's games that draw a lot of eyeballs, but overall men's ratings crush women's ratings. That's why there's a glut of men's games on tv compared to women's.
Agreed.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
That's why I laugh when people will rail about the NBA, but watch these college kids miss lay-ups and shoot 60% from the FT line. I still watch both the College and Professional basketball because I am just a hardcore basketball guy. However, if you want to watch young kids (like a GG) learn how to play, you have to watch the NBA now. If the Gamecocks had GG playing the way he is playing now, we might still be playing. The kid has had games playing alongside Steph Curry and he was the best player on the court. Just watched him go for like 36 points with 8 Three Pointers against the Warriors a couple weeks ago.
And there were many games for us that he was not the best player on the court at the time. It’s called development and everyone needs time to do it. There were games we had where he was awful. I’m not saying he was awful. I’m just saying his play that day was awful.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
So now you know more about basketball than Lebron. Kudos. What do you do for a living?
Did I say I know more than Lebron about basketball. No, I didn't say that. However, I have been around the sport enough to know that many times the better players are not always the best talent evaluators. I terminated my Hornets season tickets a couple years ago because Michael Jordan was a horrible talent evaluator. He was like you. Into all this tradition. Just because someone made the Final Four, they must be good. Resulted in horrible drafts like Sean May, Adam Morrison, Frank Kaminsky, and Cody Zeller.
And there were many games for us that he was not the best player on the court at the time. It’s called development and everyone needs time to do it. There were games we had where he was awful. I’m not saying he was awful. I’m just saying his play that day was awful.
That is my point about the state of College Basketball. Unfortunately, the system does not lend for the best players to develop in college on the Men's Side. On the Women's side, the players are there 4 years (not saying that is how it is supposed to be). This gives time for player development, a better college product, and marketable stars. For example, if Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, and Dalton Knecht were in airport baggage claim, which one would be recognized last? I think we all know the answer if we are being honest with ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tngamecock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
To be fair, he has claimed the lofty achievement of playing highschool basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I found out I am listed in that viewership. I have not watched 1 WBB game at home in over 4 years. Last one was a game we played UConn mid season and got smoked. I have watched us a couple since while at a bar and it was on, however, I am saying I didn't watch at home due to algorithms. I have YouTubeTV. When you select YouTubeTV on your smart tv, a show automatically is on based on your algorithm and what you watch normally. It either was set up to make people who don't normally watch WBB tune into in as soon as it came on (which I found even though I changed the channel less than 1 min later to what my son wanted to watch, I was included in the 12MM) to boost the numbers which really would not surprise me with how things are these days, OR there was literally nothing else on sports wise Sunday night and that's where my algorithm steered me. Regardless, I was included, even though I didn't watch it at all, just because my tv took me there before I selected what I wanted.

Either way, the number is inflated, because how many other people had this same issue?
I have an antenna. Best way to go for maximum autonomy.

As one who is a stickler for accuracy, please state that "overall, those who follow WBB are relatively few in number" rather than "nobody follows WBB". You can state your point without being disrespectful to WBB devotees. The same can apply to any sport.

Reactions: moouclem

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
I have an antenna. Best way to go for maximum autonomy.

As one who is a stickler for accuracy, please state that "overall, those who follow WBB are relatively few in number" rather than "nobody follows WBB". You can state your point without being disrespectful to WBB devotees. The same can apply to any sport.
I don't think I was being disrespectful. Just said that I don't watch and was included.

Reactions: atl-cock

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Mainly due to Caitlin Clark's media buzz and superhero status. A few teams draw big audiences but to say it is huge all around the country is just not true. If the only sport you are excelling in is WBB, you need to make some changes.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Mainly due to Caitlin Clark's media buzz and superhero status. A few teams draw big audiences but to say it is huge all around the country is just not true. If the only sport you are excelling in is WBB, you need to make some changes.
In your opinion, of course.

Let's respect other's choice of sports to follow, even if it differs from our personal preferences.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
There has been an intentional de-emphasis on marketing the men's game coupled with a massive marketing effort to boost the women's game.

As far as Burns, there are always lesser known players who become personalities during the NCAAT. It's part of the fun of the tournament. There were some electrifying players in MBB this year, like Dalton Knecht, but they simply weren't marketed for reasons we can't get into without getting the thread deleted.
Just shut up already. You have shown your ignorance often enough now.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Let’s wait to compare total viewership for the entirety of both tournaments.

of course, it doesn’t help at the men’s game is being played at nearly 10 o’clock at night.

GarnetGhost

Joined Apr 22, 2014
Jan 18, 2022
Let’s wait to compare total viewership for the entirety of both tournaments.

of course, it doesn’t help at the men’s game is being played at nearly 10 o’clock at night.
Why are you making this a contest pitting the women against the men? It is not. The premise repeated often on this site is that no one cares about women's basketball. The viewership numbers soundly refute this premise regardless of the viewership numbers the men produce.

Reactions: DarkCock

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Why are you making this a contest pitting the women against the men? It is not. The premise repeated often on this site is that no one cares about women's basketball. The viewership numbers soundly refute this premise regardless of the viewership numbers the men produce.
It's called "moving the goalpost"

Reactions: winloseortie

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Let's also wait to see what viewership is next year. Seems like all the big viewership games involved Clark.

Reactions: Big JC and USCEE82

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Let's also wait to see what viewership is next year. Seems like all the big viewership games involved Clark.

Even more interesting to see will be if Clark can get people to watch the WNBA. If she can pull that off, she'll be the GOAT for any sport, men's or women's.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Even more interesting to see will be if Clark can get people to watch the WNBA. If she can pull that off, she'll be the GOAT for any sport, men's or women's.
I doubt Clark is going to be the superstar in the WNBA she is in college. Outside of a handful of teams Iowa faces in a season, Clark was going against very average girl players. In the WNBA, every player she faces will have been the best player on her college team.

Her first season I think there will be an uptick in attendance at her games but I don't see her drawing big crowds or big TV audiences.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I doubt Clark is going to be the superstar in the WNBA she is in college. Outside of a handful of teams Iowa faces in a season, Clark was going against very average girl players. In the WNBA, every player she faces will have been the best player on her college team.

Her first season I think there will be an uptick in attendance at her games but I don't see her drawing big crowds or big TV audiences.

Saw a funny Babylon Bee headline saying "Caitlin Clark to retire from spotlight and enter WNBA."

If she can have a long-term positive impact on WNBA ratings, she'll the GOAT of any sport, male or female. They have already announced they are nationally broadcasting almost of her WNBA team's games next year, so they are clearly counting on her to turn the league around. How she performs, as you point out, will determine the long-term impact. She's going to come in as a marked player.

Latest posts