So, Sankey has a preference

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
If it's nine, we're fine. If it's eight, we're late.
We're already late.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
There are only 4 schools in favor of a 9 game conference schedule. ESPN is having massive layoffs. The SEC will revisit the 9 game schedule in 2025.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Looks like the 9 game SEC schedule will not be approved. Read the above article.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Looks like the 9 game SEC schedule will not be approved. Read the above article.
Sounds like hardball to me. It's only a matter of time. The only thing that really matters anymore is $$. And replacing a non conf game that nobody cares about with another conf game is worth more to ESPN.

FlebusJones

Joined Aug 29, 2011
Jan 19, 2022
If you are on the revenue side of things (i.e. want more $$s), then obviously you want 9 SEC games. If a team plays 9 SEC games, the negatives are as follows:

1) You get one less presumably easier game that would have allowed you to play 2nd and 3rd string players and rest some of the first string:
2) One more SEC game will lead to more injuries; this is particularly true since the top 12 teams will be in extra playoff games; Extra SEC games mean you must push your best players harder and longer to win conference games against an extra strong team.
3) Smaller schools will be effected because it is one less big revenue game that they won't get: 4) The elite schools with the deeper bench will be the ones who will benefit. Their 2nd and 3rd teams are as good as many team's first teams so they can play the extra tough game with lesser problems. The rich reap the benefits of the rule change.

As players get more and more bulked up and faster, something is going to give and likely it will be more serious injuries. I think we are seeing it now. You can only squeeze so much out of 18 to 21 year olds before injuries mount up. I say stick with the 8 SEC games and slow down the insanity.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Better for us if it’s 8
Not better for the league, though. Quality telegenic content is going to be a must, especially with the other top-tier leagues playing nine. We're giving up a lot if the league stays at eight, in my opinion.

Reactions: Rogue Cock