So unlimited transfers now in the business world ?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I’m all for non competes. If you spend the time and money to train someone they shouldn’t be able to up and leave to work for a competitor.
We freely allow industry to do that - they can cut you and hire a competitor anytime (at least in "right to work" states). Why shouldn't labor have the same freedom?

Reactions: MoronDawg

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I’m all for non competes. If you spend the time and money to train someone they shouldn’t be able to up and leave to work for a competitor.
Some people are Rolling Stones and just can’t sit still. No legislation will keep them from job hopping.

But to your point, if you don’t want someone to jump, pay them and treat them well.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It doesn't. Thanks for proving my point.
It has since the old days on the political board on another website. Oh, by the way, I'm not going to take the time to go back and look, but I believe all I said was that you haven't changed, and your old buddy Charlie Reese would be proud.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That is what the Man wants you to think. I would wipe my *** with a non-compete clause or piss on it like in Major League.
Feel free to wipe your *** with it, but I would suggest you make a copy of it before hand to give to the attorney you’re going to have to pay. And you’re probably not getting that money back fyi.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It has since the old days on the political board on another website. Oh, by the way, I'm not going to take the time to go back and look, but I believe all I said was that you haven't changed, and your old buddy Charlie Reese would be proud.
Ive never said anything other than i dont always agree with the government of Israel. Same old Liver. Disagree with me, you're an anti-Semite. That you don't see a problem with that says all that needs to be said.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Ive never said anything other than i dont always agree with the government of Israel. Same old Liver. Disagree with me, you're an anti-Semite. That you don't see a problem with that says all that needs to be said.
You can disagree with me and not be anything. It's what YOU say that makes you.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Free markets can get expensive but ultimately balance over time and the strongest/best businesses will win - as well as the consumer. This applies even to competition for and training of humans.I get that It sucks (been burned many times myself) when they bail after an investment of dollars and time but how many investments are risk free?

Also probably no coincidence that retention has declined over the years with the shift from pension to 401k and the decline in the quality of health insurance benefits. Pensions/good health plans are more likely to provide those "golden handcuffs" and keep folks around vs current state of benefits - which provide little financial incentive to stick around beyond salary.
Don't disagree but "over time" is relative right?

Certain people will always chase perceived better opportunities no matter how good they may or may not currently have it. That's ok with me. The grass is greener is a powerful allure.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Don't disagree but "over time" is relative right?

Certain people will always chase perceived better opportunities no matter how good they may or may not currently have it. That's ok with me. The grass is greener is a powerful allure.
Definitely relative. Often a very long period of time by most anyone's definition. But as long as we have transparency and the ability to make informed decisions, most things shake out the way they should.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You can disagree with me and not be anything. It's what YOU say that makes you.
Well, you have the floor. What have i possibly said that makes me anti-semitic? Especially in context of YOU completely uncritically supporting current actions in Gaza.

Reactions: mstateglfr

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Well, you have the floor. What have i possibly said that makes me anti-semitic? Especially in context of YOU completely uncritically supporting current actions in Gaza.
Well, you were the one that brought it up in this thread. This one had nothing to do with Israel or Gaza.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Well, you were the one that brought it up in this thread. This one had nothing to do with Israel or Gaza.
I brought up how you called me and anti-semite for disagreeing with you the last time we interacted, yes.

That all you got? Let me give you a tip, if you are going to go so low as to call someone an anti-semite, you better have some receipts handy, you POS.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I've never had a non-compete clause enforced in any case I've worked on involving one (which is only a handful, but still...) They are always interpreted extremely narrowly, and have to be limited in time and geographic scope.

Like I said, the problem is most employees and potential new employers would rather not spend the money fighting them.

I've had some high profile radio personalities come to me for advice, and they all decided to take a 6 month vacation rather than pay me to fight their non-compete clause.
My daughter was in radio and had a non-compete. She had moved to south Florida for this job. After a year they decided to go in a different direction and let her go, but they upheld the non-compete and let their competition know. She interviewed at other radio in the area and they all said they would hire her in a year after her non-compete expired. I could understand if she left, but these a-Holes fired her and still prevented her from working. I even wrote an email to them if she sucks that much I think you would want your competition to have bad DJs.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I brought up how you called me and anti-semite for disagreeing with you the last time we interacted, yes.

That all you got? Let me give you a tip, if you are going to go so low as to call someone an anti-semite, you better have some receipts handy, you POS.
You brought it up here, not me. I did not call you that for disagreeing with me. Your own words did that for you. I never used the word by the way. You knew what you were saying when you said it, and were expecting and wanting the reply.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You brought it up here, not me. I did not call you that for disagreeing with me. Your own words did that for you. I never used the word by the way. You knew what you were saying when you said it, and were expecting and wanting the reply.
So, you have nothing but will stick with it. No one cares who brought it up or when. You said it, I'm calling you out on it, and you have nothing. As per usual.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
So, you have nothing but will stick with it. No one cares who brought it up or when. You said it, I'm calling you out on it, and you have nothing. As per usual.
I said you hadn't changed you were still like your buddy Charlie Reese. You gleefully put the shoe on. That's exactly what happened. You brought it up in this totally unrelated thread to start an argument. You can have the last word, I'm tired of repeating mine

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I said you hadn't changed you were still like your buddy Charlie Reese. You gleefully put the shoe on. That's exactly what happened. You brought it up in this totally unrelated thread to start an argument. You can have the last word, I'm tired of repeating mine
Again, so you have nothing. Newsflash, you call someone an anti-semite and you probably won't get to hide behind excuses like "but lt wan in another thread wah wah".

You are one gigantic POS with terminal Boomer brain. If you were otherwise and capable of having a rational conversation, you might see that there is vast nuance on the issue and that neither side is clean or white hats. But no! Your Boomer brain has to have Israel as the "good guy" and can tolerate no other view, so in your little mind any criticism is anti-semitic. Go back to Facebook with that garbage old man.

Reactions: L4Dawg

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Free markets can get expensive but ultimately balance over time and the strongest/best businesses will win - as well as the consumer. This applies even to competition for and training of humans.I get that It sucks (been burned many times myself) when they bail after an investment of dollars and time but how many investments are risk free?

Also probably no coincidence that retention has declined over the years with the shift from pension to 401k and the decline in the quality of health insurance benefits. Pensions/good health plans are more likely to provide those "golden handcuffs" and keep folks around vs current state of benefits - which provide little financial incentive to stick around beyond salary.
I mean it is expensive, but the 401k can be better than the pension, if companies put their money where their mouths are. I mean if you want to keep employees, the first thing to do is pay them 8k a year over their typical compensation and let them pick their own healthcare.
Next, you match up to the maximum amount of employee contributions of $23k. Or Fidelity pays their employees a 2X match up to 100% their employees maximum contribution. That is some serious money. My buddy that is higher up in their construction arm, says he put in $22,500 last year and they added 45k to it. He says there is no way he is ever leaving.

My company follows that prescription, although not 2X contributions. Profit sharing and semi annual bonuses pretty much keep everyone happy.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I mean it is expensive, but the 401k can be better than the pension, if companies put their money where their mouths are. I mean if you want to keep employees, the first thing to do is pay them 8k a year over their typical compensation and let them pick their own healthcare.
Next, you match up to the maximum amount of employee contributions of $23k. Or Fidelity pays their employees a 2X match up to 100% their employees maximum contribution. That is some serious money. My buddy that is higher up in their construction arm, says he put in $22,500 last year and they added 45k to it. He says there is no way he is ever leaving.

My company follows that prescription, although not 2X contributions. Profit sharing and semi annual bonuses pretty much keep everyone happy.
That's a helluva match. Personally, I prefer 401k since it's portable, has a little flexibility (more than pensions) and I've been fortunate enough to land at places with solid matches (but no where sniffing that Fidelity). I like having more control than tying myself to a pension.

My only point was that employees will stick with employers when financially treated well. In the past, that security was achieved with dangling the service years carrot in front of them. Stick with the employer long term, be financially rewarded well on the back in. Now, we tend to push most of it on the employee with maybe some nominal matching. It makes it much easier to rationalize bouncing if you think you could be happier elsewhere. Retention has suffered accordingly.

No doubt a real nice 401k match would keep you around. I'd have to be getting hosed in salary or workload to ever consider leaving that Fidelity match. That's a serious perk.