So what does Jon Sokolof have to say?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I want him to stay. They can only win if they have a Matt Coral, they don't or easy schedule. They won eight easy games this season. Looks like next season will be a little tougher and still no Corral. Ole Miss is screwed. Now they are stuck with a average coach who is over paid. They got so played and Cohen had a little part in it.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
There is no reason to think Jon wasn’t reporting based on solid information. Kiffin will say otherwise. Ole Miss fans will claim Kiffin was never interested in Auburn.

From the beginning it was considered possible that Auburn put out the Kiffin interest to provide cover to go after someone else.

Another possibility is that interest in Kiffin was real and how the situation unfolded made Auburn less interested.

It’s also possible that Kiffin decided that how he handled this situation made taking the Auburn job too damaging to his image and long term goals.

The pure fiction that Ole Miss fans will push is that Kiffin was never interested in leaving.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Jon wasn’t the only guy on the Kiffin story. Don’t believe the spin. Kiffin made a fool of himself on Twitter and Auburn may have gone another direction. The Confederates may end up with a coach who doesn’t want to be there. He thinks he is better than them, they think they are better than everyone. It’s a match made in heaven.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There is no reason to think Jon wasn’t reporting based on solid information. Kiffin will say otherwise. Ole Miss fans will claim Kiffin was never interested in Auburn.

From the beginning it was considered possible that Auburn put out the Kiffin interest to provide cover to go after someone else.

Another possibility is that interest in Kiffin was real and how the situation unfolded made Auburn less interested.

It’s also possible that Kiffin decided that how he handled this situation made taking the Auburn job too damaging to his image and long term goals.

The pure fiction that Ole Miss fans will push is that Kiffin was never interested in leaving.

Are you kidding me? There is 100% reason to think he didn’t have solid info. If his source wasn’t Kiffin himself, then he was running with something that couldn’t be possibly vetted to the extent that was needed to make it public.

Also, I have no sources whatsoever, and even I could have told you 6 weeks ago that Auburn’s coach in 2023 was going to be Kiffin or Freeze, and that was before Harsin was canned or Cohen was AD. So this moron acting like he’s a pretend insider for saying the same is just comical.

DecadeReb2

Jul 2, 2021
I want him to stay. They can only win if they have a Matt Coral, they don't or easy schedule. They won eight easy games this season. Looks like next season will be a little tougher and still no Corral. Ole Miss is screwed. Now they are stuck with a average coach who is over paid. They got so played and Cohen had a little part in it.
Dart’s ceiling maybe lower that corral’s but Dart did have a better year than Matt’s first year playing. Next year, who knows.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Are you kidding me? There is 100% reason to think he didn’t have solid info. If his source wasn’t Kiffin himself, then he was running with something that couldn’t be possibly vetted to the extent that was needed to make it public.

Also, I have no sources whatsoever, and even I could have told you 6 weeks ago that Auburn’s coach in 2023 was going to be Kiffin or Freeze, and that was before Harsin was canned or Cohen was AD. So this moron acting like he’s a pretend insider for saying the same is just comical.
What if his source was Cohen?

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
This is true. Ole Miss got played by Sexton, not Cohen.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

Believe what you want. I don’t know who his sources were. I’m just not going to assume because Kiffin isn’t the Auburn coach that Jon made it up or didn’t have solid sources.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Believe what you want. I don’t know who his sources were. I’m just not going to assume because Kiffin isn’t the Auburn coach that Jon made it up or didn’t have solid sources.
Pretty much by definition the fact Lane is staying means the sources were bad.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

He literally said Kiffin was stepping down in the same exact tweet where he said Auburn had offered nobody the job. The dude has been a clown show from the get go.

Of course Kiffin was interested (and might still be interested) and he wasn’t the only one with sources on that. He was just the only one dumb enough to report that it was a done deal….and that’s why he’s being justifiably ridiculed.

Reactions: patdog

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
David Johnson got on Bo Bounds and said himself he thought Thursday would be Kiffin a last game with Ole Miss

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
All of OM’s reporters were saying Kiffin was likely headed to Auburn too. These things change.

Sok’s tweet probably should have said something like “Sources close to OM program anticipate likely coaching search in coming days”. That would leave a bit more breathing room.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
That's my conspiracy theory of choice. John thought he'd do us a solid as he went out the door and started the rumor to make the Egg Bowl a little more interesting.

I don’t think he would have done it as a solid. I think he would have been doing it for himself and just f’ed it up or things changed when Lane started showing his ***.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
All of OM’s reporters were saying Kiffin was likely headed to Auburn too. These things change.

Sok’s tweet probably should have said something like “Sources close to OM program anticipate likely coaching search in coming days”. That would leave a bit more breathing room.
I agree. It was very poor wording on his part. He made it more absolute than it probably was and left him little wiggle room.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That's my conspiracy theory of choice. John thought he'd do us a solid as he went out the door and started the rumor to make the Egg Bowl a little more interesting.

Doesn’t matter if his source was Cohen. John Cohen is a great source if the question is whether or not John Cohen is going to Auburn. He’s an iffy at best source on whether Lane Kiffin is going to Auburn….he can be lied to or misled just as easily as Sokoloff could himself. If Sokoloff had ever covered a coaching search before, he’d know that.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
I told my wife the minute it came out that I figured Cohen was the source. My conspiracy was/is that boosters were trying to strongarm the hire from Cohen and he leaked it to screw the deal up.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018

Looks like from what Auburn reported that Kiff simply had a change of heart or maybe after considering all things, he just decided to stay….
“- Kiffin has become much more centered and focused on family and God over the last few years and that has steered his life to remaining grounded and appreciative for what he has at Ole Miss. He'd rather not risk a new start after only three years at Ole Miss, which gave him a second chance to coach big-time football.”

- The rumors are true: his kids love the campus and one is planning to attend Ole Miss in the near future.

- The promise of a rollover in his contract, along with increased support with NIL money and a clear backing from administrators on a unified front was too much for him to ignore.”

Or maybe he still goes???

“- Again, the private rollover in the contract is a huge attraction. Still, as of this hour, he hasn't signed it but as of last night everyone at Ole Miss expected him to do so.”

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Richard Cross’s tweet said that Ole Miss had done right by Lane Kiffin every step of the way and Kiffin chose Auburn.

I saw it with my own eyes before he deleted it. I don’t know what that means, nor do I care, but people that would seem to know absolutely beloved he was going to Auburn. Do with that as you please.

A COMPLETELY separate issue that just drives me crazy is people deleting tweets. I think that is the most cowardly thing in the world.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I just absolutely can not read that dudes last name. I know its childish af but I swear. I can say John but I never say Sokolof or it never sounds like Sokolof anyway

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Looks like from what Auburn reported that Kiff simply had a change of heart or maybe after considering all things, he just decided to stay….
“- Kiffin has become much more centered and focused on family and God over the last few years and that has steered his life to remaining grounded and appreciative for what he has at Ole Miss. He'd rather not risk a new start after only three years at Ole Miss, which gave him a second chance to coach big-time football.”

- The rumors are true: his kids love the campus and one is planning to attend Ole Miss in the near future.

- The promise of a rollover in his contract, along with increased support with NIL money and a clear backing from administrators on a unified front was too much for him to ignore.”

Or maybe he still goes???

“- Again, the private rollover in the contract is a huge attraction. Still, as of this hour, he hasn't signed it but as of last night everyone at Ole Miss expected him to do so.”
He did a great job of leaking this information himself to get him a few more million a year. I don't know what he'll go for next year probably the Texas A&M Post who knows who will be open next year.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Richard Cross’s tweet said that Ole Miss had done right by Lane Kiffin every step of the way and Kiffin chose Auburn.

I saw it with my own eyes before he deleted it. I don’t know what that means, nor do I care, but people that would seem to know absolutely beloved he was going to Auburn. Do with that as you please.

A COMPLETELY separate issue that just drives me crazy is people deleting tweets. I think that is the most cowardly thing in the world.
People from every level of sports reporting were hearing similar things. Kiffin wanted that job, there’s no doubt about it. I’m sure it sucks from his standpoint to see your moves being put out there but that’s the way it goes in this business. Kiffin didn’t have to be a childish turd about it.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if his source was Kiffin himself. He’s been playing this thing the whole time to get a huge raise. I believe he’ll eventually leave UM but it’s going to be somewhere bigger than Auburn.

The wcbi kid gets some egg on his face but he’s also gotten more publicity from this than he’s have ever gotten otherwise. In a position like his, any publicity is good publicity. So it’s a win-win for him & Kiffin