South Carolina QB Chris Smelley disappears while kayaking in Florida

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Hopefully he’s ok and just got blown off course a bit.

kayak fishing in the ocean always scares the crap out of me. If you catch something, chances are it’s being followed by something even bigger. Or if you catch something big it can just drag you out into the deep stuff.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Just saw a report that said he was last seen 1.5 miles offshore at 9:30 this morning and that he didn’t have a phone or a life jacket. Hopefully he’s just way off course, but man, that’s a crazy risky fishing trip.

Reactions: KingWard

Anon1680371778

Apr 1, 2023
Scary. What's concerning is the recent population spike of Great whites in the Gulf. A large GW just washed up on shore a few weeks ago close to where he was kayaking. They're notorious for hitting kayaks around the globe. Prayers for him and his family.

SuperCock99

Dec 11, 2023
Sending positive vibes that he comes back with one heck of a survival story.

Last edited:

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
That's a long time to be floating around on a kayak in the gulf. Glad he's okay. Awaiting the rest of the story.

Reactions: CWW

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Some info about the rescue:

Pelham High School football coach reacts to Coast Guard’s rescue of Chris Smelley​

by: Thomas Boni, Kendra Day, Alexa Daly, Haylee Kennedy, Pat O'Donnell
Posted: Mar 28, 2024 / 04:22 PM CDT
Updated: Mar 28, 2024 / 09:40 PM CDT
UPDATE (9:38 p.m.): Pelham High School head football coach Mike Vickery and Chris Smelley are friends.
Vickery spoke with News 5 about Smelley’s disappearance Tuesday.
“I kept sending him text messages hoping maybe he would, maybe he would get one and respond but didn’t hear,” Vickery said. “Obviously haven’t heard anything from him yet. And you know, just happy that it sounds like there is a positive outcome. And, you know, that’s all we were hoping for.”

ADVERTISING

Vickery said he was worried because of the Gulf of Mexico waters.
“A lot of times you don’t get those positive outcomes when there’s water involved in the Gulf of Mexico involved,” he said. “But thankfully, thankfully, this is one of those that sounds like we’ll have a happy ending.”

Ultimately, Smelley was found around 7:12 p.m., more than five hours after they began searching for him.

“Sometimes you forget the forces of mother nature and how it can turn really really quickly in a negative way, so you always got to be alert,” Vickery said. “And I know I can’t wait to hear his story on how this happened. And, you know, definitely a long day for him and the Smelley family.”

UPDATE (7:50 p.m.): News 5 has learned more about the rescue of Chris Smelley, the Sylacauga High School head football coach who went missing after a fishing trip in the Gulf just off Grayton Beach.
Here’s what we’ve learned from the U.S. Coast Guard:
  • A Coast Guard helicopter from New Orleans spotted Smelley around 7:12 p.m., still on his kayak. He was found 2 miles off shore of Grayton Beach.
  • A friend of Smelley’s happened to be in the area on a boat, and overheard chatter about the 37-year-old coach’s disappearance on a radio. The Coast Guard guided the friend to Smelley’s location.
  • That friend came to the scene and they were able to get Smelley on their boat.
  • Smelley reportedly has no medical concerns.

UPDATE (7:31 p.m.): The Walton County Sheriff’s Office has posted on Facebook that Chris Smelley has been found, and he’s safe.

“SMELLEY HAS BEEN LOCATED SAFE BY THE UNITED STATES COAST OUT OF MOBILE,” the post, updated at 7:28 p.m., said.
News 5 is working to learn more about this development. We will share more information, right here, as it becomes available.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
The helicopter reached him first…then the boat.
The news article made it sound like the chopper directed the boat to him by radio. The video above ends when the guy is lowered into the water. Maybe once he realized Smelley was OK, he just stayed with him until the boat arrived.

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
He made CNN. I saw a very brief story this morning. Didn't explain what happened. I assume the wind took him out and he couldn't get back in. He said the chopper passed over him a couple of times and didn't see him so he feared he was gonna have to spend the night out there.

Reactions: CWW

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I've been scuba diving for over 30 years. I always had a fluorescent surface marker buoy, and some type of reflective tool (old CD's worked great) as part of my gear, because you know SH*T HAPPENS.

CockyNChicago

Nov 25, 2022
I've been scuba diving for over 30 years. I always had a fluorescent surface marker buoy, and some type of reflective tool (old CD's worked great) as part of my gear, because you know SH*T HAPPENS.
I would add a mobile phone at least and ideally a Garmin inReach for communications and easy, reliable tracking without cell reception. I hope there are lessons learned from this potentially deadly experience.

Reminds me of this incident https://www.counton2.com/news/where-are-they-now-charleston-lost-at-sea-survivors-10-years-later/

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022

Latest posts