Spring Depth Chart

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
listening to JF he seems to suggest there will be no depth chart at the end of spring. he needs about 12-13 players to leave the team due to the roster size, and you would think having the depth chart established would help that process. Is he planning to carry 95-100 players through August camp? that could force some very unusual situations in August.

on top of this it looks like they are still recruiting in the portal for spring. they may have to cut player in August.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
listening to JF he seems to suggest there will be no depth chart at the end of spring. he needs about 12-13 players to leave the team due to the roster size, and you would think having the depth chart established would help that process. Is he planning to carry 95-100 players through August camp? that could force some very unusual situations in August.

on top of this it looks like they are still recruiting in the portal for spring. they may have to cut player in August.
Don’t know that these are related. I’m sure all players know where they stand irrespective of a depth chart.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Is he planning to carry 95-100 players through August camp? that could force some very unusual situations in August.
They have to be down to 85 well before that.

I am sure they guys who are going to be cut don't need to see a depth chart in the local paper (or on some message board).

blion72

Oct 30, 2021

I am sure they guys who are going to be cut don't need to see a depth chart in the local paper (or on some message board).
you would assume that is the case and players leave in May so we are at 85 in August with the new arrivals. I dont recall the numbers ever being this large before. i dont recall Penn State ever have to do a mass cut of players who may not want to leave. If players knew they were never going to see the field, you would assume some would have left already.

Jf just seemed to say everything is still a competition that won't be settled until August at all positions. This is not about the board second guessing coaching decisions in a game, but simple roster math. You dont need to be an expert at coaching to see that they have a lot of players that need to leave over a short period. I am surprised the media questions have not asked JF about this.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

I'd surmise James and staff have a depth chart. They just aren't going to publish it
. There will be a stampede to the portal after the spring game, so I'm stocking up on popcorn.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021

But this is how Coach gets himself in trouble with the BWICAC. Where do these coaches get off making evaluations? I'll bet many of the portal seekers never got a chance, While others were promised a starting position. :oops:

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022

Isn't it 85 scholarships?

I did not think the number of non-scholarsgip players on the roster was limited. In theory there could be an additional 85 walk-ons.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Don't we only offer and accept 4-year scholarships any longer? I think we do. What if no one wanted to leave?

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Don't we only offer and accept 4-year scholarships any longer? I think we do. What if no one wanted to leave?
i think that is a potential problem. players are starting to realize that most players who hit the portal dont land anywhere. better to be a backup with a scholarship.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
But this is how Coach gets himself in trouble with the BWICAC. Where do these coaches get off making evaluations? I'll bet many of the portal seekers never got a chance, While others were promised a starting position. :oops:
Every recruit and transfer that I read about all say Franklin doesn’t promise any one a starting position but maybe we should ask Lando to weigh in on the subject.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
i think that is a potential problem. players are starting to realize that most players who hit the portal dont land anywhere. better to be a backup with a scholarship.
Some don't have that choice.
I think the choice is to stay at your school and not play football or try to find a school that wants you to do both.
Without a scholarship?

hapval8286

Nov 2, 2021
Isn't it 85 scholarships?

I did not think the number of non-scholarsgip players on the roster was limited. In theory there could be an additional 85 walk-ons.
Actually, a good strategy for the big NIL schools that want to try and win national championships is to have the best players who make the most NIL $$ play as a walk-on and pay for their own tuition. This would free up scholarships for more high-end players that won't get the same big time NIL $$. It would be a way to stack the roster with more high-end talent.

Reactions: SleepyLion

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
630 pm after the blue white game. @ chumleys
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Reactions: Bison13

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Every recruit and transfer that I read about all say Franklin doesn’t promise any one a starting position but maybe we should ask Lando to weigh in on the subject.
Funny you mentioned him because I was thinking of that clown when I posted that .
It's incredible fanboy fantasy to think any d1 coach would be so silly.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I used to dislike player processing but in the era of paying players and open free agency I care a lot less about it. Want to be paid like a pro athlete, get treated like a pro athlete. That means you get shown the door if you can't compete. Always said these kids need to be careful what they wish for as it comes with consequences, and this is one of them.

Last edited:

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
The portal opens 4/16 and closes 4/30. I expect players to start announcing their departure on 4/16.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
I think all scholarships are one year.
I'm pretty sure Penn State started offering4-year scholarships and later the Big Ten followed. Here is an article, just not sure if it's still a thing. If it is, I guess you could just cut the kid but move him to some other category of scholarship.

"Big Ten student-athletes will receive guaranteed scholarships that will not be
reduced or cancelled as long as the athlete “remains a member in good standing with the
community, the university, and the athletics department,” the Big Ten said in a statement. An
athlete who leaves a university will now have the opportunity to return and complete an
undergraduate degree with the guaranteed scholarship."

Reactions: SleepyLion

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
I'd surmise James and staff have a depth chart. They just aren't going to publish it
. There will be a stampede to the portal after the spring game, so I'm stocking up on popcorn.
Also, I sense there might be some surprises. There are some startling rumors floating around about thought to be "key" players headed to the portal. Anyone else smelling/seeing smoke?

Last edited:

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Also, I sense there might be some surprises. There are some startling rumors floating around about thought to be "key" players headed to the portal. Anyone else smelling/seeing smoke?
If it’s the ‘1’ I think you’re talking about I’m fine with him going. Chemistry/cancer in the clubhouse type issues

• Love
Reactions: BW Lion

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
If it’s the ‘1’ I think you’re talking about I’m fine with him going. Chemistry/cancer in the clubhouse type issues
I was not a proponent of bringing Fleming in from a production stand point. But being a Southern Columbia guy, my old teammates still live in Catawissa. His rep as a team guy was sterling even in high school. My guess is KLS wasn't gonna be the alpha dog in that room with Julian there.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
That would be consistent with my working theory of never recruiting players with hyphenated surnames.

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
Actually, a good strategy for the big NIL schools that want to try and win national championships is to have the best players who make the most NIL $$ play as a walk-on and pay for their own tuition. This would free up scholarships for more high-end players that won't get the same big time NIL $$. It would be a way to stack the roster with more high-end talent.
See Michigan circa 2023. That is exactly what they did.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
See Michigan circa 2023. That is exactly what they did.
I think the NCAA actually stopped BYU attempting this approach. they said that the NIL only players would count as scholarship players. This is the same rule that prevents athletes from getting "academic" scholarships in place of their athletic scholarships. Univ Tenn was trying to do this two years ago and got caught. I think this is an area where litigation against the NCAA will not work as it is not about individual players. Schools would lose in a fight against the NCAA (their fellow schools would be on the other side).

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
I was not a proponent of bringing Fleming in from a production stand point. But being a Southern Columbia guy, my old teammates still live in Catawissa. His rep as a team guy was sterling even in high school. My guess is KLS wasn't gonna be the alpha dog in that room with Julian there.

I agree. I think Fleming is taking advantage of the opportunity in front of him. He's the most experienced and most physically talented WR in the room when healthy. If he stays healthy and that's the big if, he's probably our #1.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
PSU has too many WRs (15), RBs/TEs (12), and DL (22) and that’s where the cuts will take place. Might see some others but mostly likely the herd will be trimmed in those three “rooms”!

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
PSU has too many WRs (15), RBs/TEs (12), and DL (22) and that’s where the cuts will take place. Might see some others but mostly likely the herd will be trimmed in those three “rooms”!
I think those are the areas. On a typical roster - WR's about 10, DL about 16, RBs about 5-6, TE's about 6. OL and DB may also have take a haircut.

Since we don't have an IR we don't cut injured players. I think there are a few guys who may have long term injury and recovery. you also are not cutting the incoming FR. This almost guarantees we will be cutting players who have been talked about as being key backups.

It is also possible that they seek to recruit from the portal, which would increase the number of cuts.

Latest posts