I’ve seen reactions all over the place:
4-8 here we come
8-9 wins is possible
Sellers was electric
SEC will eat Sellers up
Loggain’s offense looked smooth and fluid
Loggain’s offense was dull and boring

Basically every take possible.

I didn’t see the game. Any reasonable/rational takes here.

Reactions: Paracock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I stopped going to and watching spring games in the 20th century. They are nothing burgers to me.
They don’t mean much for sure. Maybe not anything.

I’ve just seen the whole spectrum of reactions to our game, from downright elation to hopeless despair.

Reactions: DrMickeySC

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022
They aren't going to show anything creative. Sellers looked good to me. Ashford looked athletic. Reno looked like a solid freshman in his first spring. The big dude #11 looked okay, but kept getting "sacked" by being touched by a defender. Kroeger is probably still our best player :)

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Sellers is the best qb (tallest pigmy), OL and DL are mediocre at best, lots of wide open receivers (good receivers or bad DBs?), Ashford is still awful.

5-7 will be about what we should expect. Anything better will be a bonus.

Benjdan

Joined Mar 4, 2007
Feb 19, 2022
I was impressed by the tackling. The D was flying to the ball and making very good open field tackles.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Of course, the spring game is not going to tell you everything you need to know. However, it did tell you that Sellers will be able to make plays with his legs. It did tell you that Sellers has the arm talent to make all the throws. It did tell you that Sellers is probably the most physically imposing QB we have had (with the exception of the Beville kid who we don't expect to play). Sellers is the guy at the QB position going into the fall. Just need to know how he will react to live action now. How does he process information in live action, etc.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Of course, the spring game is not going to tell you everything you need to know. However, it did tell you that Sellers will be able to make plays with his legs. It did tell you that Sellers has the arm talent to make all the throws. It did tell you that Sellers is probably the most physically imposing QB we have had (with the exception of the Beville kid who we don't expect to play). Sellers is the guy at the QB position going into the fall. Just need to know how he will react to live action now. How does he process information in live action, etc.

I don't think there's any question he can throw it. One of the sports dudes on Twitter (Crawford or Uva, maybe?) said his best throw was probably an incompletion to a WR who was tightly covered, but Sellers still threaded the ball in and hit the receiver in the hands but he dropped it. And he has wheels. With the limited data we have, he looks like a good dual threat QB. One who can throw AND run. Not just an A+ runner but a C passer.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I'm excited about Sellers, but if he has no blocking, run support or receivers who can catch the ball, we are in trouble.
The big question is, will the OL be SEC caliber allowing us to have some kind of respectable running game and adequate pass blocking so we are not totally reliable on Sellers scrambling for positive yardage the entire game.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm excited about Sellers, but if he has no blocking, run support or receivers who can catch the ball, we are in trouble.
The big question is, will the OL be SEC caliber allowing us to have some kind of respectable running game and adequate pass blocking so we are not totally reliable on Sellers scrambling for positive yardage the entire game.

I am very excited about Sellers, mainly b/c we haven't had a young, promising, homegrown QB to be excited about in quite a while. Rattler was a veteran before he came and certainly not homegrown. The year before that was a patchwork QB season, which included a grad assistant suiting up. 2020 was the disastrous Hill fiasco (he's got a Sunday arm!!!)...one our great QB blunders ever. I was pretty excited about Hilinksi, but he had a pile of hot doodoo for coaches, and I think his development as a QB was screwed from the get-go (my own personal take). Before that was Bentley, who I was never super excited about for some reason (don't know why...I just never bought into the "he should be attending his senior prom this week" stuff). I was hopeful on Bentley, but never stoked.

I'm allowing myself to be excited about Sellers.

Reactions: AngloCock

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I thought Sellers looked good running the ball but too many times he was able to look good running the ball because the D had no contain on him. He definitely has the physical tools but he hasn't really been tested by a legit SEC D yet. I think the best Spring games are the ones where the #1 D faces the #1 O and the #2 D faces the #2 O. I think those setups give the best preview of what a team really has. Mixing up the depth chart for Spring games makes both squads look better and worse at the same time.

Reactions: Cackmandu

TooCocky

Joined Aug 2, 2018
Jan 31, 2022
I thought Sellers looked good running the ball but too many times he was able to look good running the ball because the D had no contain on him. He definitely has the physical tools but he hasn't really been tested by a legit SEC D yet. I think the best Spring games are the ones where the #1 D faces the #1 O and the #2 D faces the #2 O. I think those setups give the best preview of what a team really has. Mixing up the depth chart for Spring games makes both squads look better and worse at the same time.
Well they had contain on him on the td run. It just so happens that the left tackle, tackled the end that would have made the tackle…. Had he not been tackled.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Well they had contain on him on the td run. It just so happens that the left tackle, tackled the end that would have made the tackle…. Had he not been tackled.
Well, the SEC "officials" don't call holding at all so that was a great play by the OL.

Reactions: TooCocky

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Good points, the talk shows are talking up Sellers, both lines are going to better with added depth, we're finally going to have SEC rb's and depth, we're more experienced and deeper at db, lb's are not as big but faster. Small at receiver, need a bigger deep threat (Harbour), hopefully we are as good or better at TE. So I'm very confused with all the angst, I'm not saying we're going to win the league, but we should be better overall, we'll definitely miss Rattler, but hopefully with less OL injuries and more experience it balances out!

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
When you're coaching both sides of the ball you can make them look however you want. It's a spectacle, but means nothing, an open practice under the lights.

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
Sellers was electric, very impressed with him. Does that translate to more than 6 wins? Probably not. We are still looking for WR’a in the portal so a big get could be huge. I still don’t think Harbor has developed the skills to be elite, but he definitely could get there. O-line so young but still better than last year’s. Six wins and a bowl game would be nice next year, anything else is gravy. Recruiting is looking good. Be patient or start over? As long as recruiting is competitive I’m willing to ride it out longer.

Reactions: 1vagamecock

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
Agreed, Beamer seems to be recruiting well even without a lot of past success to sell. I still say being bowl eligible is the ceiling for next year. But… with the new college football landscape kids are going to want to be in one of the 2 power conferences so that may help us going forward, who knows

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Sellers was electric, very impressed with him. Does that translate to more than 6 wins? Probably not. We are still looking for WR’a in the portal so a big get could be huge. I still don’t think Harbor has developed the skills to be elite, but he definitely could get there. O-line so young but still better than last year’s. Six wins and a bowl game would be nice next year, anything else is gravy. Recruiting is looking good. Be patient or start over? As long as recruiting is competitive I’m willing to ride it out longer.
The cynical side of me keeps saying that Sellers looking so good is a reflection of our defense being weak. Also, our "electric" qb only managed 17 points in a scrimmage. 6 wins is the absolute ceiling at this point.

I'd say be patient and accept that we are a 7 win program and stop torturing ourselves with the idea that we are somehow going to be a top tier team. Enjoy the tailgates and watch the games for a few hours of entertainment on Saturdays in the Fall. USC can be one of the teams that a bowl invite and a middling bowl win can be a cause for celebration. 8-5 or 9-4 should be seasons to remember. Wins over Clemson should define a truly outstanding season.

• Wow

Paracock

Joined Jun 1, 2009 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 19, 2022
The cynical side of me keeps saying that Sellers looking so good is a reflection of our defense being weak. Also, our "electric" qb only managed 17 points in a scrimmage. 6 wins is the absolute ceiling at this point.

I'd say be patient and accept that we are a 7 win program and stop torturing ourselves with the idea that we are somehow going to be a top tier team. Enjoy the tailgates and watch the games for a few hours of entertainment on Saturdays in the Fall. USC can be one of the teams that a bowl invite and a middling bowl win can be a cause for celebration. 8-5 or 9-4 should be seasons to remember. Wins over Clemson should define a truly outstanding season.
Nope

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

A few months ago, this would be reasonable. Now? It's the annual post spring practice/ramp up to season time of getting way too excited about our prospects. Now we need to be talking about 10 win seasons and possibly making the playoffs.

Reactions: 92Pony

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
Next year 6 wins is probably the ceiling, but I have to say recruiting is looking good and who knows how good Sellers could be after next year. If we can’t recruit great receivers can still go get some in the portal. We have a lot of young o-line talent so they will be way better 2 years down the road. I’m not giving up on the future, just think we shouldn’t expect too much next year. If Sellers does turn out to be “Superman “ then we could be very hard to deal with down the road. Still way too early to say and too much to put on him this upcoming season

Gamecock Vet

Feb 13, 2022
You
I am very excited about Sellers, mainly b/c we haven't had a young, promising, homegrown QB to be excited about in quite a while. Rattler was a veteran before he came and certainly not homegrown. The year before that was a patchwork QB season, which included a grad assistant suiting up. 2020 was the disastrous Hill fiasco (he's got a Sunday arm!!!)...one our great QB blunders ever. I was pretty excited about Hilinksi, but he had a pile of hot doodoo for coaches, and I think his development as a QB was screwed from the get-go (my own personal take). Before that was Bentley, who I was never super excited about for some reason (don't know why...I just never bought into the "he should be attending his senior prom this week" stuff). I was hopeful on Bentley, but never stoked.

I'm allowing myself to be excited about Sellers.
forgot about Conner Shaw. He won a ton of games while here!

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Next year 6 wins is probably the ceiling, but I have to say recruiting is looking good and who knows how good Sellers could be after next year. If we can’t recruit great receivers can still go get some in the portal. We have a lot of young o-line talent so they will be way better 2 years down the road. I’m not giving up on the future, just think we shouldn’t expect too much next year. If Sellers does turn out to be “Superman “ then we could be very hard to deal with down the road. Still way too early to say and too much to put on him this upcoming season
"WAIT TIL YEAR AFTER NEXT!!"...Sigh. Sellers may be good but keep in mind he was a 3 star recruit and we beat out Syracuse, Virginia, App State and Coastal for him. Also, the portal isn't like going into a grocery store and picking through the produce until you find the apple you like when it comes to getting WRs. A "great" receiver has to go into the portal and the grocery store process is basically reversed. The WR picks where he wants to go from the teams that show interest in him. If a WR is truly "great" and he has interest from SC, Clemson, UGA, Bama, Ohio State and Texas, the odds of him deciding SC is the best place to go are not great. Recruiting isn't what I'd call "looking good" either. Right now, we are sitting at #33 with 6 commits made up of 1 4 star and 5 three stars. By comparison, Clemson is at #5 with 9 4 stars and 2 3 stars. The OL talent will likely be better in 2 years but there is no guarantee they will be really good. In fact, there is nothing to really suggest that will be the case.

Some people need to come to grips with reality.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
"WAIT TIL YEAR AFTER NEXT!!"...Sigh. Sellers may be good but keep in mind he was a 3 star recruit and we beat out Syracuse, Virginia, App State and Coastal for him. Also, the portal isn't like going into a grocery store and picking through the produce until you find the apple you like when it comes to getting WRs. A "great" receiver has to go into the portal and the grocery store process is basically reversed. The WR picks where he wants to go from the teams that show interest in him. If a WR is truly "great" and he has interest from SC, Clemson, UGA, Bama, Ohio State and Texas, the odds of him deciding SC is the best place to go are not great. Recruiting isn't what I'd call "looking good" either. Right now, we are sitting at #33 with 6 commits made up of 1 4 star and 5 three stars. By comparison, Clemson is at #5 with 9 4 stars and 2 3 stars. The OL talent will likely be better in 2 years but there is no guarantee they will be really good. In fact, there is nothing to really suggest that will be the case.

Connor Shaw was also a 3* recruit and we didn't beat out anyone remarkable for him either.

I am in agreement that recruiting rankings generally matter, but there are a ton of 3* players that turn out to be quite good.

I just don't see any reason why we can't be excited about Sellers. I'm as jaded as any Gamecock fan there is, but I really like the looks of him as a QB.

Paracock

Jan 19, 2022

Stars🤬

You'll have to eat your words about Sellers after this coming season. Stars irrelevant a this point. He is special

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Stars🤬
You'll have to eat your words about Sellers after this coming season. Stars irrelevant a this point. He is special
LOL; I love how when we sign a 5 star it is a huge story and the player is a "huge get" and a "can't miss prospect" and when someone points out that an unproven player that is getting irrational worship was a 3 star recruit it becomes, "Stars irrelevant at this point". Sellers appears to have the physical tools to be good but so far he is being judged as "special" due to his play against Furman and in the Spring game.

I do admit I have higher hopes for Sellers than for Harbor.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Paracock

Jan 19, 2022
LOL; I love how when we sign a 5 star it is a huge story and the player is a "huge get" and a "can't miss prospect" and when someone points out that an unproven player that is getting irrational worship was a 3 star recruit it becomes, "Stars irrelevant at this point". Sellers appears to have the physical tools to be good but so far he is being judged as "special" due to his play against Furman and in the Spring game.

Man, find some joy.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

I don't know that anyone is basing their optimism for Sellers solely on how he performed in the Furman game. That's kind of a straw man put out there by the anti-Sellers crowd.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I don't know that anyone is basing their optimism for Sellers solely on how he performed in the Furman game. That's kind of a straw man put out there by the anti-Sellers crowd.

To be fair, he did say the Furman game and the Spring Game.

But i think we're all manufacturing an argument where there shouldn't be one.

He's our qb. We have high hopes. There is nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see some production before getting too excited either.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
Reality is we were not the 33rd best team in the country last year but are, as you pointed out, 33rd in recruiting at present and that will rise. If “your” reality is to win the Sec next year or maybe compete for a Natty in 2 years, then no, that’s not happening. That’s not “my “ reality. We are the type of program that’s never been able to build on past successes. We have to give a guy a chance to build and know when to move on. I don’t think we are at that point yet. Ask me again in 2 years and I might be there. In this era of the portal anybody can go out and fill needs, aka Juice Wells 2 years ago. In this era, I think anything is possible over time. Portal seems to screw everyone so maybe we can use to our advantage. Being in one of the power conferences will definitely help, though it may have hurt in the past. Power conference teams will get all the money, better to be a mid-level power conference team to be out in the cold. I’m a southern boy, don’t like the cold

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Reality is we were not the 33rd best team in the country last year but are, as you pointed out, 33rd in recruiting at present and that will rise. If “your” reality is to win the Sec next year or maybe compete for a Natty in 2 years, then no, that’s not happening. That’s not “my “ reality. We are the type of program that’s never been able to build on past successes. We have to give a guy a chance to build and know when to move on. I don’t think we are at that point yet. Ask me again in 2 years and I might be there. In this era of the portal anybody can go out and fill needs, aka Juice Wells 2 years ago. In this era, I think anything is possible over time. Portal seems to screw everyone so maybe we can use to our advantage. Being in one of the power conferences will definitely help, though it may have hurt in the past. Power conference teams will get all the money, better to be a mid-level power conference team to be out in the cold. I’m a southern boy, don’t like the cold
We are consistently mid to high teens in recruiting rankings. That has been our historical position for quite some time. We aren't finishing in the teens in our final rankings as a team. Filling needs via the portal is a fools errand. What did getting Juice actually accomplish for us? Developing talent is the key to success. If Ole Miss really makes any noise this season they will be the ONLY team to have built a quality roster with portal players and Kiffen is a pretty good coach. I'm not going to count on the portal screwing everyone but us and we somehow manage to flourish with the portal while other teams are hurt by it.

We are going to have to get a good bit better to be an actual "mid-level power conference team". Beating three cupcakes and Vandy to get to 4 wins or three cupcakes, Vandy and UK to get to 5 wins makes us a lower level SEC team. Beamer (and Muschamp) were sold to us as strong recruiters. Spurrier was a well known poor recruiter. Who had the better recruiting classes?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We are consistently mid to high teens in recruiting rankings. That has been our historical position for quite some time. We aren't finishing in the teens in our final rankings as a team. Filling needs via the portal is a fools errand. What did getting Juice actually accomplish for us? Developing talent is the key to success. If Ole Miss really makes any noise this season they will be the ONLY team to have built a quality roster with portal players and Kiffen is a pretty good coach. I'm not going to count on the portal screwing everyone but us and we somehow manage to flourish with the portal while other teams are hurt by it.

We are going to have to get a good bit better to be an actual "mid-level power conference team". Beating three cupcakes and Vandy to get to 4 wins or three cupcakes, Vandy and UK to get to 5 wins makes us a lower level SEC team. Beamer (and Muschamp) were sold to us as strong recruiters. Spurrier was a well known poor recruiter. Who had the better recruiting classes?

Agree. Another thing is that even though we have typically recruited mid to high teens, that's usually only been good enough for being in the bottom half of the SEC.

Interesting question about Wells. Need @DaboSits2PeePee to be here to tell us how great the portal has been to us!

Reality is, we start most years with 4 built-in wins. We're not talking about needing to win 6 games to get bowl eligible. We're talking about winning 2 games. A record of 2-6 to get a bowl game.

Reactions: Lurker123

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Agree. Another thing is that even though we have typically recruited mid to high teens, that's usually only been good enough for being in the bottom half of the SEC.

Interesting question about Wells. Need @DaboSits2PeePee to be here to tell us how great the portal has been to us!

Reality is, we start most years with 4 built-in wins. We're not talking about needing to win 6 games to get bowl eligible. We're talking about winning 2 games. A record of 2-6 to get a bowl game.
The 2-6 thing is why I place zero stock in bowl eligibility these days. No 6 win team needs to be "rewarded" for the season in any way, especially when they allow 1 FCS win to count towards bowl eligibility.

Latest posts