State v OSU score predictions

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Penn State - 33
OSU - 24

OSU playing at home with a 4.5 point spread, The wise guys are putting money on the Lions.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Excluding Youngstown State and Western Kentucky OSU is averaging 30 pts per game. ND held OSU to 17 but I don't think we can do that. OSU scored 37 on MD and I think we'll do better than that. I'll split the difference and say OSU will score between 24 and 27 pts. So the question is if PSU can continue it's streak of 30 pt games against OSU on the road. My head says no and the game will come down to turnovers. Allar is due to toss his first INT. If that happens:

OSU 24
PSU 17

But if PSU wins the TO battle I think we can squeak out enough offense to pull off the upset.

PSU 24
OSU 20

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Don’t post here much, but I think we win this game merely because of “The Law of Averages”(if you believe in that type of thing).

Here are tOSUs win streaks against us:

1 - 93

2 - 95,96

1 - 98

1 - 00

3 - 02,03,04

2 - 06, 07

2 - 09, 10

4 - 12,13,14,16

6 - 17,18,19,20,21,22

I think we win because 6 in a row is NOT the norm, for this game.

We are waaaaay overdue.

PSU 20
OSU 17

SO TIRED OF LOSING TO THEM!!!!!!
If PSU wins, then it will be that type of score. I don’t have faith in this PSU staff to win against the big boys. Ryan Day and Co are a very good staff playing at home. A lot has to go PSU’s way to overcome that.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
This game "should" be a close one and Vegas clearly thinks so too. I think this one even though it is on the road is the better match up than UM even at home. Head says tOSU 24 PSU 20, heart has it flipped. I think the run to 30 stops unless tOSU falls apart on special teams or the D comes up with some points. Either team can win this game and the one that plays the cleaner game, limits the turnovers and explosive plays should win it.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
I also see this as very even game with matchups on an even draw. they have had two RBs out along with their #2 WR, which may give us a little edge. OSU OFF v PSU DEF (edge to us), and PSU OFF v OSU DEF (edge to OSU). feel like around 20 could win this versus a shoot out.

In that kind of game special team matchup will play a key role. Feel good about our KO, and return games. FG and punting are where I feel very uncertain.
I expect their two RBs and that WR to play even if they are not 100%.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Jukebox thread will be going strong on Saturday afternoon/night if that occurs.

Meanwhile, in the Official Game Thread:

Comedy Fire GIF by Prime Video UK

Last edited:

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I worry that the OSU defense is going to put a lot of pressure on Allar and with the home crowd it’s going to be a very tough atmosphere for him. The key may be how much our running game and sideline passing game can help take some this pressure away.
Look Nitt,
James says.....obviously
😉

Reactions: rudedude

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
24-20 PSU

Hardy returns a punt for a TD.
Kayton gets a couple scores
Manny's scheme gets enough pressure on McCord that Harrison doesn't have a chance to win it for them

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
The biggest risk to our defense is the fact that OSU runs WR's out there with NFL talent. If they pick up a blitz or two well hang on to your hats because OSU, better than any team in the country, can exploit an overly aggressive defense. Our DB's need to have the games of their lives.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I don't believe I've ever seen PSU beat osu during the day. The rare times it happens have always been at night.

Come to think of it, what is PSU's biggest win at noon this century? I don't recall a big win ever happening during the day.

Reactions: WestSideLion

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
You repeatedly assume that because you personally aren’t cool with 9-2 that other people are. I’m not, and don’t know of anyone on this board who is. We want 10-1 or 11-0 very very badly. We want playoffs very very badly.
Say it again louder and louder. This idea that only a few people want to beat UM or tOSU is an odd take for sure.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
You repeatedly assume that because you personally aren’t cool with 9-2 that other people are. I’m not, and don’t know of anyone on this board who is. We want 10-1 or 11-0 very very badly. We want playoffs very very badly.

Success scares me. Of course, I’ve never experienced it.

😞

Reactions: Nits74 and LionJim

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Wasn't the game where Zack Mills ran wild a day game?

Maybe that one, but it is lost in the sands of time for me. 2011 I don't remember that one either, that whole year is a black out.

I can't imagine putting those bums away before the sun goes down. It would be weird.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Score? Who knows?

But I would be surprised if the game doesn't feature a large dose of blitzing from both sides.
We all know how blitz-happy Diaz is - and the worst thing you can do vs OSU is allow McCord to be comfortable (you do that, and it doesn't matter how good the PSU defensive backs are).
Knowles has ratcheted back a lot this year (after being blitz happy for most of his career)

But neither team's offense has shown a lot of ability to make the other team pay for blitzing.
Neither offensive line does a real good job against extra rushers. Neither team's QB has done real well under pressure. Neither QB scares you with the potential to take off and make a big play after escaping the pocket against pressure.
Where OSU scares you is with the wideouts in open space in man coverage - and just making big time plays.

Where OSU (should) scare themselves is with McCord's tendency to drop his eyes very quickly when under pressure. Consistent pressure - without giving up an inordinate number of downfield plays - would be key for PSU, I think.

Scariest element for PSU, I think, is that they average LESS than 7 yards per pass. Public protestations aside, if that figure - against the PSU schedule to date - isn't having the PSU staff pulling their hair out wondering "WTF", I would be very surprised (that is very poor performance, even against solid defenses, and PSU hasn't played a murderer's row, and that is a very success-determinate stat). OSU is averaging around 10 yards per pass. OSU also averaging, IIRC, about a full yard per carry more than PSU from their RBs. Those numbers, obviously, can't hold if PSU is to come out with the win.

I'd also pay a lot of attention to how much PSU pulls in the run game. The OSU defense has been very good thus far, obviously. But the one thing that sticks out is their struggles at times in the run game when the opponent pulls linemen and changes the gaps.
Nourzad could be a big factor. He has been, IMO, the unsung hero and the most improved player on the offense since moving back to center. His last couple of weeks he has played as well as any PSU center in recent years.

Last edited:

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
FWIW, quick look, of the 20 P5 teams with the highest yards per pass attempt - 17 are ranked.
So, no doubt it is a huge indicator of winning games.

Only ranked team below PSU (which came in around 88th or so - one spot above Pitt w Jurkovic) was - VERY obviously, for as long as they stay in the rankings - Iowa.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Score? Who knows?

But I would be surprised if the game doesn't feature a large dose of blitzing from both sides.
We all know how blitz-happy Diaz is - and the worst thing you can do vs OSU is allow McCord to be comfortable (you do that, and it doesn't matter how good the PSU defensive backs are).
Knowles has ratcheted back a lot this year (after being blitz happy for most of his career)

But neither team's offense has shown a lot of ability to make the other team pay for blitzing.
Neither offensive line does a real good job against extra rushers. Neither team's QB has done real well under pressure. Neither QB scares you with the potential to take off and make a big play after escaping the pocket against pressure.
Where OSU scares you is with the wideouts in open space in man coverage - and just making big time plays.

Where OSU (should) scare themselves is with McCord's tendency to drop his eyes very quickly when under pressure. Consistent pressure - without giving up an inordinate number of downfield plays - would be key for PSU, I think.

Scariest element for PSU, I think, is that they average LESS than 7 yards per pass. Public protestations aside, if that figure - against the PSU schedule to date - isn't having the PSU staff pulling their hair out wondering "WTF", I would be very surprised (that is very poor performance, even against solid defenses, and PSU hasn't played a murderer's row, and that is a very success-determinate stat). OSU is averaging around 10 yards per pass. OSU also averaging, IIRC, about a full yard per carry more than PSU from their RBs. Those numbers, obviously, can't hold if PSU is to come out with the win.

I'd also pay a lot of attention to how much PSU pulls in the run game. The OSU defense has been very good thus far, obviously. But the one thing that sticks out is their struggles at times in the run game when the opponent pulls linemen and changes the gaps.
Nourzad could be a big factor. He has been, IMO, the unsung hero and the most improved player on the offense since moving back to center. His last couple of weeks he has played as well as any PSU center in recent years.

Also - is this ‘less than…’ or ‘fewer than…’?

Batman Internet GIF