Sunday Night Tidbits With Head Coach Donte Williams

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Every Sunday night during the football season the current USC head coach meets with the media via ZOOM; here are some quick-hitters from the Q & A.

1. Coach was very candid about the win yesterday; it was great but in reality the team has only played "one good half of football this year, and there is still a lot to clean up, including from me and the staff."
  2. Kedon Slovis is anticipated back and ready for practice tomorrow; all tests and x-rays came back negative.
  3. As far as naming the starter going into the Oregon St. game, a decision will be made as late as possible and that's a problem for Oregon St. to have to game plan for.--It's not an USC problem.
  4. Donte loves to live in the moment and decisions on who will play and how much will be decided in that moment. Williams was asked about Jalen McKenzie playing the 2nd half over starting RT, Jonah Monheim, and Donte basically said, Coach McGuire felt Jalen was playing best for the team in the moment.
  5. A 2-QB approach is not out of the question. More on this from Erik McKinney later.
  6. The attention to detail was highlighted again regarding removing players from games when they commit penalties and it will be noticeable more at practice this week. One example used that will be addressed: Coach said he did not want players wearing sleeves on their arms, and then pointed out Dart's fumble during the game.
  7. Accountability to paying attention falls on the head coach as well when he brought up the Delay of Game penalty that could have been avoided if he ran out to the middle of the field to make sure they get the timeout called. The effect was felt one play later with Jaxson's interception.
  8. Complacency is a non-starter so players will see playing time diminished if it looks like they're getting comfortable.
  9. I asked Donte which coaching influences in his life he's had the chance to speak with since last night, and one name that he mentioned out of the blue that my attention was Matt Rhule.

Last edited:

USC1

Aug 24, 2017
Good stuff. I like that he hasn’t named a starter make them game plan for both.

No word on Drake London I would think he will be in concussion protocol.

I will be interested to see who starts at CB and nickel. I can see Greg Johnson and CB start to get pushed by CDW in practice now that practice is going to determine starters and playing time

also be interested to see if D Jackson plays more DL

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Ladera Trojan

Aug 24, 2017
I mentioned in the game thread about a coach needing to help the True Frosh QB out by calling the timeout on the delay of game penalty.

But this is Donte’s first time being the Head Coach on game day. This is all new to him. He is used to watching his DBs play and what adjustments he can make with them, not keeping an eye on the play clock. So there will be some growing pains in the game day decision making.

But I sure like whatever he said in his halftime speech :) .

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021

I will be interested to see who starts at CB and nickel. I can see Greg Johnson and CB start to get pushed by CDW in practice now that practice is going to determine starters and playing time

Drake London will be there on Saturday but I would anticipate seeing him get as much rest as possible during the week.

billsb1970

Aug 24, 2017
Interesting comment about Mckenzie. I thought he played poorly after watching the replay this afternoon. I really hope the coaches open up the competition going forward. Best man plays Period.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
At what point in the game did Washington St lose their starting quarterback? What was the score? The whole thing went over my head until I read they had a walk-on quarterback playing after the injury.

ScLaw88

Aug 31, 2021
Every Sunday night during the football season the current USC head coach meets with the media via ZOOM; here are some quick-hitters from the Q & A.

1. Coach was very candid about the win yesterday; it was great but in reality the team has only played "one good half of football this year, and there is still a lot to clean up, including from me and the staff."
  2. Kedon Slovis is anticipated back and ready for practice tomorrow; all tests and x-rays came back negative.
  3. As far as naming the starter going into the Oregon St. game, a decision will be made as late as possible and that's a problem for Oregon St. to have to game plan for.--It's not an USC problem.
  4. Donte loves to live in the moment and decisions on who will play and how much will be decided in that moment. Williams was asked about Jalen McKenzie playing the 2nd half over starting RT, Jonah Monheim, and Donte basically said, Coach McGuire felt Jalen was playing best for the team in the moment.
  5. A 2-QB approach is not out of the question. More on this from Erik McKinney later.
  6. The attention to detail was highlighted again regarding removing players from games when they commit penalties and it will be noticeable more at practice this week. One example used that will be addressed: Coach said he did not want players wearing sleeves on their arms, and then pointed out Dart's fumble during the game.
  7. Accountability to paying attention falls on the head coach as well when he brought up the Delay of Game penalty that could have been avoided if he ran out to the middle of the field to make sure they get the timeout called. The effect was felt one play later with Jaxson's interception.
  8. Complacency is a non-starter so players will see playing time diminished if it looks like they're getting comfortable.
  9. I asked Donte which coaching influences in his life he's had the chance to speak with since last night, and one name that he mentioned out of the blue that my attention was Matt Rhule.
In the Game Thread yesterday, someone asked if Steele saw the field again after being taken off because of his late, out of bounds hit. I didn't see any reply to that question. Does anyone know how long Steele was held on the sideline? I hope it is more than 1 play because that penalty was a horrendous lack of judgment; not only was the pass incomplete but the guy was out of bounds when Steele hit him - not even close to being a legal hit.

This would be a great example of holding players accountable if he was actually removed for a significant amount of time.

Refhater

Aug 29, 2017
In the Game Thread yesterday, someone asked if Steele saw the field again after being taken off because of his late, out of bounds hit. I didn't see any reply to that question. Does anyone know how long Steele was held on the sideline? I hope it is more than 1 play because that penalty was a horrendous lack of judgment; not only was the pass incomplete but the guy was out of bounds when Steele hit him - not even close to being a legal hit.

This would be a great example of holding players accountable if he was actually removed for a significant amount of time.
He was out for one play, maybe two, before he went back in.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

Reactions: Troy70

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021

He was out for one play and it's something I'm going to address in Monday's Morass.

SCMomentum

Sep 22, 2017
The run game…In Plaschke’s article on the firing of CH…interesting comment from Harrell…

Then there was this damning quote from offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, who, when asked about the running game, basically said the Trojans didn’t want it bad enough.

“I think they wanted to make the tackle more than we wanted to make some blocks a couple times,” he said.

Think about that. In their first conference game, they’re already suffering from a lack of motivation?
—————————————————————————

This was after the Stanford game. It appears whatever work and motivation took place this past week fell woefully short of the mark. Concerning indeed. Loooong season ahead of we stay one dimensional.

• Wow

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
The run game…In Plaschke’s article on the firing of CH…interesting comment from Harrell…

Then there was this damning quote from offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, who, when asked about the running game, basically said the Trojans didn’t want it bad enough.

“I think they wanted to make the tackle more than we wanted to make some blocks a couple times,” he said.

Think about that. In their first conference game, they’re already suffering from a lack of motivation?

This was after the Stanford game. It appears whatever work and motivation took place this past week fell woefully short of the mark. Concerning indeed. Loooong season ahead of we stay one dimensional.
At a certain point Graham has to look in the mirror. It's his offense and he gets very little input during play calling. Will be interesting to see how that dynamic changes, if at all.

USC1

Aug 24, 2017
At a certain point Graham has to look in the mirror. It's his offense and he gets very little input during play calling. Will be interesting to see how that dynamic changes, if at all.
Absolutely this is his offense he is suppose to be the mastermind of this offense what are his counter punch to what the mighty Cougar did to his running game. The RB’s average 1 yard per carry.
Our pass blocking is ok not great so how come somebody like Jason Rodriguez a 4 star recruit who according to some is a run blocking OL can’t get sometime. His pass blocking can’t be as bad as some of our starters run blocking.
Another question how come we aren’t training our OL to do both. Most of the other 185 D 1 schools have linemen who can do both??

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

I think it's IMPERATIVE that Jackson moves back to DE. He's so good there and so ineffective (by comparison at least) at LB. He needs to be in on more plays.

Reactions: Troy70 and Pudly76

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
At what point in the game did Washington St lose their starting quarterback? What was the score? The whole thing went over my head until I read they had a walk-on quarterback playing after the injury.
They took a huge hit. Their starter was pretty good but the subs were scrubs.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

I'd like to know the answer to that question too. Donte chewed him out, but I thought he came back in after one play. I would have been furious with him if I was Donte. He'd have sat out the rest of the half if it was me.

Reactions: Pudly76

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I'd like to know the answer to that question too. Donte chewed him out, but I thought he came back in after one play. I would have been furious with him if I was Donte. He'd have sat out the rest of the half if it was me.
He didn't make a mistake after that one play of being out. So Donte did his job, next time though (better not be one)...

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Absolutely this is his offense he is suppose to be the mastermind of this offense what are his counter punch to what the mighty Cougar did to his running game. The RB’s average 1 yard per carry.
Our pass blocking is ok not great so how come somebody like Jason Rodriguez a 4 star recruit who according to some is a run blocking OL can’t get sometime. His pass blocking can’t be as bad as some of our starters run blocking.
Another question how come we aren’t training our OL to do both. Most of the other 185 D 1 schools have linemen who can do both??
I asked this question before but do SC OL ever hit the blocking sled? Sure doesn't look like it. Their run blocking looks very passive to me.

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
Drake London will be there on Saturday but I would anticipate seeing him get as much rest as possible during the week.
Sorry, was it a head injury? It looked like he was out for a second. Don't the guys usually end up missing at least a week or two when this happens? It's hard to keep track of the protocols.

• Wow

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Sorry, was it a head injury? It looked like he was out for a second. Don't the guys usually end up missing at least a week or two when this happens? It's hard to keep track of the protocols.
They'll keep an eye on him and we'll update accordingly. His head slammed hard on the ground when watching it live and the immediate TV replay in the press box.

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
They'll keep an eye on him and we'll update accordingly. His head slammed hard on the ground when watching it live and the immediate TV replay in the press box.
thanks marc. i'd hate to see him miss time b/c he really has a chance to put up some HUGE numbers this year

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
He came out of halftime with a knee brace and then jogged back into the locker room. He came out a little late and watched from the sideline. When things started going badly, it seemed like he put himself into the game. It was right after the sack/fumble/touchdown. His first throw was the Calen Bullock interception. He threw two incompletions after that and went to the sideline for good.

Reactions: Troy70

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
Monheim's technique is a mess. Not surprised he sat out the 2nd half. Neilon was also terrible in run blocking. Dedich needs to seriously get a shot at replacing him. Totally agree Jason needs to get playing time. Our weakness is his strength.

ScLaw88

Aug 31, 2021

If he really feels this way, then everyone that doesn't appear to want to "make some blocks" need to sit for 2-3 possessions on Saturday.

Last edited:

Latest posts