Sunshine Pumpers

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jun 19, 2015
1,295
1,138
113
I’m not super computer savvy …takes me a while to figure out the new stuff that comes out. I was convinced there was a dept. of people assigned to post here and amongst other social media in favor of Beamer when hired. Some of us called them sunshine pumpers, and I think most went away after a year or so. The last 2 weeks have reminded me of that time right after he was first hired.
Never had been a coordinator or HC before, and all the other reasons. I felt like he played the game of not wanting to bring in top coordinators that were long term solutions to make sure he wasn’t fostering his potential replacement most of his tenure….until OC Briles this year (when he knew it was now or never).
can you believe we were 1 year late courting Kirby smart and forced GA hand to make moves and secure him? SMH.
 

cocksx5

Redshirt
Aug 16, 2026
78
35
18
no p4 successful coach coming here,
will have to b o or d coordinator, or another I wanna b here beamer clone,
Ala sparky, the similarities r remarkable in results, my son and I switched to other games mid way thru 2nd q our family
use to b full scholly giver 8 tix for 30 yrs, quit when all kids graduated happen to coincide with hiring of chump
it's a shame we r not arky fans, they stayed away from game last week, we r gluttons for punishment!!!!!!!
really bad part is men bball going to b nightmare, we all just are thankful for Dawn, the real face of usc athletics
 
Sep 27, 2026
1
4
0
I’m not super computer savvy …takes me a while to figure out the new stuff that comes out. I was convinced there was a dept. of people assigned to post here and amongst other social media in favor of Beamer when hired. Some of us called them sunshine pumpers, and I think most went away after a year or so. The last 2 weeks have reminded me of that time right after he was first hired.
Never had been a coordinator or HC before, and all the other reasons. I felt like he played the game of not wanting to bring in top coordinators that were long term solutions to make sure he wasn’t fostering his potential replacement most of his tenure….until OC Briles this year (when he knew it was now or never).
can you believe we were 1 year late courting Kirby smart and forced GA hand to make moves and secure him? SMH.
I should probably establish something before Gamecock fans start throwing things: I am a Clemson guy.


But my daughter went to South Carolina, and because of her I spent a lot of Saturdays in Columbia. I went to home games, tailgated around Williams Brice, got to know the atmosphere and found myself pulling for the Gamecocks when they were not playing Clemson. I had a lot of fun there. South Carolina fans show up, they care deeply, and they know how to make a football Saturday feel important.


I also learned that delusion can be part of the tailgate package.


Which is why I keep laughing when I hear, “We deserve better.”


Better than what, exactly?


South Carolina has been playing football since 1892 and has won one conference championship, the 1969 ACC title. Since joining the SEC in 1992, the Gamecocks have made one SEC Championship Game, in 2010, and Auburn beat them 56 to 17. The Spurrier years were the high point: three straight 11 win seasons and five straight wins over Clemson. I remember those five perfectly well and would prefer not to spend much time discussing them.


But that run matters for another reason. It was extraordinary because it was not normal South Carolina football.


That is where the current conversation loses me.


A bad season deserves criticism. Four and eight is bad. Shane Beamer should be judged on results, and nobody should pretend otherwise. But there is a difference between saying the program needs to improve and talking as if South Carolina has fallen from some long established place among college football’s elite.


It has not.


Beamer has already produced an eight win season and a nine win season, finished ranked in 2022 and 2024, and beaten Clemson twice. In 2024, South Carolina finished the regular season on a six game winning streak and worked its way into the national playoff conversation.


That happened at South Carolina, and not very long ago.


Then came one bad season and suddenly some people were ready to burn the thing down because they “deserve better.”


I heard versions of this kind of thing while tailgating there too. I loved the confidence. Sometimes it was even charming. You could be eating a burger in a parking lot with a team sitting at six wins and hear somebody explain how South Carolina was two recruits and a decent offensive coordinator away from Atlanta.


By dessert they were usually discussing the playoff.


Clemson probably made some of that worse. From 2015 through 2019, Clemson made the College Football Playoff five straight years and played for the national championship four times, winning two. When that is happening two hours up the road, it is easy to start measuring yourself against it.


But that run was not normal even for Clemson. There is a reason “Clemsoning” used to be part of the national football vocabulary. Clemson took years to build what it became, found the right coach, recruited at an elite level and then caught a stretch that most programs never experience.


South Carolina should absolutely want more. Fans should expect bowl games, ranked seasons and meaningful football late in the year. They should expect to beat Clemson often enough to make people like me miserable.


What I do not understand is acting as though any of that is guaranteed by history.


South Carolina has had four double digit win seasons in its entire football history. That does not mean expectations should be low. It just means expectations should have some relationship with reality.


And if you are going to fire a coach because you believe South Carolina deserves better, the next question cannot simply be, “Who could be better?”


It has to be, “Who is better, who will come here, and who is actually going to produce those results?”


There is always a mythical coach floating around college football message boards who recruits better, calls better plays, never loses anyone to the portal and apparently has spent his entire life dreaming of moving to Columbia.


If you find him, hire him.


Until then, I would be careful about confusing ambition with entitlement.


I spent enough Saturdays around Gamecock football to understand why people love it. I enjoyed those Saturdays too. The atmosphere was good, the tailgates were good, the people were fun, and somewhere along the way I started caring about what happened to South Carolina football because my daughter cared about that place.


I still pull for the Gamecocks most weeks.


But from the outside looking in, “we deserve better” still makes me laugh a little.


You can want better.


You can demand better.


Just make sure you know what “better” actually is before you run off what you already have.


And yes, I will still pull for South Carolina.


Just not that Saturday.
 

bayrooster

All-American
Aug 21, 2003
15,582
8,009
113
no p4 successful coach coming here,
will have to b o or d coordinator, or another I wanna b here beamer clone,
Ala sparky, the similarities r remarkable in results, my son and I switched to other games mid way thru 2nd q our family
use to b full scholly giver 8 tix for 30 yrs, quit when all kids graduated happen to coincide with hiring of chump
it's a shame we r not arky fans, they stayed away from game last week, we r gluttons for punishment!!!!!!!
really bad part is men bball going to b nightmare, we all just are thankful for Dawn, the real face of usc athletics
Sparky was a successful head coach at App State before coming here; there is no similarity to the hiring of Beamer and we didn't give him 6 years.
 

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
5,754
5,290
113
Sparky was a successful head coach at App State before coming here; there is no similarity to the hiring of Beamer and we didn't give him 6 years.
Sparky was ready for a shot. His mistake was keeping everyone on his staff, some of whom were definitely NOT ready. He still beat Georgia a couple times didn't he?
 

Deathstar

Sophomore
Sep 6, 2026
190
155
43
We rolled the dice. In another time, things had potential but then came NIL & the portal.

Look no further than Indiana & Clemson to see the effect.

We'll never know what Shane could have done with old school recruiting without NIL & the portal.

$$ talks.
I have not seen anything from Coach Beamer that leads me to believe that he would have been successful here with or without NIL. We are middle of the pack in SEC NIL spending and get the worst results in the conference. If Beamer could coach and recruit NIL players we should at least be middle of the pack, not losing to MSU, Vandy and KY.

Sparky was screwed by our AD when we turned down bowl games to “study for exams”. LOL!!!
 

Uscg1984

All-Conference
Mar 9, 2006
2,698
3,521
113
I don't know where the sunshine pumpers went, but you don't see many of them now. But they didn't hire Beamer. None of us did. We're just fans. For whatever reason, when there's not much to cheer about for our team, we seem to relish in telling other Gamecock fans "I told you so." OK, fine, but none of us (I think) have any influence over the hiring and firing of coaches. I personally sent an email to Ray Tanner begging him not to hire Beamer and that he wasn't the answer. The email didn't do any good and I actually felt bad about sending it. I wish I had been wrong. For a while there, I was happily thinking I was wrong. I take no pleasure today in being correct. But I don't have any animosity toward those fans who were more optimistic about the hire. It wasn't their fault.
 

uscjunkie

Senior
Jan 27, 2022
1,052
757
113
I think a lot of our fans believe this is one of the most coveted head coaching jobs in college football and I just don't believe that to be the case. This place kills careers, not makes them!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 92Pony

Deathstar

Sophomore
Sep 6, 2026
190
155
43
Nobody good really wanted the job if I recall. RT got desperate and hired Beamer. We would have been better off going Coach less for a time to get the right person. Never rush hiring a coach that costs $27million to fire.
 

SouthernBelly

Senior
Sep 16, 2024
888
687
93
Kind of hard to hire someone who doesn't want your job.
He was interested but then UGA let go of Richt rather suddenly and went right at Smart. Of course he’s taking that job. It’s a better job and his alma matter. We give Tanner alot of crap about his hires, and he’s earned that, but he pursued Smart and probably has him if Richt wasn’t fired. Where Tanner screwed up at that point was not making Richt tell him no.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,910
5,696
113
I don't know where the sunshine pumpers went, but you don't see many of them now. But they didn't hire Beamer. None of us did. We're just fans. For whatever reason, when there's not much to cheer about for our team, we seem to relish in telling other Gamecock fans "I told you so." OK, fine, but none of us (I think) have any influence over the hiring and firing of coaches. I personally sent an email to Ray Tanner begging him not to hire Beamer and that he wasn't the answer. The email didn't do any good and I actually felt bad about sending it. I wish I had been wrong. For a while there, I was happily thinking I was wrong. I take no pleasure today in being correct. But I don't have any animosity toward those fans who were more optimistic about the hire. It wasn't their fault.

Good take.

I will add that, regardless of the topic, the "i told you so's" can be meaningless for the general population. But there are a select few "pumpers" who went out of their way to denigrate anyone who didn't think Beamer was a homerun hire and who was having such success that even blind people could see it.

For those rare occasions, I am weak enough to enjoy an I told you so.
 

bayrooster

All-American
Aug 21, 2003
15,582
8,009
113
I'm not a sunshine guy, but we had no choice but to be cautiously optimisitic.
Shane could have been another Swinney for all we knew.
He proved he wasn't Dabo early on by not replacing awful coordinators or position coaches until pressured to do so and it's too late to make a difference.
 

SouthernBelly

Senior
Sep 16, 2024
888
687
93
I'm not a sunshine guy, but we had no choice but to be cautiously optimisitic.
Shane could have been another Swinney for all we knew.
Oh no. Not at all. I was never optimistic about this. I made that mistake with Muschamp. I thought, maybe he learned some stuff from his time in Florida that he could better implement here. He went to work and it wasn't better. I wonder if I so much truly thought that to be the case, or if it was wishful thinking. It was probably the latter. Beamer's had some good moments, but he's wasn't ready to be an HC and I don't think he's learned very much about doing it.
 

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,571
1,325
113
He proved he wasn't Dabo early on by not replacing awful coordinators or position coaches until pressured to do so and it's too late to make a difference.
Yea, we all know that. But you nor anyone else knew that when we hired him. It was a clean slate. White & Lembo were home runs, Satterfield was the bust. Hindsight is 20/20.
 

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,571
1,325
113
Oh no. Not at all. I was never optimistic about this.
Beamer has nothing to do with Muschamp. Muschamp was proven bad, Beamer was unproven besides his rep with players and his time here under Spurrier. No one knew what was going to happen.

Beamer's 2nd season, he had back- back wins over 2 Top 10 teams & finished 8-5. No one was calling for his firing back then.

If you weren't optimistic then, then you were out of touch.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3USC1801

SouthernBelly

Senior
Sep 16, 2024
888
687
93
Beamer has nothing to do with Muschamp. Muschamp was proven bad, Beamer was unproven besides his rep with players and his time here under Spurrier. No one knew what was going to happen.

Beamer's 2nd season, he had back- back wins over 2 Top 10 teams & finished 8-5. No one was calling for his firing back then.

If you weren't optimistic then, then you were out of touch.
Are you presently optimistic?
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Go Gamecocks

bayrooster

All-American
Aug 21, 2003
15,582
8,009
113
Yea, we all know that. But you nor anyone else knew that when we hired him. It was a clean slate. White & Lembo were home runs, Satterfield was the bust. Hindsight is 20/20.
But hindsight is how they would realize they didn't hire our own Dabo. If we hired him hoping he could put together a winning staff like Dabo, we should've been ready to change things after 4 years of not doing anything resembling that. And Lembo wasn't a win, you must be kidding. Is White still a home run hire?
 

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jun 19, 2015
1,295
1,138
113
We rolled the dice. In another time, things had potential but then came NIL & the portal.

Look no further than Indiana & Clemson to see the effect.

We'll never know what Shane could have done with old school recruiting without NIL & the portal.

$$ talks.
I know what you’re saying….but100% of the teams with big $ to spend also have coaches with top resumes /proven results at some level as HC and/or coordinators.
So- we pretty much know. He wasn’t the top recruiter at Ga or Ou. A good comparison to our program would be what did he do at VT.
 

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jun 19, 2015
1,295
1,138
113
I don't know where the sunshine pumpers went, but you don't see many of them now. But they didn't hire Beamer. None of us did. We're just fans. For whatever reason, when there's not much to cheer about for our team, we seem to relish in telling other Gamecock fans "I told you so." OK, fine, but none of us (I think) have any influence over the hiring and firing of coaches. I personally sent an email to Ray Tanner begging him not to hire Beamer and that he wasn't the answer. The email didn't do any good and I actually felt bad about sending it. I wish I had been wrong. For a while there, I was happily thinking I was wrong. I take no pleasure today in being correct. But I don't have any animosity toward those fans who were more optimistic about the hire. It wasn't their fault.
Not about being right. It is about the weird online campaign that accompanied pre-hire and ramped up post hire. Almost a “sell” attempt to the fanbase. That’s all I was saying. Still bizarre to me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jun 19, 2015
1,295
1,138
113
Nobody good really wanted the job if I recall. RT got desperate and hired Beamer. We would have been better off going Coach less for a time to get the right person. Never rush hiring a coach that costs $27million to fire.
Don’t buy that for a minute. Since Sb hire loads of HCs and coordinators have shown their stuff and been courted. Their job is to research and hire the best fit. Unbelievably poor job of search….reminiscent of the Kingston hire to me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,571
1,325
113
But hindsight is how they would realize they didn't hire our own Dabo. If we hired him hoping he could put together a winning staff like Dabo, we should've been ready to change things after 4 years of not doing anything resembling that. And Lembo wasn't a win, you must be kidding. Is White still a home run hire?
How many seasons did it take for Swinney to get his staff in place and his recruiting up and running? Taters were rolling the dice just like we did.

And Lembo was a HRH for what we paid for him....our STs were solid and he in turn got hired away. As far as White, for what we got him for, he has done well, especially before NIL/portal.
 

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jun 19, 2015
1,295
1,138
113
Yea, we all know that. But you nor anyone else knew that when we hired him. It was a clean slate. White & Lembo were home runs, Satterfield was the bust. Hindsight is 20/20.
Everybody but sb knew satt was a bust the minute he was hired.
white wasn’t a HR either. Fine coordinator and good fit for us….lembo absolute stud hire.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,571
1,325
113
Don’t buy that for a minute. Since Sb hire loads of HCs and coordinators have shown their stuff and been courted. Their job is to research and hire the best fit. Unbelievably poor job of search….reminiscent of the Kingston hire to me.
But there were lots of recommendations from former players that possibly influenced the hire. It wasn't an obvious bad hire. Nothing even close to the Muschamp debacle.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,910
5,696
113
How many seasons did it take for Swinney to get his staff in place and his recruiting up and running? Taters were rolling the dice just like we did.

Looked it up. Dabo fired his OC after the 2nd year, and the DC after his 3rd year.

Taters did roll the dice, and they got lucky. They had a half season to see how he would run things, and apparently liked what they saw.

We thought we could duplicate it and just grabbed a guy with a cool last name.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,571
1,325
113
Everybody but sb knew satt was a bust the minute he was hired.
white wasn’t a HR either. Fine coordinator and good fit for us….lembo absolute stud hire.
Yup....about Satt. Eff up.

White was a hidden gem that no one knew about. He has done well. Outside of EJ, I can't name any DC we've had that was any better than White. That includes Strong & Muschamp.
But he is struggling right now....😟
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,910
5,696
113
Not about being right. It is about the weird online campaign that accompanied pre-hire and ramped up post hire. Almost a “sell” attempt to the fanbase. That’s all I was saying. Still bizarre to me.

I remember that as well. I definitely got the feeling that Beamer was the choice, and there was some sort of campaign to try and sell him to the fanbase.
 

Dabo's Weenie

Senior
Nov 30, 2024
880
945
93
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Gene Chizik isn't coaching anywhere right now and he's got a NC on his resume'.

Any other available coaches with those bona fides?
 

Uscg1984

All-Conference
Mar 9, 2006
2,698
3,521
113
Looked it up. Dabo fired his OC after the 2nd year, and the DC after his 3rd year.
Don't forget, Dabo's first action as interim HC was to fire OC Rob Spence, the guy who was his boss the day before. lol.

Say what we want about Dabo, but that was a pretty authoritative move for an interim HC.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lurker123

Deathstar

Sophomore
Sep 6, 2026
190
155
43
Don’t buy that for a minute. Since Sb hire loads of HCs and coordinators have shown their stuff and been courted. Their job is to research and hire the best fit. Unbelievably poor job of search….reminiscent of the Kingston hire to me.
Ok, educate me, maybe I do not know. Which good coach wanted to be here and knew how to coach football? Who did we hire Shane over that was more qualified for the job?
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,910
5,696
113
Ok, educate me, maybe I do not know. Which good coach wanted to be here and knew how to coach football? Who did we hire Shane over that was more qualified for the job?

Will we ever know that? There were public names, and public speculation, but will we ever know who was reached out to?
 

Deathstar

Sophomore
Sep 6, 2026
190
155
43
Will we ever know that? There were public names, and public speculation, but will we ever know who was reached out to?
And these great coaches were turned down for Little Shane the TE Coach from Oklahoma? Ok, maybe this happened, I do not remember? Why? Were they asking for a living wage and Shane took the job for less $$$? Was it RT going cheap?

Then RT gives Little Shane a $27 million buyout? It makes no sense that we ever hired this guy.
 

Lurker123

All-American
May 4, 2020
6,910
5,696
113
And these great coaches were turned down for Little Shane the TE Coach from Oklahoma? Ok, maybe this happened, I do not remember? Why? Were they asking for a living wage and Shane took the job for less $$$? Was it RT going cheap?

Then RT gives Little Shane a $27 million buyout? It makes no sense that we ever hired this guy.

It could make sense if other coaches wanted more mo ey for staff, I think that giy who ended up at Florida said something like that.

We may have insisted on keeping Bobo, which turned off potential coaches.

Im just saying that we dont know who was contacted unofficially before the final names became public.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Insider Report: What's gone wrong for South Carolina, Bama game thoughts, what's next?
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Recruiting South Carolina football commitments selected for Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas all-star game
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football Scott Davis: Still waiting on a season that never arrived
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Womens Basketball South Carolina women's basketball: Three things we learned from the Gamecocks' first exhibition
  5. 05 TheBigSpur The Gamecock Report | South Carolina at 8 Alabama Intel Briefing