Texas Wiener

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I grew up eating Texas Wieners in Scranton but always wondered about the curious name. I dug in to learn more about when, where, and why it was created.

I picked up some sauce from Schiff's on Saturday morning and made some post game weiners with Berks dogs. They're always a good combo in a pinch.

Last edited:

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
In my undergraduate days, we always called them Greekers
Appropriate name! I never realized it was a "Greek" thing - even with Ma and Pa Gianacopolous behind the grill. Funny thing is, with the Greeks being persecuted in the early 1900s, when the dish was created, they wanted to distance themselves from the Greek name/culture. Glad to see it came around years later for Pete's.

Reactions: Woodpecker

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
I picked up some sauce from Schiff's on Saturday morning and made some post game weiners with Burkes dogs. They're always a good combo in a pinch.
We would get Schiff's on occasion, but my father got a recipe that he said was from the original Pete's Lunch downtown. We still use it today!

Reactions: PSUJam

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Appropriate name! I never realized it was a "Greek" thing - even with Ma and Pa Gianacopolous behind the grill. Funny thing is, with the Greeks being persecuted in the early 1900s, when the dish was created, they wanted to distance themselves from the Greek name/culture. Glad to see it came around years later for Pete's.
Also in the Lehigh Valley there is

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I grew up eating Texas Wieners in Scranton but always wondered about the curious name. I dug in to learn more about when, where, and why it was created.

Great read.....Wanderer.
Haven't been too Abe's in S Wilkes-Barre in a very long time for chile dogs with all the fixens. Really Need a fix of dogs, but staying away until this virus settles a little. Wife and mother in law have too many health issues, certainly don't want to bring home any virus critters.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Yankee Lunch in South Scranton on Pittston Ave also has some good Texas weiners

Reactions: PSUJam

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
Hanover PA has some great shops as well. We call them Guttys as they will clean out your gut! Freight train to colon town!

Reactions: LionJim

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
The lady would stack them up her arm while she put the chili and onions on top. All her sweat would soak into the bun….yum!
That aspect is really amazing to me. It was common for all of the restaurants to use that method.

I uncovered a rumor while researching about the Talking Head’s David Byrne. He worked in a Rhode Island “New York System” Wiener shop. The rumor was that his trademark dance move of chopping his arm was an ode to his days selling wieners. I tried to reach him to have him confirm or deny and wasn’t successful. So the rumor remains. 😂

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
That aspect is really amazing to me. It was common for all of the restaurants to use that method.

I uncovered a rumor while researching about the Talking Head’s David Byrne. He worked in a Rhode Island “New York System” Wiener shop. The rumor was that his trademark dance move of chopping his arm was an ode to his days selling wieners. I tried to reach him to have him confirm or deny and wasn’t successful. So the rumor remains. 😂
I remember the guy at Coney Island in Scranton doing that move too, plus he had hairy arms!

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

Found this post online from the Original New York System Weiners:

Original New York System Weiners Providence RI – Ask for Chuck! | Retro Roadmap - Cool Vintage Places & Retro Fun
9y ago

[...] While attending RISD, Talking Head David Byrne worked here for a short bit, and Chuck insists that the grillman’s custom of lining up the dogs on his arm inspired the choppy arm movments in his new wave dancin’. Alas, Mr Byrne says his inspiration was more global. [...]

MBLion45

Oct 28, 2021
Great thread. Thanks for posting this. It brings back many memories. I grew up in South Scranton and had my share of wieners from Coney Island on Cedar Avenue across the street from Tony Harding’s.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
Great thread. Thanks for posting this. It brings back many memories. I grew up in South Scranton and had my share of wieners from Coney Island on Cedar Avenue across the street from Tony Harding’s.
Keystone was my normal place, but I have vivid memories of having lunch with my Dad on Cedar Ave. Can’t beat that!

PSU1969A

Nov 3, 2021
Texas Tommie, aka Coney Hot Dog. My favorite place was the Coney Island on Centre Street in Pottsville (now closed). Nothing like a Coney Dog or Coney Burger at two o'clock in the morning. My taste is kept going via the The Hot Dog House in Bellefonte.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
There use to be a hotdog/burger stand off of 22 in Green Plains, NJ called Texas Wieners.