That is professional hitting

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
A&M's hit to get the tie was almost identical - Big masher choked up and did a little compact swing to get the ball in play and move two runners home.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If what Hujsak did last night was situational hitting at it's best, then what do you call what Dakota Jordan and Hunter Hines did?
Hunter has actually tried to cut down and make contact on a few ABs. He just can miss a pitch by soooo much.

Bring pepper back. We played it all the time. Before every game and between double headers. You had to make contact with every ball thrown at you and had to try and guide it to the different folks fielding.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Bruce, If you're the batting coach how do you help Jordan and Hines this late in the season ?

Well you answered my question before I even asked .

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
Hunter has actually tried to cut down and make contact on a few ABs. He just can miss a pitch by soooo much.

Bring pepper back. We played it all the time. Before every game and between double headers. You had to make contact with every ball thrown at you and had to try and guide it to the different folks fielding.
Bruce, I appreciate the response and being a player in the Maroon & White definitely brings a great perspective. I just wonder why you are not on the staff there, even as a volunteer assistant. You'd be able to help those guys out with some old school approach to the game.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

I was lucky enough to play for a top shelf coach who was a former State player from back in the Polk era. Pepper and directional/situational bunting and fielding cross overs was almost daily. We literally had to bunt with a broom stick and golf balls. Stuff like that left with hard work and the exit velo, launch angle sales pitches. Go stand on the plate so you can pull every ball BS. It's crazy to me a P5 hitter can't understand a ground ball to the right side is all you need sometimes. But it's all the BS hitting money makers trying to make average HS and college players believe they can do what a top professional can do and they never will.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I was lucky enough to play for a top shelf coach who was a former State player from back in the Polk era. Pepper and directional/situational bunting and fielding cross overs was almost daily. We literally had to bunt with a broom stick and golf balls. Stuff like that left with hard work and the exit velo, launch angle sales pitches. Go stand on the plate so you can pull every ball BS. It's crazy to me a P5 hitter can't understand a ground ball to the right side is all you need sometimes. But it's all the BS hitting money makers trying to make average HS and college players believe they can do what a top professional can do and they never will.
Two things my dad used to always make me do as a kid were hitting those golf ball sized wiffle balls with a broom stick in our front yard and he’d make me get up against the fence in our back yard with a bat length between my belly and the fence and work on the “inside out” swing.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Why people can't figure out that a 34 inch bat in the hands of guys with a 30+ inch reach is over 64 inches and that plate is only 17 inches kills me. You tie yourself up trying to do what Ted Williams said is the toughest thing to do. It's just stupidity and a sales pitch because kids don't want to hear about hard *** work and commitment.

Last edited:

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Maybe we need to be looking for a new hitting coach in the off season...

Bravo Tv Pump Rules GIF by Slice

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
I see this even at the major league level. The MLB franchises prefer a hitter to hit .210, 40 HRs, and 120 RBIs.

Reactions: onewoof and patdog

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Swinging to knock it all the way to Huntsville
With 1 out and bases loaded - I was ok with DJ swinging for the fences a couple of times. I know Davis has been great closing but we've lost too many close games last few years. I want as many insurance runs as we can get. 4 would have made me comfortable.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
reminder that this little fella hit the longest ball of the day yesterday in Hoover, while Schlossnuffleguss was on the mic

1716474380698.png

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
With 1 out and bases loaded - I was ok with DJ swinging for the fences a couple of times. I know Davis has been great closing but we've lost too many close games last few years. I want as many insurance runs as we can get. 4 would have made me comfortable.
DJ needs to forget about the fence. He's strong enough that his regular swing (with CONTACT) will knock a ball out of sight. He just needs to chill and make contact. The hits will take care of themselves,

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
but we ended up w/ 2 outs w/ Hines coming up

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I see this even at the major league level. The MLB franchises prefer a hitter to hit .210, 40 HRs, and 120 RBIs.
HRs sell tickets and power numbers are important. Pro game is a different game though.
Last year there were only 6 guys with 40+ HRs.
Of the top 3, only one hit over .217. Ironically, one was a former Lemonis player.
If we start recruiting big, strong MLB type guys, then we can get away with it some. But we can't recruit like that. The average P5 kid is probably about 6 ft, 195 and far less skilled. Highfill is a one on those guys. We miss his power numbers this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: HammerOfTheDogs
Nov 20, 2023
Situational strikeouts
This I like this explanation 😉lol but really like they said how Dakota Jordan see’s less strikes than anyone in the sec. Well get ahead in counts and get your pitch to put in play and remind us what your all about! Hines seems to be a wildly swinging at anything especially pitches he’s not gonna do a lot with lately due to his plate approaches. Cmon guys be a little more selective try to get ahead in the count and get your pitch or walk even would be better thank a K.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Latest posts