That is professional hitting

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Why people can't figure out that a 34 inch bat in the hands of guys with a 30+ inch reach is over 64 inches and that plate is only 17 inches kills me. You tie yourself up trying to do what Ted Williams said is the toughest thing to do. It's just stupidity and a sales pitch because kids don't want to hear about hard *** work and commitment.
I absolutely do not understand why so many batters in today's game stand so close to the plate. Especially guys over 6' 2". The contact point on the bat is 18-22 inches from your top hand. Why would you give the pitcher the inner 3 to 6 inches of the plate where he can throw a strike and you can't hit it in fair territory with that area of the bat?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I absolutely do not understand why so many batters in today's game stand so close to the plate. Especially guys over 6' 2". The contact point on the bat is 18-22 inches from your top hand. Why would you give the pitcher the inner 3 to 6 inches of the plate where he can throw a strike and you can't hit it in fair territory with that area of the bat?
It looked like there is a hole in DJs swing when they pitch him inside.

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
Bruce, what's stopping you from being in the Mississippi State dugout on gamedays? You'd be an asset in that dugout. You bring up valid points that apparently aren't being taught that need to be.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
You and my dad would get along great. And I don’t mean that as an insult, it’s just that some of the posts you make here, I’ve heard my dad say the exact same thing while watching baseball on tv (or in person) for years. Haha. Always enjoy your insight, Bruce.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We definitely stand too close to the plate batter after batter during the game. Why do so many players watch strike two cross the plate without even offering up a swing? You can add my name to the list of people who are tired of what they continue to signify. They have watched yet another strike go by.

boomboombppm.gif

M_over_S

Mar 6, 2024
Yes Hines and Jordan are the "professional" hitters. Yet you got dirtbag MERSHON and HUJSAK producing when it's needed. Love this team and wanna see em all get on track when we face Vandy.
Hujsak will be the first out of Hines, DJ and himself to reach AA, I think he will get there pretty quick. He’s got a lot of tools and a really good approach and attitude, would not be surprised at all to see him in the big leagues in 2-3 years

Reactions: BreckyBratt

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
no one is asking. Not sure I would go over well with the modern athlete anyway. I tend to be kinda blunt.
It would appear that we have a couple of guys that have been coddled and told all their lives about how awesome they are. I’d be completely open to getting you in there and throwing a bull into the China shop

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
no one is asking. Not sure I would go over well with the modern athlete anyway. I tend to be kinda blunt.
Well no one should have to ask and I think you’d do just fine with the so called “modern athlete.” If anything, those players would respect you because you’ve been there where they are. Bluntness is a good thing, don’t ever think it’s not.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Best pitch in baseball is a good fastball under the hands. That till never change.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Best pitch in baseball is a good fastball under the hands. That till never change.
yeah. That is why Mike Schmidt and Aaron Judge (and me) got way off the plate. It was an automatic out. By getting off the plate I gave the outside corner to the pitcher. However, since it was so far away from me, the umpire rarely called it a strike when it caught the corner.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Well no one should have to ask and I think you’d do just fine with the so called “modern athlete.” If anything, those players would respect you because you’ve been there where they are. Bluntness is a good thing, don’t ever think it’s not.
I tried once to email and once to talk to Gatreau about Kellum Clark because he had the same issue. Never got a reply on the email and he just dismissed me in the dugout. I even layed out how to help convince Kellum he was killing himself by using a batting tee on the inside part of the plate and ask Kellum to try and hit it in fair territory. Deaf ears.

Reactions: PhredPhantom
Nov 20, 2023
Good sound point I agree. Look what Mershon does he has really good at bats, Hujack is seeing the ball well and continues to do it right for the most part. I wish DJ would quit either swinging through so many pitches and letting the balls be balls and have a more patient approach bc he’s not gonna get many pitches close to where he wants them unless he gets ahead in counts same for hunter hines. Both are over swinging or swinging for the fences every time it seems. Cmon guys break outta y’all’s slumps. Especially when people are on base and we need y’all bad. .

Last edited: