The Edge

Benjdan

Joined Mar 4, 2007
Feb 19, 2022
863
1,375
93
Pretty bored on a Friday afternoon so I’m watching USC vs ND bowl game. It got me thinking, which is dangerous. This version of defense features Jordan Burch playing the “edge”. He is lining up over the RT which imo is traditionally where a more traditional strong side defensive end would be. Now flash forward to last years version and Dylan Stewart was lined up in the exact same role.
Flash back to an Ellis Johnson defense and the likes of Clowney, Ingram and Mathews were usually lined up over the LT.
Not sure where I’m going with this but I find the difference in scheme / philosophy interesting. Again I’m pretty bored.
 
Feb 11, 2006
271
401
63
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

Go Gamecocks

All-Conference
Jan 19, 2021
1,641
1,369
113
Pretty bored on a Friday afternoon so I’m watching USC vs ND bowl game. It got me thinking, which is dangerous. This version of defense features Jordan Burch playing the “edge”. He is lining up over the RT which imo is traditionally where a more traditional strong side defensive end would be. Now flash forward to last years version and Dylan Stewart was lined up in the exact same role.
Flash back to an Ellis Johnson defense and the likes of Clowney, Ingram and Mathews were usually lined up over the LT.
Not sure where I’m going with this but I find the difference in scheme / philosophy interesting. Again I’m pretty bored.
Recruit talent, instill discipline and let them play the game.

EJ defense 2011.

Clipboard_05-29-2026_03.jpg
 

Benjdan

Joined Mar 4, 2007
Feb 19, 2022
863
1,375
93
I hated the Notre Dame Loss because our bereft team (due to sit-outs) just ran out of gas. I despised the Illinois loss because our coaches (Head and OC) flat blew it in embarrassing fashion.
One common theme throughout the Beamer era has been the inability to execute a two minute offense. Penalties, negative plays and poor clock management. It’s always one of the three if not all three. Before half time is usually the most glaring blunders.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KingWard

Forkcock

All-Conference
Feb 11, 2006
1,830
1,927
113
One common theme throughout the Beamer era has been the inability to execute a two minute offense. Penalties, negative plays and poor clock management. It’s always one of the three if not all three. Before half time is usually the most glaring blunders.

The last few minutes of a first half, in football and basketball, have been a nightmare for Gamecock fans. This has been so for decades.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Womens Basketball South Carolina women's basketball: Tipoff times and TV information announced
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Wednesday injury update: South Carolina vs. Florida
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football FAIREY CHEVROLET Drive to Gainesville: Everything you need to know ahead of South Carolina-Florida
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Basketball South Carolina basketball product signs NBA contract
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football Everything Clayton White said ahead of South Carolina's matchup with Florida