The LT and Byrne issue is what worries the hell out of me

sixpackmafia

Feb 24, 2008
someone mentioning LT may be coming back.......I really thought we were turning the corner getting a new AD.....if we get LT as AD, I think it will be a step in the wrong direction based on Byrne already being hired...

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Notre Dame hired George O'Leary and Billy Donovan left Florida.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Xenomorph said:
Notre Dame hired George O'Leary and Billy Donovan left Florida.

This isn't similar to those situations. O'Leary misrepresented himself, Donovan returned to a vacant seat. Byrne has been hired...unless someone screwed up, it's gotta be a done deal.
</p>

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
As in, he gets a lot of what he was making as AD? Or am I imagining things?

If that's the case, I don't know why he would be interested in coming back as AD. And surely Byrne as AD is a done deal, so none of this matters anyways.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I believe LT has over 30 years in the state retirement system. It doesn't pay for people with over 33 years in the state retirement system to stay employed with the state because they lose money.

People with 33 years in the system get 70 percent of their salary with the average of their highest four years being paid as their pension, and that there's one additional check retirees receive each year from the state to take into account cost-of-living increases.

Edited for clarity.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Peaches and Costanza are both hoping more than anything. If either of them think a signed contract (if one has even been signed yet) could keep MSU from reinstating Templeton, they're being naive. I don't know if LT still wants to fight for his job, but if he does, there's nobody in place that could really oppose him. Foglesang is a lame duck and will have no power at all. I'm not saying it necessarily will happen, but it damn well could happen.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Board will not take any further action with regard to employment changes in the MSU athletics department at the Director level now they've approved Byrne to be AD.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. Just like the College Board got its way when it wanted an independent performance audit of Templeton's athletic dept. And just like they got their way when they tried to hire the Univ. of Houston president to be our president a few years ago. If you think the College Board controls the university you're crazy. A few big-money alumni can get around the college board most any time they really want to.</p>

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
...they do have the say in approving system-wide hires. The sky is not falling in the athletics department,

Dawgbreeze

Jun 11, 2007
If LT is retained in any capacity, MSU athletics are done. I think the cigar boys would love that but if it did happen, all MSU fans should boycott forever.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maroon Eagle said:
...they do have the say in approving system-wide hires. The sky is not falling in the athletics department,
Yes. And their say in cases other than the president has always been a rubber stamp. As I said earlier, I have no idea if LT and/or the cigar boys have any desire to continue to fight for his job. At some level, they all want what's best for MSU. That may not be their first priority, and almost certainly isn't, but they're not anti-MSU. And they have to know that keeping LT at this point would destroy our credibility (just imagine how many candidates we'd have the next time LT "retires"). So I have to think they probably don't see this as a battle worth continuing to fight. But if they do decide to fight it, there's really no one to oppose them. Foglesang has no political capital remaining, and the college board is pretty much a puppet organization to start with. If they decide to fight hard for LT's job, he's not going anywhere.

Bigohh

Feb 23, 2008
I would be pretty surprised if Doc doesn't go ahead and pull that trigger fairly soon now. I would expect Greg to be given the position, and LT moved into the "advisory" role certainly before the month is out, and probably sooner.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
The board already approved LT's end. The board already approved Byrne. The board will not contradict itself.

The board has spoken.

We will not have a president before June 30. That would be the only person that could recommend the board renege on TWO decisions the board already approved. Ain't hapnin.