The NFL just voted to ban the hip drop tackle.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
They want to fine the tackle out of the game instead of flag it out of the game?
If they really want the tackle out of the game, then make the penalty 30 yards and on the goal line if inside of 30. That will change things damn quickly.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I say we just go to flags cause it hurts them when they get tackled. Maybe just have them go at half speed and make the front seven on D count to 5 before they rush. Tutus would be cute and festive also

sheila broflovski randy marsh GIF by South Park

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
I hate the "horse collar" penalty and I'm not too crazy about this one either. It gives the defender way too much to consider when making a tackle. What is considered a proper form tackle now?

Reactions: preacher_dawg

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
HD tackles have the appearance of trying to injure. i like the yellow / red card approach. if you’re not man enough to tackle then just ride the guy into the ez.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'm not mad at this. My son's football team had one significant injury this year. It was caused by a HD tackle. The problem is the offensive player cannot protect themselves because they are also carrying the ball.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I'm not mad at this. My son's football team had one significant injury this year. It was caused by a HD tackle. The problem is the offensive player cannot protect themselves because they are also carrying the ball.

What the hell is Brian doing playing on the same field as your son? Just how big a boy is little 360?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
They want to fine the tackle out of the game instead of flag it out of the game?
If they really want the tackle out of the game, then make the penalty 30 yards and on the goal line if inside of 30. That will change things damn quickly.
Nah… in my world when I tell an employee he just cost our company $100k he’s like so what.. but when I tell he’s about to be off 3 days without pay I’ve got his attention.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Nah… in my world when I tell an employee he just cost our company $100k he’s like so what.. but when I tell he’s about to be off 3 days without pay I’ve got his attention.
If the fine is large enough, yes that would get the attention of players. I have seen recent weekly fine reports and probably 90% of the fines are unsportsmanlike and average fine is like $12,500.
I dont think that amount would move the needle like the NFL hopes. The NFL fined Nick Bolton $8200 for a horse collar tackle in the Super Bowl.

If the fine is $200,000?...yeah I could see that being impactful. I just dont think the NFL will set the fine at an amount that quickly incentivizes a change in behavior like a 30 yard penalty would(that hurts the team, so there is pressure to adjust and comply because you are hurting others too).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I've literally never heard the term before today. Just googling it quickly the video that came up I would have called a "tackle". It looks like they are usually a tackle from behind? In the examples I saw, I'm unclear on what could have made it a legal tackle other than being superman and just grabbing them from behind and lifting them up or not tackling them.

I definitely could just be missing what makes it a hip drop tackle though.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The majority? Care to substantiate that?
“The league's competition committee had proposed a rule to penalize the tackle, which league executive Jeff Miller said increases risk of injury by 25 times the rate of a standard tackle and was used 230 times last season, which resulted in 15 players missing time with injuries.”

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
There are risks with playing football. That's why you get paid millions. Deal with it.

Exactly this. I have a hard time feeling bad for multi-millionaires getting hurt playing a game. If they want to fine players for bad hits or tackles I can grt in board with that, but every flag for a hard hit or tackle diminishes my interest in the game a little bit more.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Exactly this. I have a hard time feeling bad for multi-millionaires getting hurt playing a game. If they want to fine players for bad hits or tackles I can grt in board with that, but every flag for a hard hit or tackle diminishes my interest in the game a little bit more.
To be fair the NFLPA was against this decision. The players don’t want it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Not true. Has was tackled by the ankle/leg

You’re right. For some reason I remembered the tackler having more of an angle. Physics are similar. Especially when you land on the back of their legs. Ball carrier has no way to protect themselves. You can’t “roll away” from it.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
To be fair the NFLPA was against this decision. The players don’t want it.

Good. Like with the concussion stuff, I wouldnt be surprised if this was just the league and owners trying to protect their investments rather than a genuine concern for player safety.

I honestly think it's getting more and more impossible for defensive players to execute within the rules.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Good. Like with the concussion stuff, I wouldnt be surprised if this was just the league and owners trying to protect their investments rather than a genuine concern for player safety.

I honestly think it's getting more and more impossible for defensive players to execute within the rules.
Thats exactly what it is.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The solution is to stop watching. Less viewers means less money less advertising. Until the money value on this fails it's not changing. I already stopped going to a lot of games in person. They have priced me out for wanting to go. Eventually the dollar value for entertainment has to tank. It can't be supported. College athletics is about to find out the hard way if people lose their taste for it. Problem is not enough people will stop watching or going to make a difference. If you hate it, stop going and watching

Reactions: Fang1

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
The solution is to stop watching. Less viewers means less money less advertising. Until the money value on this fails it's not changing. I already stopped going to a lot of games in person. They have priced me out for wanting to go. Eventually the dollar value for entertainment has to tank. It can't be supported. College athletics is about to find out the hard way if people lose their taste for it. Problem is not enough people will stop watching or going to make a difference. If you hate it, stop going and watching
Attendance nor ratings means much anymore. The big money now is in Sports Betting.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Whole thing makes it really hard to use physics to bring a guy to the ground.

Can’t use your body weight going towards the ball carrier (targeting). Can’t use it as a counterweight going away from the ball carrier (hip drop). Can’t use your arms to pull a guy anywhere up high (face mask, horse collar).