The three most exciting sports moments I've seen on live TV

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
not involving MState. As in I was actually watching the moment it happened. Not, I saw a replay or caught the highlights later on. Hey, it's a slow day.
Edited to say: Watched live on TV or in person.

1. Sid Bream/NLCS moment (I don't recall Nacho Libre playing catcher for the Pirates)

2. Boise St/Oklahoma bowl game. (I woke my wife up twice I yelled so loud)

3. Tiger Woods/Masters chip in at the 16th hole. (Where the heck is he hitting the ball? Well, it might be okay. Oh my gosh it's rolling towards the
hole...surely not...no way...pause for 5 seconds...DEAR LORD it went in!)

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
not involving MState. As in I was actually watching the moment it happened. Not, I saw a replay or caught the highlights later on. Hey, it's a slow day.

1. Sid Bream/NLCS moment (I don't recall Nacho Libre playing catcher for the Pirates)

3. Tiger Woods/Masters chip in at the 16th hole. (Where the heck is he hitting the ball? Well, it might be okay. Oh my gosh it's rolling towards the

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007

TheMAROONandWHITE

Oct 31, 2007
Two of mine I was actually at:

1) Braves winning the World Series in 1996
2) Saints reopen the Dome with win over the Falcons
3) and I wanted the Sid Bream moment on TV.

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
i would start w/ super bowl xxxiv titans v. rams.

Edited to add Mia v. OSU in title game and USC v. Notre Dame a couple of years back.

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
my favorite to actually attend:

First game back in the dome after Katrina

rebelrouseri

Jan 24, 2007
was drinking and that a big fat obnoxious blonde kept yelling "I love you Christian Laetner." The excitement of the game trumped the blackout drunk i put on.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
1. 2002 British Open at Muirfield when there was a 4 way tie and Ernie in the bunker on the second tiebreaker round. was standing directly behind him. ureal shot.

2. Michael Johnson winning gold at 1996 Olympics. The stadium was a huge flash of light bulbs when the race started to the point where it was hard to see them.

3. Armstrong riding into Paris in the 2002 Tour De France. It was crazy fun to be an American.

graddawg

Jun 4, 2007
I'd have to think really hard to settle on a definitive top 3, but the US Swimming relay win over the French for Phelp's second or third gold over the summer was a pretty intense final few seconds. I never thought I'd be standing in my living room screaming at the TV over a swimming event.

GuyBehindtheGuy

Mar 16, 2008
I was in high school back in Oklahoma and lucky enough to have been at the '98 Valpo-Ole Miss game... this of course before I had decided to go to Mississippi State... one of the best college basketball games I've seen in person...

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
Don't know about the very top three but here is def 3 of the best

Earnhardt finally crosses the line first in the Daytona 500 in 98

Jordans last shot against the Jazz in the finals (notice the people in the crowd praying it don't fall)

And the last drive Texas-USC

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
it was a school nght and I got sent to bed the inning before it happened. It had to have been around 11:30 central time.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
2001 World Series- The Yankees Coming back in back to back games to send it back to Arizona
2003 ALCS- Aaron Bleeping Boone
USC/Texas Rose Bowl

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
i was at the house by myself and was screaming like a crazy person at the television. i am not a Texas fan but i am definitely have a disdain for USC. i thought the comments by Matt Leinart afterwards was something to be present for live too.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Mine:

1. The Cardinals winning the World Series in 2006. It really didn't hit me until someone on Sportscenter said "World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.

2. The Cardinals beating Roger Clemens and the Astros in 2004.

3. Ozzie Smith hitting a home run (that was a miracle) to beat the Dodgers in 1985.

state2006

Aug 30, 2006
1. game 7 d-backs vs. yankees
2. last year's super bowl
3. titans music city miracle

runners up: josh hamilton's homerun derby performance, u.s. vs. france swim relay

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
(1) if you and your wife are yelling and high-fiving while watching a swimming event, it deserves to be up there. USA! (and a bonus because we beat the trash-talking frenchies)

(2) laettner. that whole game was awesome. mash fouled out, and thomas hill is still saying "oh my god, oh my god..."

(3) 1999 ryder cup. this was the most excited i've ever been about golf. and the reason i love watching ryder cup golf now. (with this and #1, maybe there's just that extra bit of excitement when playing for your country...)

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
Russians in the Olympics several years ago. That was a defining moment in US sports history,

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
although I really enjoyed seeing FDR on tv in 1929, talking about how to fix the great depression.</p>

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
The point is to list events you saw happen live. The only people who saw that hockey game live were the people who were there.

Apologies if you were there, but I doubt you were.

BlindDawg

Jan 23, 2007
All these are great moments. My top three would probably be : Sid Bream's slide, Tiger winning the US Open this year on one leg, and probably the Braves winning the World Series in 95. I'll probably change that list in 10 minutes cause there are so many good ones, but for now that's it.

alextupelo

Nov 12, 2008
was broadcast on tape delay. It occurred that morning or afternoon and was not broadcast until later that night, in prime time.

graddawg

Jun 4, 2007
For the record, I deleted the comment before you posted this for the exact reason you say. I thought that might have been the case.

MaroonedinPA

Jul 22, 2007
I'm an old fart-and I watched the "greatest heavyweight championship fight of all time," the 3rd Ali-Frazier fight, the "Thrilla in Manilla"

For you younger folks, there was a time when the most thrilling words in all of sports was "And now, for the heavyweight champeenship of the world..." It topped the Super Bowl, World Series, and any basketball game.

Video snip HERE - the 3rd clip is the one.

NapoleonDynamite

Feb 29, 2008
The Top 3 I can remember (not in any certain order) - I would also include Laettner's shot and Boise State over OU:

- Larry Legend's steal and pass to DJ (of Isiah Thomas inbound pass) in the 1987 NBA Finals for Celtics win (and I wasn't even a Celtic fan)
- Bernie Kosar leading the U to huge upset of Nebraska in Orange Bowl (think it was around 1985) - Huskers were a huge favorite and undefeated
- Navy stuffing ND in OT last year to end the streak

Honorable Mention - Soccer Category:
- Arsenal v Man Utd, 2007 (I think) - Thierry Henry and Robin Van Persie scoring in final 8 minutes for 2-1 Aresnal win (yes, I'm a soccer geek)
- US v Mexico, 2002 World Cup (and the US v Germany in 2002 was incredible as well)

Other Honorable Mentions:
- Davidson's run in 2008 NCAA Tourney
- Chargers v Miami in 1980's NFL Playoff classic
- Washington Caps OT win over Buffalo to advance to 1998 Stanley Cup Finals - Joe' Juneau!!!

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
The game was shown tape-delayed after it had already happened.

And by "several", I guess you mean "almost 30".

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
why the angst? do you think i didn't understand your comment?

as someone else pointed out, YOU didn't watch it on live tv either. dipshit. i'll try a little harder to spell it out for you next time. i know that sometimes it can be hard to keep up, when you're elderly.

</p>

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#1</span> - 1983 NC State NCAA Basketball Championship Game

1983 NC State

<span style="font-weight: bold;">#2</span> - Tiger's chip on the 16th at the Masters

The Chip

<span style="font-weight: bold;">#3</span> - Reggie Jackson hitting 3 home runs in 3 swings in the 1977 World Series

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Honorable Mention:</span>

Jack Nicklaus 17th hole at the 1986 Masters
Jack on the 17th at Augusta

mk1984

Nov 13, 2008
1. Jordans last shot against the Jazz in the finals
2. USC/Texas Rose Bowl
3. D Wade bringing the Heat back from 2 games down to win the NBA Championship