This NIL/Revenue Sharing Settlement thread on X from Ross Dellenger...

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That SOUNDS promising with NIL if they believe forcing athletes to prove FMV is legally sound. Problem is as soon as it’s questioned an athlete will sue under state law and tie everything up until they are gone. Interesting to hear how that exactly would play out.

College baseball about to be a really small sport if there are no scholly limits.

Reactions: Maroon13

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Will be no scholly limits, but there will be roster limits. Word on the street is around 30
Yeah that’s gonna put schools way behind the curve even moreso than now. But I guess it’s already pretty small anyway.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What about my bulldog club contributions that went to paying their scholarships. Will I get any of that back?*******

Reactions: Anon1664516582

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That SOUNDS promising with NIL if they believe forcing athletes to prove FMB is legal sound. Problem is as soon as it’s questioned an athlete will sue under state law and tie everything up until they are gone. Interesting to hear how that exactly would play out.

I thought that was the most Interesting tweet of them all. Although all were informative.

I read an article the other day that stated the NCAA and some congressman are working now to get a bill protecting the ncaa from future lawsuits. Who knows if it will pass but a bill like that would certainly give the ncaa back their power to enforce the rules suggested in this tweet.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
True NIL based on Fair Market Value?....

I'm guessing there are a couple of million lawyers in this country capable of winning any court challenge to a Fair Market Denial of NIL funds to a player.

ETA: If my house appraises for $800K but somebody wants to pay me $1.2M is there a law saying I can't take the extra $300K before the ink runs out of their pen?

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I thought that was the most Interesting tweet of them all. Although all were informative.

I read an article the other day that stated the NCAA and some congressman are working now to get a bill protecting the ncaa from future lawsuits. Who knows if it will pass but a bill like that would certainly give the ncaa back their power to enforce the rules suggested in this tweet.

None of this is worth anything if they don't get some protection from the federal government. I get thinking this will make getting federal legislation passed easier, but that's a lot of money to commit to without knowing whether you're actually fixing any issue.

Reactions: Maroon13

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Must be “true NIL” based on developed “fair market value” data
Burden on school/athlete to prove “true NIL"

How can these things be done in a legitimate manner?
You cant seriously tie it back to recruiting stars on random websites because there are clearly massive holes in how those sites evaluate.
You cant seriously argue that someone isnt worth $X if they are able to be paid $X because...they are clearly worth that to the person(s) paying.

Itll be interesting to read the language that addresses these initiatives. I could see that language being hotly contested by athletes/schools.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
None of this is worth anything if they don't get some protection from the federal government. I get thinking this will make getting federal legislation passed easier, but that's a lot of money to commit to without knowing whether you're actually fixing any issue.
You're never getting protection from the federal government as long as education is a component in the equation.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Once again, this stuff is eventually going to kill off big time college sports. If I want to watch pros, I'll watch the real thing.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You're never getting protection from the federal government as long as education is a component in the equation.
I don't know. College sports fans are a pretty big and vocal constituency. Certainly there are going to be people that object to more money going to students that generate more money, even if they get a much smaller portion of the money they generate than less popular athletes/sports. But that could possibly be overcome by the fact that this would put more money in athletes pockets period, for a sustained period of time.

Certainly I'd bet against it because it's much easier to kill a bill than pass a bill, but you're probably going to be damn near unanimous support from senators and representatives in the southeast, and then probably a good bit of support from senators and representatives in ACC, Big 10, and Big 12 areas.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Can this work? Sure.
Will it work? I'm extremely skeptical. The "true NIL" and Title IX are huge hurdles to overcome.

If they want to lock down "true NIL", my recommendation would be to base it on scholarship offers. Each offer from a P5 in the previous year's playoff is worth X$ in market value, other P5 offers are worth Y$, and G5 offers are worth Z$. Offers have to be proved via a letter from the head coach. There are ways to game this as well, but I think the trouble would be worth it.
I know they said no "pay for play" , but you might also have to include increases in worth for all-conference, major awards, etc. Caleb Williams was obviously worth more to advertisers late his career than early.

Title IX requires that adults have conversations (or make a decisions to stay out of them) at the national level, and given all the nonsense going on in modern America, I don't know if there are enough adults in the required positions. Best case will probably be some formula that ties part of the compensation value to the sport played.