Tidbits from Donte Williams' Sunday night media call

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
* Williams spread blame over the entire team for the loss -- offense, defense, special teams and coaching. "Just like we win together, we lose together...We lost, so everything I feel we can do a lot better...Everything, literally. It was always something that was a little out of place."

* There could be a few younger players starting to see more time in the coming weeks. "We're going to simplify some things just to get the guys that are athletic, that maybe are young, just to get them on the field and play fast so they don’t have to think. That’s the only thing that slows down the athletic, younger-type guys, is them having to think. So we’re going to do everything possible to get those guys on the field to where they don’t have to think and they can just react and play."

* Injury updates:

Williams said Korey Foreman has been "dinged up a little bit." He's dealt with knee, groin and wrist injuries. Williams said he feels Foreman is now close enough to 100% where he can start contributing more.

Drake Jackson didn't play a ton in the second half. Williams said he was hurt in the first half but played through. He also said Jackson was removed in certain personnel groupings when it "became a run-dominated type game."

Kyle Ford missed the game with a knee injury that flared up late in the week.

Chris Thompson Jr. missed the game with a leg injury.

* Williams said at no point did he think about taking Kedon Slovis out of the game due to poor play. Williams said it was a team effort on offense that let the Trojans down. "He's not just a one-man show. We struggled together. I didn't consider that."

* Williams balked at the idea that USC's defensive line was dominated by the Oregon State offensive line. He said more went into it than that, and several times the Oregon State offense line opened up gaps and forced a cornerback or safety or linebacker to make one-on-one tackles. "At times we didn't make those tackles."

Reactions: Hashtags and Troy70

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
There could be a few younger players starting to see more time in the coming weeks. "We're going to simplify some things just to get the guys that are athletic, that maybe are young, just to get them on the field and play fast so they don’t have to think. That’s the only thing that slows down the athletic, younger-type guys, is them having to think. So we’re going to do everything possible to get those guys on the field to where they don’t have to think and they can just react and play."
hmmm lets hope this happens. Been wanting to see more of Bullock, Trigg, Raeson, Manjack and Foreman on the field

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
* Williams spread blame over the entire team for the loss -- offense, defense, special teams and coaching. "Just like we win together, we lose together...We lost, so everything I feel we can do a lot better...Everything, literally. It was always something that was a little out of place."

* There could be a few younger players starting to see more time in the coming weeks. "We're going to simplify some things just to get the guys that are athletic, that maybe are young, just to get them on the field and play fast so they don’t have to think. That’s the only thing that slows down the athletic, younger-type guys, is them having to think. So we’re going to do everything possible to get those guys on the field to where they don’t have to think and they can just react and play."

* Injury updates:

Williams said Korey Foreman has been "dinged up a little bit." He's dealt with knee, groin and wrist injuries. Williams said he feels Foreman is now close enough to 100% where he can start contributing more.

Drake Jackson didn't play a ton in the second half. Williams said he was hurt in the first half but played through. He also said Jackson was removed in certain personnel groupings when it "became a run-dominated type game."

* Williams said at no point did he think about taking Kedon Slovis out of the game due to poor play. Williams said it was a team effort on offense that let the Trojans down. "He's not just a one-man show. We struggled together. I didn't consider that."

* Williams balked at the idea that USC's defensive line was dominated by the Oregon State offensive line. He said more went into it than that, and several times the Oregon State offense line opened up gaps and forced a cornerback or safety or linebacker to make one-on-one tackles. "At times we didn't make those tackles."
Some helton-nisms...but I get it.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
I couldn't believe the size of the holes the Beavs linemen were opening on a routine basis.
Yeah, I know. It looked like the entire line was closed off and all of a sudden I saw the RB shooting through what seemed like no opening. Boggled my mind how they ALWAYS found some slight crease to get through.

usc88

Aug 24, 2017
At least Donte calls it like it is.
That is why he is going to do well in the long run.
But if Harrell and Orlando don’t show more they
will not get a job beyond high school coach after.
So much more was expected from them

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017

* Injury updates:

WWSS

What would Saban say if it was his team out there getting bushwhacked like that?

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Donte is not the born loser Gomer was. But he may not be as good as he seems to plume himself on being. That OSU loss was a generational catastrophe. A huge blot on our historical reputation. And a huge blot on Donte's name. Mike Bohn, if he EVER considered making Donte permanent head coach before, well that is completely out the window now.

jpsocal65

Aug 24, 2017
WWSS

What would Saban say if it was his team out there getting bushwhacked like that?
He would probably say we suck right now. Our D can’t stop a HS team. If we don’t get better there are going to be some major personnel changes

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, I know. It looked like the entire line was closed off and all of a sudden I saw the RB shooting through what seemed like no opening. Boggled my mind how they ALWAYS found some slight crease to get through.
They weren’t slight creases. A lot of the time they were gaping holes several feet wide.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Donte is not the born loser Gomer was. But he may not be as good as he seems to plume himself on being. That OSU loss was a generational catastrophe. A huge blot on our historical reputation. And a huge blot on Donte's name. Mike Bohn, if he EVER considered making Donte permanent head coach before, well that is completely out the window now.
I’m beginning to question the wisdom of making Donte the interim coach.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017

* Injury updates:

At no point did he consider replacing Slovis? 3 interceptions and should have been 4 (ref gave him a gift) and a fumble and he blames that on the team?

Haha. This is why you can’t hire a guy with no experience. You mean to tell me he hasn’t watched Slovis fall apart in games before? The 2 Oregon games and Iowa and now OSU? I would have put him out there with a very short leash. The first pick he threw. Moss goes in just to send a message to him. I’m not messing around.

You can’t assume Moss will fail. Put him in and see.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I like Donte. But I questioned his elevation to IHC as it created a situation where now you’re your superiors superior. That can’t be a healthy room when game planning the defense IMO.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
At no point did he consider replacing Slovis? 3 interceptions and should have been 4 (ref gave him a gift) and a fumble and he blames that on the team?

Haha. This is why you can’t hire a guy with no experience. You mean to tell me he hasn’t watched Slovis fall apart in games before? The 2 Oregon games and Iowa and now OSU? I would have put him out there with a very short leash. The first pick he threw. Moss goes in just to send a message to him. I’m not messing around.

You can’t assume Moss will fail. Put him in and see.
You mean that first INT that hit his receiver in the chest, right between the 1 & 6? That interception? Maybe try yanking receivers who’s hands don’t hold onto the balls when he delivers it on time and in space..

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
You mean that first INT that hit his receiver in the chest, right between the 1 & 6? That interception? Maybe try yanking receivers who’s hands don’t hold onto the balls when he delivers it on time and in space..
You mean that pass that was thrown late? What’s the excuse for the other picks? And the ones he’s thrown all year? And his 0-4 record against teams that can actually fight back. Oregon x2 Iowa Oregon State?

Excuses is how we got here. You sound like Clay Helton trying to polish a turd after a loss.

Pudly maybe you are impressed with his 47.7 QBR rating and 4 Td’s 4 Int’s ratio this year.

Oregon x2
Iowa
Oregon State

These 4 games Slovis had 8 TD’s 9 Int’s you gonna blame that on the WR’s too?

Don’t worry Colorado is a scrub Slovis will probably throw the ball 65 times for 500 yards and 5 td’s.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
You mean that pass that was thrown late? What’s the excuse for the other picks? And the ones he’s thrown all year? And his 0-4 record against teams that can actually fight back. Oregon x2 Iowa Oregon State?

Excuses is how we got here. You sound like Clay Helton trying to polish a turd after a loss.

Pudly maybe you are impressed with his 47.7 QBR rating and 4 Td’s 4 Int’s ratio this year.

Oregon x2
Iowa
Oregon State

These 4 games Slovis had 8 TD’s 9 Int’s you gonna blame that on the WR’s too?

Don’t worry Colorado is a scrub Slovis will probably throw the ball 65 times for 500 yards and 5 td’s.
Supposed you missed the pick six in the furd game that bounced off the hands of his receiver too?? Agenda much?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
No matter who the interim coach was, they weren't going to fix the major issues with this team. To think that they would is not very smart. And the only person with head coaching experience on the staff was/is Jinks. At bowling green and they were bad.

Last edited:

Ladera Trojan

Aug 24, 2017
No matter who the interim coach was, they weren't going to fix the major issues with this team. To think that they would is not very smart. And the only person with head coaching experience on the staff was/is Jinks. At bowling green and they were bad.

Nick Saban couldn’t jump in midseason to this dumpster fire and get things turned around overnight. It’ll take time to build the O Line and D Line quality back up to National Championship levels. Right now, we are getting abused at the LOS and you cannot win a lot of football games that way.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Nick Saban couldn’t jump in midseason to this dumpster fire and get things turned around overnight. It’ll take time to build the O Line and D Line quality back up to National Championship levels. Right now, we are getting abused at the LOS and you cannot win a lot of football games that way.
Correct. Without big bodies on the LOS there's a high chance that we lose a lot of games this season. And we'll be looking at a unfavorable season next year regardless of the new head coach and their pedigree. Unless they can fix our o-line and d-line deficit in the next 3 to 4 months. Or they change to a offensive and defense scheme that suits the players on the roster and bulk up accordingly. Until then.

Every team with LOS monsters on their roster - even in a weak PAC-12 - is licking their chops having to face this USC team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladera Trojan

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Supposed you missed the pick six in the furd game that bounced off the hands of his receiver too?? Agenda much?
First off only libtards and women use “much” which are you. That term is taken right out of the nitwit handbook. It’s right up there with OMG.

I guess you can’t read. I posted his stats they speak for themselves. 8 Td’s 9 Int’s in his 4 toughest games. 4 td’s 4 Int’s on the year. Google it. That’s not an agenda. I don’t give a damm what USC does. I’m a Georgia fan. These are facts. Not your little feelings. Kirby Smart would have benched Slovis by now. That’s why he has the number 2 program in the country.

You’re just like Helton an excuse maker.

Do yourself a favor google Slovis stats against teams with a .500 0r less record he has something like 30-4 TD to int ratio. Then google teams with a .500 or better record and his number go to 19-14 Td to int ratio. I did the breakdown last season. This is a career pattern not some dropped passes excuse. He throws picks when he plays better teams. When the team is elite he falls apart almost everytime. ND his rookie year was the 1 game he didn’t 2 years ago. Point is he feast on lousy teams like Arizona and Colorado he’s playing this week. Slovis is not a bad QB. He is what he is. I will guarantee you he won’t make it to the end of the season as a starter. Not from injury from poor play and benching.

Last edited:
Reactions: August West

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
First off only libtards and women use “much” which are you. That term is taken right out of the nitwit handbook. It’s right up there with OMG.

I guess you can’t read. I posted his stats they speak for themselves. 8 Td’s 9 Int’s in his 4 toughest games. 4 td’s 4 Int’s on the year. Google it. That’s not an agenda. I don’t give a damm what USC does. I’m a Georgia fan. These are facts. Not your little feelings. Kirby Smart would have benched Slovis by now. That’s why he has the number 2 program in the country.

Do yourself a favor google Slovis stats against teams with a .500 0r less record he has something like 30-4 TD to int ratio. Then google teams with a .500 or better record and his number go to 19-14 Td to int ratio. I did the breakdown last season. This is a career pattern not some dropped passes excuse. He throws picks when he plays better teams. When the team is elite he falls apart almost everytime. ND his rookie year was the 1 game he didn’t 2 years ago. Point is he feast on lousy teams like Arizona and Colorado he’s playing this week. Slovis is not a bad QB. He is what he is. I will guarantee you he won’t make it to the end of the season as a starter. Not from injury from poor play and benching.
This is ridiculous to say. Have you met a right wing Karen? lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

You’re right. About everything. Always were, always are, and after being told off like this, always will be.
Your idiocy precedes you, but fits you well. You read QB stats like they’re basketball players shooting percentages or free throw percentage. If you’d actually ever played anything that included another person you’d realize there are two components. The toss and the reception, and I’ll leave it at that.

as far as my political outlook, I’m sure you’re right again. You always are. And btw, you really got me on that, everyone knows it’s the best way to win a sports specific argument.

🤯🤪🤯🤪💋💋

I guess you do agend… A LOT‼️

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Latest posts