Tiger can win.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I really want him to win one more major.
I don't, lol.
Many will argue it, but in my book, he is the greatest golfer of all time.
Here's why he isn't IMO....

In terms of Majors-

-Nicklaus leads Woods 18 to 15.
-Nicklaus has 19 runner-up finishes to just 7 for Woods. Nicklaus has 9 3rd place finishes vs just 4 for Woods.
-Woods has 26 top-threes, and Nicklaus has 46 top-threes.
-Nicklaus is the only golfer to win the Players 3 times.
-Nicklaus made 43 starts at the Masters over a span of nearly a half-century. Of his 163 rounds at the tournament, more than 40 were played after he turned 50.
-From the 1970 British Open through the 1978 British Open, he finished in the top 10 in 31 of 33 majors

In overall terms-

-Woods has 82 victories in his career and Nicklaus 72.
-Nicklaus had 57 runner-up finishes and 269 top-10s while Woods had 31 runner-up finishes and 199 top-10s.
-Nicklaus played for the USA in 7 World Cups, was on the winning side for 6 and was the individual winner 3 times.
-Woods played for the USA in 3 World Cups and was on the winning side 2x. He won the individual once.
-Nicklaus has twice been captain of the US Ryder Cup team and four times captain of the US Presidents Cup Team. Woods has played in 9 instalments of the Presidents Cup and has been playing captain once.

With the exception of total wins and lack of drama, Nicklaus beats Woods in every category.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
The biggest thing about Tiger is he changed the sport, not seeing a lot of top golfers with beer bellies anymore. But you have to wonder what the extreme torque did to his body.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
I don't, lol.

Here's why he isn't IMO....

In terms of Majors-

-Nicklaus leads Woods 18 to 15.
-Nicklaus has 19 runner-up finishes to just 7 for Woods. Nicklaus has 9 3rd place finishes vs just 4 for Woods.
-Woods has 26 top-threes, and Nicklaus has 46 top-threes.
-Nicklaus is the only golfer to win the Players 3 times.
-Nicklaus made 43 starts at the Masters over a span of nearly a half-century. Of his 163 rounds at the tournament, more than 40 were played after he turned 50.
-From the 1970 British Open through the 1978 British Open, he finished in the top 10 in 31 of 33 majors

In overall terms-

-Woods has 82 victories in his career and Nicklaus 72.
-Nicklaus had 57 runner-up finishes and 269 top-10s while Woods had 31 runner-up finishes and 199 top-10s.
-Nicklaus played for the USA in 7 World Cups, was on the winning side for 6 and was the individual winner 3 times.
-Woods played for the USA in 3 World Cups and was on the winning side 2x. He won the individual once.
-Nicklaus has twice been captain of the US Ryder Cup team and four times captain of the US Presidents Cup Team. Woods has played in 9 instalments of the Presidents Cup and has been playing captain once.

With the exception of total wins and lack of drama, Nicklaus beats Woods in every category.

Nicklaus had tougher competition. Tiger carried the tour for fifteen years.

Fully disagree.
If Woods played in the Nicholas area with his same skill, stamina, dedication to fitness, he would have been even more dominant.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Fully disagree.
If Woods played in the Nicholas area with his same skill, stamina, dedication to fitness, he would have been even more dominant.
Personally, I think Woods faced tougher competition. However, he also had the benefit of equipment technology advancements. And yes, fitness was more of a thing in his era.

Still, in terms of overall dominance over a long period of time and for lack of drama, it isn't close IMO.

Reactions: dblwall and Pudly76

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Personally, I think Woods faced tougher competition. However, he also had the benefit of equipment technology advancements. And yes, fitness was more of a thing in his era.

Still, in terms of overall dominance over a long period of time and for lack of drama, it isn't close IMO.
We will have to agree to disagree :)
And I don't mean to disparage Jack. He was a great golfer and seems like a good human.

Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Fully disagree.
He would not have had all the new equipment that he had to play with in his era.. it would be fun to have seen tho

DP'4'Life

May 11, 2023
The biggest thing about Tiger is he changed the sport, not seeing a lot of top golfers with beer bellies anymore. But you have to wonder what the extreme torque did to his body.
I think the steroids destroyed his body.

• Sad
Reactions: Pudly76

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Huge Woods fan and, still to this day, he’s my dominant draw to watching golf. If he’s playing, I watch for sure. If not, meh.

That said…..he looks done. He made the cut….but scrambled his azz off to keep it together. He can’t hit tournament-winning shots anymore. His go-to fade is still pretty strong, when his body allows, but it’s inconsistent. He can’t draw the ball at will, probably due to his back surgeries. His irons are not top-level anymore. His distance control is weak. His putting is average. Hate to say, but he’s not going to win against these fields.

Was really glad he played Sunday and didn’t have to withdraw, after withdrawing at his last tourney. He’ll likely play all the majors, maybe he catches lightning in a bottle for four days, but wouldn’t bet a nickel on it.

Latest posts