To All Former CIF HS Football Players

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Curious. X CIF HS and other States FB players starting from the 50's, were your FB uniforms, pads, helmets free and provided no charge by your HS? And, if it was provided free of charge, what year & school you played. I'm wondering when did the CIF change things and impose cost of uniforms onto players? Present time, CIF HS student athletes are responsible for all cost (with the help of their booster clubs & parents).

Looking forward to your answers, thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcKulkin

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
Cordova Sr. High Class of '82 All our equipment was provided by CHS plus transportation to/from away games. Only time that wavered was when the team travelled out of state for games in OR & ID then the team via the Booster club raised half the transportation costs. The rest was split between CHS & the team we played.

VM805

Aug 24, 2017
1997-2000, Carpinteria High, all equipment provided. The only thing that we had to pay for was our away game meal which was only $5 dollars. The parents who organized the fund fed us pretty good after every away game. We always got burritos, Little Caesar's pizza, tri-tip sandwiches, turkey or ham sandwiches, chips, soda, Gatorade. Other than that my cleats is all my mother ever had to come out of pocket for.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
Mid 90s grad who never paid to play. I even found a pair of almost new cleats soph year some upper-class bench warmer left behind so I didn't even have to pay for game cleats that year. Other than Neumanns and the requisite Eric Dickerson face mask I bought myself, all costs were paid for by the school. Boosters and fundraising paid for pregame meals ( Sizzler for us too) and such.

usc2k24

Aug 27, 2017
St. Anthony of the LBC, '78. We bought cleats and mouthpieces. Our hand-me-down game and praccy unis along with the self-torture devices known as suspension helmets were probably made in the 40s.

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
I think I paid for my cleats. It has been 60 years. We had used equipment passed down from previous years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyon.usc

Ridge Rider

Mar 7, 2020
Mira Costa Class of "71.

Everything was provided for except shoes, and jocks, both football and track and field. As a Cee, I am sure my stuff came from the class of 1961!
My first game was in September of 1967 versus Beverly Hills HS. As a bunch of "deer in the headlights" mostly Freshmen, we sat in the end zone stretching and warming up. We were thoroughly stunned as we watched our "opponents' running around the field in their beautiful brand new shiny uniforms. And they were big and they were fast, and their QB was tossing the ball without effort at least 40 yards!
Not only were we sure to lose, but we were going to get hurt....

Then their coach blew his whistle and the team ran off the field right by us. It turned out to be our Varsity performing their Thursday afternoon warm ups in their new season uniforms. After they went by, we looked downfield and saw our real opponents in the opposite end zone. They looked just as rag tag and as small as we were. I found out later that they mistook our Varsity just as we had and were just as psyched out.

When I got to Long Beach State for Track and Field they provided everything including jocks! The locker room manager would have your *** if anything worn each day ended up in your locker. Everything went into the wash, and we checked out new the following day.

Different world.

dblwall

Aug 24, 2017
Without doing a quick search what year did Prop 13 pass in California? I think that‘s when things started getting expensive

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
Curious. X CIF HS and other States FB players starting from the 50's, were your FB uniforms, pads, helmets free and provided no charge by your HS? And, if it was provided free of charge, what year & school you played. I'm wondering when did the CIF change things and impose cost of uniforms onto players? Present time, CIF HS student athletes are responsible for all cost (with the help of their booster clubs & parents).

Looking forward to your answers, thanks in advance...
But do they get to keep their game jerseys? many schools now days let the kids keep their jerseys compared to when I played in 90s we had to return them except for practice jerseys which we paid for and kept. All equipment and game uniforms were free but we had to pay $100 for shorts, tshirts, bags, practice jerseys and other miscellaneous crap. California HS (Whitttier)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pudly76

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
What about the leather helmets?
Actually, we had two players that wore leather helmets because they were so big that none of our helmets fit. The pants were brown. My first helmet in 1959 had one bar. Later I wore 2 bar face masks. We all looked like punters. Our later helmets were nasty. They were not suspension helmets but had solid padding inside like Duke wore at the time. I hated them. My forehead was rubbed raw from wearing these helmets. I had cuts on the bridge of my nose from where guys would yank on my face mask during dog piles.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Actually, we had two players that wore leather helmets because they were so big that none of our helmets fit. The pants were brown. My first helmet in 1959 had one bar. Later I wore 2 bar face masks. We all looked like punters. Our later helmets were nasty. They were not suspension helmets but had solid padding inside like Duke wore at the time. I hated them. My forehead was rubbed raw from wearing these helmets. I had cuts on the bridge of my nose from where guys would yank on my face mask during dog piles.
Ha ha. I remember you could always tell the football players in my high schools because they always had that bandage on their noses.

FightOn4life

Dec 16, 2017
I coach now and we provide Helmets, Shoulder pads, all lower pads (hip, thigh, butt, & knee). They only thing they do have to purchase is a "spirit pack" which includes 3 shirts 2 shorts socks and a practice jersey. And with that some of our alum donate to help with that cost.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I coach now and we provide Helmets, Shoulder pads, all lower pads (hip, thigh, butt, & knee). They only thing they do have to purchase is a "spirit pack" which includes 3 shirts 2 shorts socks and a practice jersey. And with that some of our alum donate to help with that cost.

Hi FightOn, Thanxs for the interesting info. But, what HS, public or private & state you're at? Interesting that your HS provides many free stuff?

From I've learned players, teams are solely responsible providing uniforms (with the help of booster clubs & parents). Does your team have a booster club? Private HS still provide free uniforms. I'm trying to figure things out with HS FB in Calif and other states: timeline in the free, complementary policy. Hopeful a board member knows & will share why the CIF did away providing free FB uniforms, equipment and impose the uniform cost policy upon the student athlete & HS.

From most of the response at one time things were free/complementary, the latest free date so far is 2000. When I spoke to that HS HC it was around 2011. So from 2000 to 2011 the CIF changed their uniform policy.

Please respond to my questions, it will help a lot...

Last edited:

Eltrojano

Aug 24, 2017
Mountain View class of 76. We just paid for cleats and our jerseys, which we got to keep of course.
Loyola HS class of 2017(my son) just paid for his cleats

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
Hi Fight, Thanxs for the interesting info. But, what HS, public or private & state you're at? Interesting that your HS provides many free sfuff?

Currently, from I've learned players, teams are solely responsible providing uniforms (with the help of booster clubs & parents). Does your team have a booster club? Private HS still provide free uniforms. I'm trying to figure things out with HS FB in Calif and other states: timeline in the free, complementary policy and hopeful a board member know/share why the CIF did away providing free FB uniforms, equipment and impose the uniform cost policy upon the student athlete & HS.

From most of the response at one time things were free/complementary, the latest free date so far is 2000. When I spoke to that HS HC it was around 2011. So from 2000 to 2011 the CIF changed their uniform policy.

my nephew currently plays for a public school and all uniforms and equipment are free. same goes for many of my friends who have kids playing football. i don’t think anything has changed regarding free uniforms and equipment. They all play in SoCal

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
my nephew currently plays for a public school and all uniforms and equipment are free. same goes for many of my friends who have kids playing football. i don’t think anything has changed regarding free uniforms and equipment. They all play in SoCal

Dang, now I'm very confused. Why would the HC (public HS) that I spoke to tell me that his kids are responsible for their uniforms. And, that their booster club had to subsidize and buy players uniforms, pads, helmets, shoes, 7 on 7 tournament fees, travel expenses, recruiting cost, etc. We discussed this subject in length, because I just had a hard time with his explanation. He said that's why he could only field a small team all because of cost.

I tried googling this subject and nothing is coming up. I will try to contact the CIF and talk with an official. They will get to the bottom of this subject. Appreciate your post, now you're gonna make me work searching. I guess I won't be playing tennis and swimming laps one day.

9-26-21. Update. How dumb am I. Of course your nephew's HS team provide free uniforms and equipment, it because his HS FB team has a well funded booster club and parents. It's really not free. CIF HS schools do not provide free uniforms like before (past) it's all on the players with the aid/help of booster clubs and parents subsidy. I bet if you ask your nephew he will confirm the present CIF uniform policy. The HC must have told the team all about their uniform situation and their booster club subsidy.

Thanxs for your post, it provided good information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay4usc

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Dang, now I'm very confused. Why would the HC (public HS) that I spoke to tell me that his kids are responsible for their uniforms. And, that their booster club had to subsidize and buy players uniforms, pads, helmets, shoes, 7 on 7 tournament fees, travel expenses, recruiting cost, etc. We discussed this subject in length, because I just had a hard time with his explanation. He said that's why he could only field a small team all because of cost.

I tried googling this subject and nothing is coming up. I will try to contact the CIF and talk with an official. They will get to the bottom of this subject. Appreciate your post, now you're gonna make me work for the correct answer. I guess I won't be playing tennis one day.
Could it be specific to district or school? Doesn’t seem like a CIF thing.

FightOn4life

Dec 16, 2017
Hi FightOn, Thanxs for the interesting info. But, what HS, public or private & state you're at? Interesting that your HS provides many free stuff?

From I've learned players, teams are solely responsible providing uniforms (with the help of booster clubs & parents). Does your team have a booster club? Private HS still provide free uniforms. I'm trying to figure things out with HS FB in Calif and other states: timeline in the free, complementary policy. Hopeful a board member know & share why the CIF did away providing free FB uniforms, equipment and impose the uniform cost policy upon the student athlete & HS.

Hey it’s a public school in San Gabriel valley. We do have a booster club ran by parents, but a lot of our stuff is bought by fundraising. The school district did buy all new Schutt helmets for the kids like 4 years ago.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

Howzit Jay4usc, How dumb am I. Of course your nephew's HS team provides free uniforms and equipment, it's because his HS FB team has a well funded booster club and parents support that bought and paid for everything. It's really not free. CIF HS schools Do Not provide free uniforms like before (past) it's all on the players with the aid/help of booster clubs and parents subsidy. I bet if you ask your nephew he will confirm the present CIF uniform policy. The HC must have told the team all about their uniform situation and their booster club subsidy.

Latest posts