Tom Crean & UGA Basketball

TheRoo

Joined Nov 3, 2021
Feb 6, 2022
Crean is now 15-51 in the SEC during his tenure at UGA. {Overall 47-68}

The Atlanta area has great BB talent each year. How in the world have they been this bad for the 5 years he has been there?

Last edited:
Reactions: mavcock

Gamecock122

Jan 30, 2022

The Atlanta area has great BB talent each year. How in the world have they been this bad for the 5 years he has been there?
Is he best buds with Frank?

Reactions: TheRoo

mavcock

Jan 21, 2022

You really have to try really hard to assemble a team as bad as his.

irmococky

Feb 1, 2022

Though SC doesnt have the population of ATL/Ga… you could ask the same of the SC basketball program under Frank.

mavcock

Jan 21, 2022
Though SC doesnt have the population of ATL/Ga… you could ask the same of the SC basketball program under Frank.
Not really, GA has twice as many residents as SC, and all of their sports are pretty successful. We have women's basketball and a couple equestrian things. But I agree that Frank has let tons of talent leave the state. Do you think we should keep him another year?

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I’m honestly shocked how bad he’s been at UGA. He did well at Marquette but it’s probably obvious now that Dwayne Wade was just that good. Of course he brought him in.

Since then…he’s been pretty bad.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Crean makes Martin looks like a top tier coach in how poorly he's been in his tenure. It's even worse when you realize he's brought in NBA talent such as Anthony Edwards and Nicholas Claxton and has still been very subpar.

irmococky

Feb 1, 2022
Crean makes Martin looks like a top tier coach in how poorly he's been in his tenure. It's even worse when you realize he's brought in NBA talent such as Anthony Edwards and Nicholas Claxton and has still been very subpar.
Both will have coaching vacancies. Which school will land the better coach?

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Both will have coaching vacancies. Which school will land the better coach?
Likely SC, Clemson, and Georgia are open. Bob Richey from Furman will likely be the top candidate for all 3. Of course I’m sure each school has a dream scenario…but those are few and far between these days.

JFrew

Joined Dec 24, 2020 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 1, 2022
Not really, GA has twice as many residents as SC, and all of their sports are pretty successful. We have women's basketball and a couple equestrian things. But I agree that Frank has let tons of talent leave the state. Do you think we should keep him another year?
South Carolinas problem is AD and the BOT. But it's so taboo. There's still a lot of kids that won't come here because of the confederacy

Legal_fowl

Jan 21, 2022
Likely SC, Clemson, and Georgia are open. Bob Richey from Furman will likely be the top candidate for all 3. Of course I’m sure each school has a dream scenario…but those are few and far between these days.
Ritchey would be a mistake. Medved would be a safer bet. My favorite is McMahon at Murray State. He signed and coached Ja Morant and now has Tre Hannibal playing some great basketball.

funktavious

Joined Mar 20, 2002
Jan 31, 2022
Richey has had some pretty good records but I don't see any significant wins against bigger programs and he has 0 NCAA appearances and honestly the names being thrown around in this thread are kind of depressing. We need a bigger name, someone with flare that can recruit blue chip players. If we hire a guy that can't bring in players any better than what Frank Martin is bringing in then what's the point in hiring a new coach? We need to swallow our dignity and hire a guy like Rick Pitino. Look what Bruce Pearl is doing at Auburn right now. We all scoffed at the idea of hiring Pear with all of his baggage and now Auburn has the #1 team in the country.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Richey has had some pretty good records but I don't see any significant wins against bigger programs and he has 0 NCAA appearances and honestly the names being thrown around in this thread are kind of depressing. We need a bigger name, someone with flare that can recruit blue chip players. If we hire a guy that can't bring in players any better than what Frank Martin is bringing in then what's the point in hiring a new coach? We need to swallow our dignity and hire a guy like Rick Pitino. Look what Bruce Pearl is doing at Auburn right now. We all scoffed at the idea of hiring Pear with all of his baggage and now Auburn has the #1 team in the country.
Pitino isn’t going to stick around long enough. He’s up there in age. Not to mention he’s indicated the Iona job is it for him.

The days of hiring big names are gone. There simply aren’t that many big names in coaching…football or basketball.

And I’m not saying I want or would hire Richey from Furman. But he will be among the top candidates at all three schools, easily.

funktavious

Joined Mar 20, 2002
Jan 31, 2022
Pitino isn’t going to stick around long enough. He’s up there in age. Not to mention he’s indicated the Iona job is it for him.

The days of hiring big names are gone. There simply aren’t that many big names in coaching…football or basketball.

And I’m not saying I want or would hire Richey from Furman. But he will be among the top candidates at all three schools, easily.
In that case we might as well hire Gregg Marshall. He proved himself at Wichita State and showed that he can compete in the NCAA tournament. He also knows his way around this area in regards to recruiting. I just do not want to see another Darrin Horn/Steve Newton type fiasco. I'd rather keep Frank than go that route. At least we are a very competitive team under him. We weren't even competitive under the other 2 guys.

GuitarCock

Jan 25, 2022
Richey doesn't seem like a cultural fit here. Small Christian school for HS, North Greenville for college. Seems like he's in the right spot at Furman

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Boy, the coaches and players we could've had from the state is mind blowing...too bad we missed out on Marshall when he was at Winthrop.

I'm not going to mention the players...ugh...

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
In that case we might as well hire Gregg Marshall. He proved himself at Wichita State and showed that he can compete in the NCAA tournament. He also knows his way around this area in regards to recruiting. I just do not want to see another Darrin Horn/Steve Newton type fiasco. I'd rather keep Frank than go that route. At least we are a very competitive team under him. We weren't even competitive under the other 2 guys.
I’d be fine with this, though Marshall would have to do a lot to repair his reputation and it would be interesting to see how he can recruit. But nobody in this league would outcoach him. I’ve been a big Marshall guy since the 2nd time we passed over him for Darrin Horn. We should’ve hired him then and I truly believe you we’d be a solid basketball program and one of the best in the SEC. Somebody will likely hire Marshall. It might as well be us…even if it is 15 years too late.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
South Carolinas problem is AD and the BOT. But it's so taboo. There's still a lot of kids that won't come here because of the confederacy
I find that hard to believe given Staley's success.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I see MBB as "occasionally" competitive......

DRUMSTICK

Feb 13, 2022
Forgive me, my friend. While I agree with the AD part (Seriously, I can not believe that I am defending the Bored with Trust) and because I'm trying to make a point, the BOT did build two, amazing basketball venues within 34 years of each other. The 2nd w/over 18K seating. The Confederacy Thang, I won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

But, I will say this. When I was a student at Carolina, I often heard about how much 'the locals' hated USC. At that time I thought it was just griping & complaining about the lifestyle of college students, in general. However, after graduating and living in ColaTown, meeting the locals, dating their daughters, doing business with so called community leaders, I was shocked at the contempt for USC, and found this to be true everywhere. Seriously, until the recent Political disagreements (and, of course, the Civil Rights disagreements in the past) I was unfamiliar with contempt/dislike at this level. No, let's call it by what it really is, hated for USC.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Cockytop1

Jan 26, 2022

Georgia had a bunch of crappy coaches ….yet …no coach in the 200+ yrs of USC…no mens varsity USC coach has beaten Ga 12 years straight in ANYthing ….

let me guess …you can use pregnant man emoji ?