Top Gun Maverick Review - No Spoilers

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
Entertaining, but mediocre. Great fighter plane footage with no CGI. Follows the original Top Gun formula, not exactly, but too close for my liking. Lots of photos from the original movie. Tom Cruise is in great shape for a 60 year old, but he is still 60. Lots of good action, but formulaic and hokey. Tho limited, I thought Iceman was the best character in the movie.

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
Entertaining, but mediocre. Great fighter plane footage with no CGI. Follows the original Top Gun formula, not exactly, but too close for my liking. Lots of photos from the original movie. Tom Cruise is in great shape for a 60 year old, but he is still 60. Lots of good action, but formulaic and hokey. Tho limited, I thought Iceman was the best character in the movie.
It is a movie not real life. For a movie it was very good.

Lionville

Oct 19, 2021
A little predictable at times but did have a little bit of everything. Drama, humor, love. All told, not bad. I enjoyed it.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
A little predictable at times but did have a little bit of everything. Drama, humor, love. All told, not bad. I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed it, too, but aside from the action footage it really wasn’t very good. Nowhere close to the original. The original Top Gun was great.

Reactions: Hank2623

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I posed before that my wife and I just saw Maverick on Saturday AM. She just said our of the blue that she wanted to see it again. Very entertaining movie…

Reactions: LionJim

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Very good... continuation of Part 1 so anyone needs to either rewatch or watch the original. I always had a thing for Jennifer Connelly.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Thanks for the review. Going to see it tonight. With all the hype, it's hard to avoid.

Hank2623

Nov 1, 2021
Very good... continuation of Part 1 so anyone needs to either rewatch or watch the original. I always had a thing for Jennifer Connelly.

She is attractive, but she looked really thin in the movie. That's just my preference though...like more meat.

Reactions: Bwifan

Hank2623

Nov 1, 2021
It was good, but not amazing. Lots of corny stuff and I didn't like some of the younger actors. The action scenes are phenomenal. I still think the original is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason1743

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I enjoyed it, too, but aside from the action footage it really wasn’t very good. Nowhere close to the original. The original Top Gun was great.
Eh, you think so? I remember loving Top Gun when it originally came out, but I just rewatched it with my boys, in preparation for maybe seeing the new one, and, jeez ... it was much cheesier than I remember. The writing was corny and the plot was just very lacking ... almost like an over-the-top TV movie. Still entertaining ... kids weren't big fans.

Last edited:

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
Eh, you think so? I remember loving Top Gun when it was originally came out, but I just rewatched it with my boys, in preparation for maybe seeing the new one, and, jeez ... it was much cheesier than I remember. The writing was corny and the plot was just very lacking ... almost like an over-the-top TV movie. Still entertaining ... kids weren't big fans.
I admit to not seeing the original recently. Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards were young. Tom Skerrit and Michael Ironsides were perfect. Meg Ryan was adorable. Music was fresh. I agree the story was hokie, but it wasn’t a remake.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Anymore if a movie has shooting in it, I’m out. If I want to see shooting, I can put on the news. I’m not entertained by violence.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
My wife and I just went to see it again as we were looking to escape the heat. Still very entertaining. One question about the planes that were used in the mission. I’ve heard about the F-18, but I’m just a dumb grunt. It seemed that some of them had just a pilot and others had a pilot and weapons/co- pilot behind him/her. The F-14 in the original had a two man crew, but is the F-18 really an either/or for one vs two person crew? It seemed that there was a single pilot followed by a plane with a two person crew as a team, but then Maverick referred to another single pilot as his wing man. I realize this was a movie, but wanted to know what the real world looked like?

mmp121

Oct 8, 2021
My wife and I just went to see it again as we were looking to escape the heat. Still very entertaining. One question about the planes that were used in the mission. I’ve heard about the F-18, but I’m just a dumb grunt. It seemed that some of them had just a pilot and others had a pilot and weapons/co- pilot behind him/her. The F-14 in the original had a two man crew, but is the F-18 really an either/or for one vs two person crew? It seemed that there was a single pilot followed by a plane with a two person crew as a team, but then Maverick referred to another single pilot as his wing man. I realize this was a movie, but wanted to know what the real world looked like?
Per link below...

The single-seat F/A-18E and the two-seat F/A-18F are high performance, twin-engine, mid-wing, and multi-mission tactical aircraft designed to replace the F/A-18C (single-seat) and F/A-18D (two-seat) aircraft as they reach the end of their service lives and retire.

The F/A-18 E and F Super Hornet were rolled out at McDonnell Douglas (now a part of Boeing) in 1995. The E is a single seat and the F is a two-seater. The dual-seat variant serves as a trainer in addition to bringing added mission capacity on deployment by facilitating shared workload.

Nittany9

Oct 31, 2021
Did anyone else see this as almost Star Wars but on Earth w/ Navy Pilots?
You had to navigate a narrow pass with the smaller fighter jet as the targets weapon systems were for a larger attack…..then a precise shot into an exposed air vent would trigger a chain reaction explosion and explode the Death Star.
Only thing missing was C-3PO giving the plans to the military.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
You had to navigate a narrow pass with the smaller fighter jet as the targets weapon systems were for a larger attack…..then a precise shot into an exposed air vent would trigger a chain reaction explosion and explode the Death Star.
We made the exact same comment minutes after seeing it. The plot was basically a repeat of the trench run on the Death Star. IIRC, even the target was the exact same width.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Caught the original ‘Danger Zone’ video on MTV today and it gives away the whole movie. It’s basically the significant plot points, in sequence, with Kenny Loggins laying in bed in between. It even shows Goose’s death and the dogfight with the MIG at the end (including it being blown up). What the hell.

2PBC22

Nov 7, 2021

Nearly the same role in a Carrier Air Wing. A Carrier Air Wing has 3 F-18E single seat Squadrons (one eventually replaced by F-35s) and 1 two-seat Squadron. The 2-seat F-18s carry a little less gas, but are responsible for the Forward Air Controller Airborne role. Otherwise, the training is nearly the same. The 4 squadrons integrate seamlessly so it wouldn't be uncommon to have a single seat and 2-seat F-18 in the same formation. It would be uncommon however to fly both models when deployed on an aircraft carrier, but you can switch models during a career.

Reactions: Got GSPs

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
That would be R2D2--not C3PO.... But I thought the same thing.

Latest posts