Tyler Rudolph enters transfer portal

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
Just saw where the LSU DB - Elias Ricks - has entered the portal - with all of the turmoil at LSU - and is now considered the no. 1 player in the portal. This kid is bigtime and - I believe - he's a freshman or RS freshman. Did PSU recruit him and do we have a shot? It seems everybody will be after him.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Just saw where the LSU DB - Elias Ricks - has entered the portal - with all of the turmoil at LSU - and is now considered the no. 1 player in the portal. This kid is bigtime and - I believe - he's a freshman or RS freshman. Did PSU recruit him and do we have a shot? It seems everybody will be after him.
Looks like we offered but his portal crystal ball is 100% Bama on 247.

Reactions: TheGlovStillRules

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Wonder if Rudolph's portal entry is due to him knowing that Brown is coming back?

Or maybe with Ellis and Reed seemingly ahead of him that's enough to make him leave.....

I wouldn't believe Sutherland would return, but who knows.

And right now the 2022 class has some serious talent that could end up at Safety. Flowers, Driver, .....

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Wasn’t he in the dog house after week 2 I thought it was reported something happened
What we are never 100% sure of are discipline and academic issues. I think the portal provides these young men with an opportunity to succeed if they have been buried on the depth chart, struggled academically or have been told to get a fresh start due to a violation of team rules. Everyone matures at a different pace. A second opportunity and a fresh slate can do wonders.
Now that Coach is looking at the portal as a form of recruiting....I think the net result (loss/gain) will be fine.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
This damn transfer portal needs to be reigned in by the NCAA.

If a coach or coordinator leaves or gets fired I completely understand and agree with an athlete entering the portal. But that’s it!!!

Reactions: step.eng69

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
I think there was one on the other board, maybe we can pin an official transfer portal thread? Unfortunately, going to be an annual topic for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: step.eng69

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Not a surprise. one of the reasons they no longer post a depth chart, I believe, is to keep kids from doing this in season.

Have to assume you will lose 5-10 a year to the portal.
Yep.
And if you’re not bringing in a similar amount that you lose, you wind up with really good players (or at least the best you have) at starter or in the rotation, and really really green inexperienced young guys as backups with very little depth.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
It's one more headache for the coaching staff- you want to bring in players who might help you, but not players with a lot of issues.

Chris92

Oct 14, 2021
Wasn’t he in the dog house after week 2 I thought it was reported something happened

There were rumors of a post-game incident following the Nova game. He hasn't been spotted at games or at practice by the media since then.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Yep.
And if you’re not bringing in a similar amount that you lose, you wind up with really good players (or at least the best you have) at starter or in the rotation, and really really green inexperienced young guys as backups with very little depth.

Makes developing tough. We had 3-5 DTs transfer out last couple of seasons. You mold PJ into All Big 10. Brought in Tangelo, offset Shelton loss. PJ gets hurt and our depth is young. Ellies and Izzard will be fine next year, but we lived through growing pains this year.

Reactions: OptionBob

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Yep.

Can't just bring in the numbers of players. When the 2 and 3 year players move on teams that can bring in the high talent players that are ready to contribute as true freshman have a giant advantage over the others. In this new landscape it is almost a necessity to back up top recruiting classes year after year to end up with a team with the top players and complimentary young talent and depth to compete for league championships and a chance at breaking into the playoffs. Trying to fill the gaps with the Portal can work, but the competition for impact/top portal player (and they are pretty few) will be equally intense.

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Can't just bring in the numbers of players. When the 2 and 3 year players move on teams that can bring in the high talent players that are ready to contribute as true freshman have a giant advantage over the others. In this new landscape it is almost a necessity to back up top recruiting classes year after year to end up with a team with the top players and complimentary young talent and depth to compete for league championships and a chance at breaking into the playoffs. Trying to fill the gaps with the Portal can work, but the competition for impact/top portal player (and they are pretty few) will be equally intense.
I agree to an extent, but remember, this is a zero sum enterprise. If you’re losing 5-10 a year getting redistributed to other FBS schools, you’re automatically younger (out if you prefer, they’re automatically more experienced). If this happens one year, ok, but year after year you cycle young guys in to replace what you lost, at some point, you wind up real thin/young on the two deep.
I don’t think it’s necessary to bring in Justin Fields via the portal, but if you’re losing 5-10 each year and the plan is to replace only with recruits, that’s what you get: 18/19 year olds constantly replacing 20 year olds that move on via the portal.

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Makes developing tough. We had 3-5 DTs transfer out last couple of seasons. You mold PJ into All Big 10. Brought in Tangelo, offset Shelton loss. PJ gets hurt and our depth is young. Ellies and Izzard will be fine next year, but we lived through growing pains this year.
Yep and that’s kind of the cycle you can get if 120+ Teams are cycling 5-10 a year, and you don’t. You wind up “giving” into the talent pool and never “taking” from it. So instead of using the pool for depth, you use classes.
The DL are perfect examples of using the portal to replace from a position we lost. But we need it from several positions, not every year, but maybe rotating year to year on need. Not believing in the portal isn’t an option anymore.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
I agree to an extent, but remember, this is a zero sum enterprise. If you’re losing 5-10 a year getting redistributed to other FBS schools, you’re automatically younger (out if you prefer, they’re automatically more experienced). If this happens one year, ok, but year after year you cycle young guys in to replace what you lost, at some point, you wind up real thin/young on the two deep.
I don’t think it’s necessary to bring in Justin Fields via the portal, but if you’re losing 5-10 each year and the plan is to replace only with recruits, that’s what you get: 18/19 year olds constantly replacing 20 year olds that move on via the portal.
Right. And to have depth that is either talented or experienced enough to field a top 5 team a team needs many of the young players to be quickly ready to contribute. Thus the need to recruit a fair amount of players quickly ready to play at a high level as true or RS freshmen.

Reactions: donaldfair71

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Right. And to have depth that is either talented or experienced enough to field a top 5 team a team needs many of the young players to be quickly ready to contribute. Thus the need to recruit a fair amount of players quickly ready to play at a high level as true or RS freshmen.
And unfortunately there are like 3 programs doing that right now (and we’re not one!).

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
And unfortunately there are like 3 programs doing that right now (and we’re not one!).
Yep, and that's why Franklin negotiated big improvements in the football facilities, because he knows that to make the playoff he has to take his recruiting to the next level on a more consistent basis year to year. It's the only realistic way to get nearer to oh-high-ya, Bama, GA, Oklahoma, Clemson, and possibly USC if they get a top coach.

Reactions: Bison13

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Yep, and that's why Franklin negotiated big improvements in the football facilities, because he knows that to make the playoff he has to take his recruiting to the next level on a more consistent basis year to year. It's the only realistic way to get nearer to oh-high-ya, Bama, GA, Oklahoma, Clemson, and possibly USC if they get a top coach.
While I think that’s true, I also think that he needed to (and he has) embrace the portal. But I still think his next step is to actively pursue guys who can be difference makers on O.
I know we disagree on this (or maybe I have misunderstood your feelings on him), but there’s no reason we’ve had 3 years of SC and haven’t brought in someone else to at least compete. But I think it goes back to JF’s admitted bias against the portal, and like I said, I hope he sees now that you better embrace it or you’re a stick in the mud.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
While I think that’s true, I also think that he needed to (and he has) embrace the portal. But I still think his next step is to actively pursue guys who can be difference makers on O.
I know we disagree on this (or maybe I have misunderstood your feelings on him), but there’s no reason we’ve had 3 years of SC and haven’t brought in someone else to at least compete. But I think it goes back to JF’s admitted bias against the portal, and like I said, I hope he sees now that you better embrace it or you’re a stick in the mud.
Don't remember if we really discussed Franklin's use of the portal fully, but I really don't believe he is adverse to it. I believe he may have not geared up to it as soon as a few other top teams, but he did a great job of using it to address the 2021 team needs. Many would say other than QB. But Franklin has discussed his staff's efforts to address the QB depth, as he said that the talented QB's in the portal expect to go to teams that purely want a starting QB and he said he will never guarantee a portal player a starting job over the players in his system. Players at other positions, such as Tangelo and Ebeketie came in and were not guaranteed a starting position, coming in from lesser programs, Duke and Temple. And they came in to get exposure and play for bigger things on a bigger stage expecting their talent to get them on the field. That is much different than what a talented QB expects. So unless another Justin Fields shows up in the portal in a year when PSU has limited returning QB experience, or a top portal player just feels he can come in and blow away the PSU QB competition without a guarantee to start (wanting to play at PSU or for Franklin over teams that would guarantee a starting job), Franklin won't take a QB from the portal unless it is a lesser talent to fill depth after a year when the PSU QB room gets decimated by transfers or major injuries. And that would not make those expecting a Tua or another top transfer showing up at PSU to save the day when PSU has a returning starting QB happy. And even with only 3 scholarship QB's on the roster this year Franklin and his staff didn't find a portal player that they thought was worth a scholarship rather than going into the season with 3 and a walk on they seem to like in Stahl.

So I just don't see many or possibly any portal QB's coming to PSU. But really the portal is still new and we may see trends change as not only teams adjust, but the transfer players adjust their expectations.

Another thing that Franklin said is that he likes to go after portal players that he and his staff vetted and got to know as H.S. player and liked (or at least were aware of in their normal recruiting areas). So that may limit the field somewhat compared to some who believe Franklin will go after players from coast to coast coming into the portal.

And for me, I'd rather see PSU bring in more than enough H.S. QB's and then lose some to the portal with those that stay being the top talent, and possibly some just wanting to stay and enjoy what PSU has to offer as a student athlete. And then continue to recruit mostly 2 per year to have the young talent at QB that the top teams seem to have at most positions. And not have to go to the portal for QB's.

The recent QB's PSU lost to the portal, one from Oregon and one from Vegas, it seems natural that they might not stick around so far from home if they see that they aren't going to get on the field quickly. I like the fact that Allar and Pribula are pretty local to PSU which also could help them settle in at PSU for the longer haul.

We may be more on the same page regarding the portal, or maybe not...... :giggle:

Last edited:

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021
Don't remember if we really discussed Franklin's use of the portal fully, but I really don't believe he is adverse to it. I believe he may have not geared up to it as soon as a few other top teams, but he did a great job of using it to address the 2021 team needs. Many would say other than QB. But Franklin has discussed his staff's efforts to address the QB depth, as he said that the talented QB's in the portal expect to go to teams that purely want a starting QB and he said he will never guarantee a portal player a starting job over the players in his system. Players at other positions, such as Tangelo and Ebeketie came in and were not guaranteed a starting position, coming in from lesser programs, Duke and Temple. And they came in to get exposure and play for bigger things on a bigger stage expecting their talent to get them on the field. That is much different than what a talented QB expects. So unless another Justin Fields shows up in the portal in a year when PSU has limited returning QB experience, or a top portal player just feels he can come in and blow away the PSU QB competition without a guarantee to start (wanting to play at PSU or for Franklin over teams that would guarantee a starting job), Franklin won't take a QB from the portal unless it is a lesser talent to fill depth after a year when the PSU QB room gets decimated by transfers or major injuries. And that would not make those expecting a Tua or another top transfer showing up at PSU to save the day. And even with only 3 scholarship QB's on the roster this year Franklin and his staff didn't find a portal player that they thought was worth a scholarship rather than going into the season with 3 and a walk on they seem to like in Stahl.

So I just don't see many or possibly any portal QB's coming to PSU. But really the portal is still new and we may see trends change as not only teams adjust, but the transfer players adjust their expectations.

Another thing that Franklin said is that he likes to go after portal players that he and his staff vetted and liked (or at least were aware of in their nornal recruiting areas). So that may limit the field somewhat compared to some who believe Franklin will go after players from coast to coast coming in the portal.

And for me, I'd rather see PSU bring in more than enough H.S. QB's and then lose some to the portal with those that stay being the top talent, and possibly some just wanting to stay and enjoy what PSU has to offer as a student athlete. And then continue to recruit mostly 2 per year to have the young talent at QB that to top teams seem to have at most positions. And not have to go to the portal for QB's.

The recent QB's PSU lost to the portal, one from Oregon and one from Vegas, it seems natural that they might not stick around so far from home if they see that they aren't going to get on the field quickly. I like the fact that Allar and Pribula are pretty local to PSU which also could help them settle in at PSU for the longer haul.

We may be more on the same page regarding the portal, or maybe not...... :giggle:
Ha, maybe, but I talk ball so much on here I forget where everyone stands!

My worry is that he rules out ALL QBs in the portal and I don’t know what would change that opinion until I personally see him bring in a difference maker (or one at all, really).
I just can’t believe there wasn’t better available the last 3 years, and I don’t think that any QB would immediately tune out PSU as an option unless they’re given the impression that they’re unwanted. Clearly, you want “homegrown” talent. But while I don’t want people guaranteed starting spots, it’s been clear to me that SC isn’t quarterbacking a contending team.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Wonder if Rudolph's portal entry is due to him knowing that Brown is coming back?

Or maybe with Ellis and Reed seemingly ahead of him that's enough to make him leave.....

I wouldn't believe Sutherland would return, but who knows.

And right now the 2022 class has some serious talent that could end up at Safety. Flowers, Driver, .....
I thought he was playing really strong in the early season. I know he had the targeting in one game, but came back in the second half of the next game. Then totally disappeared. Not sure if he played after Nova game or not. He looked like a future star here. What would the portal do for him unless he wants to go down a tier in the school. makes no sense to me.