USC cans valedictorian's speech

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Crazy time we‘re living in. She looks so dangerous, lol.
What she looks like has nothing to do with it.She has a social media presence that is very much anti-Zionist and has called for the abolishment of the state of Israel.

She was selected out of over 100 applicants whose GPA qualified them to potentially be the valedictorian. USC says they did not consider social media activity but that is very surprising. Why did they select her in the first place without thoroughly vetting?

Any potential candidate delivering a valedictory speech should not be consistently espousing political views, one way or the other. They have to represent the overall student body and to me, there's no doubt that her speech and presence would be viewed as anti-Semitic by thousands of Jewish students at USC.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
There were already threats and the school feared for the security of attendees. Simple as that.

I mean--she says that it should be a day of celebration for her and her family, but now that has been taken away...well, had she opened her mouth on that stage and a bunch of antic-semitic rhetoric came out, that would have ruined it for A LOT of other families.

That, however, is not the official reason why she was barred from speaking; it was safety, as you indicated. There have been speaking events or performances by Jewish artists that have been shut down due to "safety concerns" as well, and I wish that thee schools show a bit more backbone and toughness, allow the events to occur, and deal firmly with any threats, and that goes both ways.

With that said, had she been allowed to speak and decided to spew antisemitic hate, if a was there, I would have stood up and shouted her out. (It's not certain she would have done that though.)

Last edited:

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
What she looks like has nothing to do with it.She has a social media presence that is very much anti-Zionist and has called for the abolishment of the state of Israel.

She was selected out of over 100 applicants whose GPA qualified them to potentially be the valedictorian. USC says they did not consider social media activity but that is very surprising. Why did they select her in the first place without thoroughly vetting?

Any potential candidate delivering a valedictory speech should not be consistently espousing political views, one way or the other. They have to represent the overall student body and to me, there's no doubt that her speech and presence would be viewed as anti-Semitic by thousands of Jewish students at USC.
They’re a lot of Jewish people in the diaspora and in Israel itself who are also Anti-Zionist. That is such a loaded term nowadays.

i‘ll be honest, I never heard of her before this thread. Seems like there will be protests either way.

Let me ask you this, is it her mere presence that is the issue, or do they think she‘s going to turn the speech into some kind of political diatribe. Because technically, it doesn’t have to be that because it really has nothing to do with politics. It’s about celebrating her success at USC and her journey, which by all accounts has been pretty successful.

Reactions: EdtheConquerer17

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
Resistance to genocide.

“NBC News described Tabassum as a first-generation South Asian American Muslim from Chino Hills – a city east of Los Angeles – in her fourth-year as a biomedical engineering student. She has also been pursuing a minor in resistance to genocide..

Seems like a terrible waste of money. Everyone knows that the way to "resist genocide" is to rape, murder, and kidnap hundreds of innocent people, including women and children and threaten to repeat that act until you are successful in overthrowing the Jewish state. Then, when a government takes military action to prevent that from happening again, you interrupt civil gatherings worldwide and block all of their roads and airports. Duh!

Last edited:

Morley Drury

May 19, 2023
They’re a lot of Jewish people in the diaspora and in Israel itself who are also Anti-Zionist. That is such a loaded term nowadays.

i‘ll be honest, I never heard of her before this thread. Seems like there will be protests either way.

Let me ask you this, is it her mere presence that is the issue, or do they think she‘s going to turn the speech into some kind of political diatribe. Because technically, it doesn’t have to be that because it really has nothing to do with politics. It’s about celebrating her success at USC and her journey, which by all accounts has been pretty successful.
Yep--I'm pretty sure she was going to avoid the subject altogether, because we know that lefties like to stay away from politics. We don't have enough hate on campus. She would have been a refreshing change.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Thousands of Jewish students at USC have made their opinion clear where she is concerned. USC has had multiple issues where Israel/Palestine supporters are concerned.
Yes, which is why she was a poor choice.
Either and worse, potentially, were she to actually say something. It's about what she represents. It's who she is...her political viewpoint is present in her social media and that's what college kids live by these day....social media. A link in her bio has statements calling Zionism a “racist settler-colonial ideology” and advocated for the abolishment of the state of Israel. If part of her "journey" is to espouse the abolishment of a state that thousands of other students believe is their homeland, it's not a good representation. She IS politics.

I question Guzman's selection of her. He's a Harvard-educated elitist who has taught at the most liberal indoctrination centers in the country. I don't believe for one second that they/he was unaware of her social media activity. Why her? Over the 100 others? Why pick someone whose life is enmeshed in political disharmony?

Last year's valedictorian spoke about health inequity. The one before that on the global perspective of music. And the one before that was the first Black valedictorian for USC who spoke about the environment.

There is no good reason to select a pro-Palestinian student in the current environment in particular, but probably never, when their opinion on the state of Israel is well-known. I would feel the same if a Chinese student was selected who had publicly espoused support for China taking over Taiwan.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
They should’ve selected a sports journalism student who would speak on the “State of USC Athletics, the Lakers‘ Playoff Chances, and the Dodgers Quest for a Ring” ☝️

That’s the only way, if I were a student, that I’d listen 👍😎

Reactions: Trojan JST

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
She's a pro-terrorist scumbag.
So if she’s a pro terrorist, who are the people making threats if she’s allowed to speak?

Another campus official who was part of the decision, Erroll Southers, said threats came in via email, phone calls and letters. Southers is USC’s associate senior vice president for safety and risk assurance.

Individuals “say they will come to campus as early as this week,” Southers said. He did not elaborate.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Resistance to genocide.

“NBC News described Tabassum as a first-generation South Asian American Muslim from Chino Hills – a city east of Los Angeles – in her fourth-year as a biomedical engineering student. She has also been pursuing a minor in resistance to genocide..
So, explain to me how resisting genocide is a bad thing? Or a red flag? Isn’t that something that most Jewish people would understand? Isn‘t the very existence of the State of Israel a form of resisting genocide?

Reactions: EdtheConquerer17

Torch901

Sep 6, 2020
Why did they select her in the first place without thoroughly vetting?

Any potential candidate delivering a valedictory speech should not be consistently espousing political views, one way or the other.
Agree. This is yet another bad optic for a university that has endured far too many of them over the past decade. This should have been such an easy thing to do, select an excellent student to showcase the school. But nooooo....

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
So if she’s a pro terrorist, who are the people making threats if she’s allowed to speak?

Another campus official who was part of the decision, Erroll Southers, said threats came in via email, phone calls and letters. Southers is USC’s associate senior vice president for safety and risk assurance.

Individuals “say they will come to campus as early as this week,” Southers said. He did not elaborate.
I think you're smart enough to read between the lines here blem. "Threats" were the excuse to cancel this speech. We all know if you watch even 10 minutes of news that Jewish Americans aren't the ones chanting death to America, screaming at people in restaurants and coffee shops, and sitting on freeways like jackasses.

I don't claim to know your personal history but I can tell you've never seen the absolute indisputable evil of radical Islam face to face. Be thankful that you haven't. These people are the most violent and homicidal maniacs on the planet. They literally raped children and set them on fire while capturing that on video. Take a few minutes to educate yourself.

We're so generous in this country that we invite these scumbags to receive educations in our universities while on the flip side if you step foot in many Muslim countries, they'd cut your f****** head off, literally. Let that sink in.

Reactions: GreenSideDoc

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
So, explain to me how resisting genocide is a bad thing? Or a red flag? Isn’t that something that most Jewish people would understand? Isn‘t the very existence of the State of Israel a form of resisting genocide?
Sure. When you explain how eradicating Israel isn’t genocide .

Reactions: Redondo Beach SC

SonofGodzilla

Aug 30, 2017
OK . Who is in charge of the Administration at USC ? What a ridiculous selection for valedictorian . The only safe bet would be an atheist :LOL: :LOL: Whose gonna be mad with that one. (y)

What the university needs is Jenny on the Block , are kickass AD to take over as President.

Reactions: SouthbayTrojan91

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

The safety issue is a concern but there are bigger picture issues. It's commencement...it should be a happy, joyful event for grads and their families. The introduction of politics, especially in the current environment, is just the dumbest of the dumb ideas. It casts a pall on the entire event.

There are other things going on. Why was this candidate selected over 100 others? Guzman knew what he was doing. I don't believe for one second that they didn't review social media, at least of the finalists. Even if it was true, why didn't they review social media? It seems an obvious step in the process. I was telling my daughter 8 or 9 years ago to be thoughtful about what she shared on social media because it could cost her admission to the college of her choice or maybe a job one day. And USC didn't bother to look? Nonsense.

And now we have Guzman, a Harvard guy, who put himself in the position of potentially appearing anti-Semitic. USC can't risk that from an appearance standpoint either in losing potential quality students, or more importantly, donations from wealthy alums. We continue to see companies who are slow to learn that financial backlash for stupid choices is for real. USC is no different and for lack of a better analogy, they haven't been able to avoid stepping on their own dyk for years now.

Once again, USC is national news for all the wrong reasons. Both sides are angry and it was totally avoidable.

EdtheConquerer17

Dec 13, 2020
Agree. This is yet another bad optic for a university that has endured far too many of them over the past decade. This should have been such an easy thing to do, select an excellent student to showcase the school. But nooooo....
She is an excellent student, not just anyone would even be considered for valedictorian.

EdtheConquerer17

Dec 13, 2020
I think you're smart enough to read between the lines here blem. "Threats" were the excuse to cancel this speech. We all know if you watch even 10 minutes of news that Jewish Americans aren't the ones chanting death to America, screaming at people in restaurants and coffee shops, and sitting on freeways like jackasses.

I don't claim to know your personal history but I can tell you've never seen the absolute indisputable evil of radical Islam face to face. Be thankful that you haven't. These people are the most violent and homicidal maniacs on the planet. They literally raped children and set them on fire while capturing that on video. Take a few minutes to educate yourself.

We're so generous in this country that we invite these scumbags to receive educations in our universities while on the flip side if you step foot in many Muslim countries, they'd cut your f****** head off, literally. Let that sink in.
You're an Islamophobe, thanks for verifying.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
MEMRI is a blatantly pro-Israel source that can't be counted on to provide mainstream or nuanced coverage of the Middle East. They also only go out of there way to show the most extreme points of view.
So the women’s statement is excused?
Please. Go. Soak. Your. Head.

Reactions: Redondo Beach SC

Latest posts