USC Football Wednesday Practice Notes & Observations Report (9/22)

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
"**Rehab Island names of note Kobe Pepe and Josh Falo."
Sorry, but Falo has not been a "name of note" for several years now. Sad to see injuries derail his career, but he needs to move on after this season.

Reactions: gubo&palanka

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Marc, were you able to get some inside scoop on JMc's absence?
After practice someone mentioned they saw him with what looked like a neon green bandage wrapped around his elbow. I did not see him or his bandage wrap.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Your practice reports are awesome. I love the observations on Ishmael. I hope that hustle is consistent throughout practices and games! Finally love your last paragraph that there is no vetting going on. There is a post from Larry Brown sports saying they are vetting the Penn state coach! It’s amazing there were 75 replies to that thread. Everyone wants to speculate!
Fight On!

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Only difference I see in the Helton firing and hiring a new coach is that in order to hire a new coach, they must engage with outsiders who do not necessarily have the same priorities as HH. Therefore, I wouldn't automatically discount things that are being reported. It's apples and oranges.

Reactions: MarcKulkin

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Only difference I see in the Helton firing and hiring a new coach is that in order to hire a new coach, they must engage with outsiders who do not necessarily have the same priorities as HH. Therefore, I wouldn't automatically discount things that are being reported. It's apples and oranges.
This is true. However, at the same time they[HH] also recognized that a loose ship was the standard at USC so they're making it a point to keep the lines of communication much more narrow.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
This is true. However, at the same time they[HH] also recognized that a loose ship was the standard at USC so they're making it a point to keep the lines of communication much more narrow.
I would be surprised if they are not currently and have spoken with potential candidates and/or agents. I am sure they have communicated clearly that they do not want any information to leak. So they probably have said, "Hey, if any info comes out on this, I'll know it was you and it could affect any potential negotiations and trust." They are likely keeping the circle tight. Plus a lot of coaches' agents will plant fake info or true info to get a bigger contract (if currently employed) or try to fleece USC.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
I would be surprised if they are not currently and have spoken with potential candidates and/or agents. I am sure they have communicated clearly that they do not want any information to leak. So they probably have said, "Hey, if any info comes out on this, I'll know it was you and it could affect any potential negotiations and trust." They are likely keeping the circle tight. Plus a lot of coaches' agents will plant fake info or true info to get a bigger contract (if currently employed) or try to fleece USC.
Any names that's popping right now are coming from those sources and agents.
I'm not even sure the USC SID is high enough up the food chain anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMLTrojan

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
I keep reading about Calen Bullock in these practice reports, but what about the other new players? I havent heard anything about Prophet Brown, or not much about Ceyair Wright. Just curious to hear a little more about other freshmen players. Also, is there anything happening with schematics that looks different? I know you arent allowed to share specifics, but just curious how much change you are seeing on the offense.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
I keep reading about Calen Bullock in these practice reports, but what about the other new players? I havent heard anything about Prophet Brown, or not much about Ceyair Wright. Just curious to hear a little more about other freshmen players. Also, is there anything happening with schematics that looks different? I know you arent allowed to share specifics, but just curious how much change you are seeing on the offense.
I know it's not fair to every player when they're not mentioned, so if we don't mention them it means they're most likely down the depth chart and playing scout team when they go live. As far as how Prophet Brown looks, he's a freshman and he looks like one sometimes. He's had a few a good moments but nothing that has stood out. And that's okay because he gets limited reps during the season, plus, we in the media only get to attend Tuesday and Wednesday practices.

Ceyair Wright's name was mentioned in the Notes & Observations. It wasn't much,"Ceyair is skipping across McClintock while Naivar is yelling the 2-minute alarm."

I'd love to comment on all 100+ on the roster but that's not going to happen. LOL. Never hesitate to ask about someone specifically and we'll offer what we can.

The changes that we've seen on offense through the first 4 practices under Donte have been subtle. Although they are now using shower screens to protect the play calls being signaled in from the sidelines. Yesterday I saw Trigg with extended action with the first-team offense.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
I know it's not fair to every player when they're not mentioned, so if we don't mention them it means they're most likely down the depth chart and playing scout team when they go live. As far as Prophet Brown looks, he's a freshman and he looks like one sometimes. He's had a few a good moments but nothing to that has stood out. And that's okay; he gets limited reps during the season and we only get to attend Tuesday and Wednesday practices.

Ceyair Wright's name was mentioned in the Notes & Observations. It wasn't much,"Ceyair is skipping across McClintock while Naivar is yelling the 2-minute alarm."

I'd love to comment on all 100+ on the roster but that's not going to happen. LOL. Never hesitate to ask about someone specifically and we'll offer what we can.

The changes that we've seen on offense through the first 4 practices under Donte have been subtle. Although they are now using shower screens to protect the play calls being signaled in from the sidelines. Yesterday I saw Trigg with extended action with the first-team offense.
Good news about Trigg. Thanks Marc.

Reactions: JC SOXX and Pudly76

JC SOXX

Aug 24, 2017
Hi Marc have they replaced Nickel back Johnson with someone else? He got beat on a straight pattern by a H-back but the ball was over thrown. And on another play he fell down in the endzone for a easy TD for Wash ST. Usually you have someone fast back there. Look for Smith and Brown.

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Hi Marc have they replaced Nickel back Johnson with someone else? He got beat on a straight pattern by a H-back but the ball was over thrown. And on another play he fell down in the endzone for a easy TD for Wash ST. Usually you have someone fast back there. Look for Smith and Brown.
Replace? If Greg has a rough game on Saturday Naivar has plenty of options to choose, Calen Bullock being one of the obvious choices. Coach Orlando mentioned it after practice yesterday that Bullock has earned his place with the base defensive package.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Replace? If Greg has a rough game on Saturday Naivar has plenty of options to choose, Calen Bullock being one of the obvious choices. Coach Orlando mentioned it after practice yesterday that Bullock has earned his place with the base defensive package.
Bullock would ball out

JC SOXX

Aug 24, 2017
Bullock starting on the outside at corner, and Smith or Brown in the slot at Nickel for Johnson.

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
I know it's not fair to every player when they're not mentioned, so if we don't mention them it means they're most likely down the depth chart and playing scout team when they go live. As far as Prophet Brown looks, he's a freshman and he looks like one sometimes. He's had a few a good moments but nothing to that has stood out. And that's okay; he gets limited reps during the season and we only get to attend Tuesday and Wednesday practices.

I thought Jaylin Smith has looked good...

I think Bullock should start at a CB spot....hes a lockdown type of cover man...

We have plenty of safeties that can be counted on...

Scottdaloisio

Oct 3, 2019
Unrelated observation, why did it feel like thursdays presser was a 247 interview with donte, the first 6 mins of it was all Ryan and shotgun lmao

• Haha
Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Cardinalblood

Aug 24, 2017
Aloha from Maui Mark, It has been a while! Miss those awesome tailgates! Just wanted to ask if Kenon Christon is even on the team anymore? What is up with him.

MarcKulkin

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 26, 2021
Aloha from Maui Mark, It has been a while! Miss those awesome tailgates! Just wanted to ask if Kenon Christon is even on the team anymore? What is up with him.
John, Aloha!

Until further notice, "Kenan Christon has been removed from team activities."

Cardinalblood

Aug 24, 2017
John, Aloha!

Until further notice, "Kenan Christon has been removed from team activities."
Yeah, I kind of figured that since I had not seen any mention of him, I am sure will be hearing what happened at some point. I could not find anything when I typed in his name on you know where lists. LOL.

Latest posts