USC is No. 4 in newest CFP Rankings

ForwardUntoDawn

Dec 18, 2019
I'm a negative Nancy sometimes but great job to the team and CLR. It wasn't long ago that it seemed like we were going to be stuck with Helton and mediocrity forever.

I hope we get the win versus Utah and start drilling this defense and practice for the rest of December to get ready for Georgia.

Reactions: shane2020

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
OSU will look mighty impressive sitting at home licking their wounds after.that best down and will move up based on how impressive they sat on their sofas

Reactions: SGVFlip

Gr8ythunter

Aug 24, 2017
OSU will look mighty impressive sitting at home licking their wounds after.that best down and will move up based on how impressive they sat on their sofas
I agree. The CFP selection process is BS.

The teams that have ended their season have no chance to lose the next game, because they don't have one.

Playing an extra game (conference championship) should not come into play for CFP selection.

Every team has played the same number of games up to today and should be judged as such.

This ranking SHOULD be the final team selection.

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017

The teams that have ended their season have no change to lose the next game, because they don't have one.

Playing an extra game (conference championship) should not come into play for CFP selection.

Every team has played the same number of games up to today and should be judged as such.

Agree.
Except in the case where the teams sitting just outside at 5 or 6 or 7 have that extra game and one of the 4 loses...or one of the top 4 does not have a game left and 5 or 6 seed does and they win it.

But if you are outside the top 4 and are done playing, then you are done.

Reactions: Gr8ythunter

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017

The teams that have ended their season have no chance to lose the next game, because they don't have one.

Makes perfect sense to me, your takes...

Its the committee giving up control though.....that last weekend of games create/employs so many talking heads on tv, internet, etc that itll be hard to get rid of the current system....

Its rigged so that an Alabama can swoop in and take that 4th spot while not playing, like they did a few years ago, when they actually won the playoffs....hard to argue against that.....

• Sad

Gr8ythunter

Aug 24, 2017

Its the committee giving up control though.....that last weekend of games create/employs so many talking heads on tv, internet, etc that itll be hard to get rid of the current system....

Its rigged so that an Alabama can swoop in and take that 4th spot while not playing, like they did a few years ago, when they actually won the playoffs....hard to argue against that.....
I think (have not looked into it) the new 12 team system playoff will be the same kind of BS.
Some teams will get a bye. That's bologna !
Teams that get a bye will not have a chance to lose .... will be able to rest players ..... will not have a game to get someone injured ...... or get a targeting call.
It's BS ! !

BehindSunset

Aug 24, 2017
Why the hell is ESPN giving USC a 20% chance of making the CFP? While OSU has a 70+% chance?

Are the Utes that much of a favorite?
ESPN had us ranked 14th I think in some poll that (allegedly) included SOS. It’s so stupid.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017

Agreed. This could be solved to a degree by requiring a conference championship, at least if it stayed in the 4 team format.

After expansion, those teams that qualify for the CFP in the final rankings before the CCG should get a bid for the CFP, and those that then play in their CCG should get a bye week for the first round of the CFP.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

And no problem then, if 2 or even 3 of the teams come from the same conference?

I think (have not looked into it) the new 12 team system playoff will be the same kind of BS.
Teams that get a bye will not have a chance to lose .... will be able to rest players ..... will not have a game to get someone injured ...... or get a targeting call.
It's BS ! !
Today is a key factor in whether the 12-team playoff even goes into effect.

"...the Rose Bowl must decide today — Wednesday — if it will conform to the same standards as other New Year’s Six bowls so an agreement to expand the CFP playoffs to 12 teams in 2024 can be reached.

If the so-called “Grandaddy of them all” does not, a new contract for expanded playoffs cannot begin until 2026 and the CFP could move forward without the Rose Bowl in the rotation."

• Wow

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
It's BS ! !
That's exactly how playoffs work in nearly every professional sport.
Don't have a problem with this.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
And no problem then, if 2 or even 3 of the teams come from the same conference?

Today is a key factor in whether the 12-team playoff even goes into effect.

"...the Rose Bowl must decide today — Wednesday — if it will conform to the same standards as other New Year’s Six bowls so an agreement to expand the CFP playoffs to 12 teams in 2024 can be reached.

If the so-called “Grandaddy of them all” does not, a new contract for expanded playoffs cannot begin until 2026 and the CFP could move forward without the Rose Bowl in the rotation."

Rosebowl needs to get over their hubris.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Rosebowl needs to get over their hubris.
To them it's about money. They want certain guarantees so that the game is always the same date/time and doesn't interfere with the parade. Still, to your point, I'm certain the Rose Bowl Committee is interested in trying to make sure they are still the "It Bowl" of all the Bowls.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Really ? Which games make a player sit out for 1/2 the game due to a ref's call in the previous game ?

I was specifically replying to the rest of your post about the play off format and getting a bye week.

However, all pro sports can have this situation.
The penalty for targeting in the NFL, for example, is at the discretion of the commissioner and can result in a game penalty.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020

Even if we beat UT convincingly I’m still halfway expecting the selection committee will find some obscure way to stab us in the back. :(

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Even if we beat UT convincingly I’m still halfway expecting the selection committee will find some obscure way to stab us in the back. :(
Too depressing to think like that. Besides, there is little chance of that happening. Of the two teams below us, Ohio St. doesn’t have the SOS nor a conference championship, and Alabama has two losses and no conference championship. But while both are still considered to be two of the top teams in CFB, that’s too much to overcome to make the top 4. Unless two of the current Top 4 lose.

No doubt in my mind that if we beat Utah, we are in the CFP.

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
Too depressing to think like that. Besides, there is little chance of that happening. Of the two teams below us, Ohio St. doesn’t have the SOS nor a conference championship, and Alabama has two losses and no conference championship. But while both are still considered to be two of the top teams in CFB, that’s too much to overcome to make the top 4. Unless two of the current Top 4 lose.

No doubt in my mind that if we beat Utah, we are in the CFP.
We’re already in the top four… if we won our conference game but got dropped out of the top four for whatever reason, heads would roll. Of course we’ll be in if we beat Utah. The big question is what happens if we do not? :)

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
To them it's about money. They want certain guarantees so that the game is always the same date/time and doesn't interfere with the parade. Still, to your point, I'm certain the Rose Bowl Committee is interested in trying to make sure they are still the "It Bowl" of all the Bowls.
They came to an agreement.
CFP will expand to 12 teams in 2024.

Personally, I think 12 is too many and I thought 8, or even 6 was enough.
5 power conference champions and 1 at large or 5 + 3.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020

Agreed. 6 or 8 are both workable, but we know it’s all about the dollars. Just wait ‘til they go to 16. Or 32!!!! ;)

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
FCS is up to 20 teams with the top 4 getting a bye week.
I would prefer 8 for the Power 5 and having a lower division for the Group of 5 to have their own playoff.
NIL will just widen the competitive gap going forward.

The Group of 5 schools get crumbs from lesser bowl games.
It would bring excitement and interest to their games rather than empty stadiums.

Last edited:

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
I was specifically replying to the rest of your post about the play off format and getting a bye week.

However, all pro sports can have this situation.
The penalty for targeting in the NFL, for example, is at the discretion of the commissioner and can result in a game penalty.
Teams that won their division or conference get a bye in the pros. Teams that lost their conference or division get a “ bye” in CFB. I don’t care how great you are, if your conference has a CCG, and you aren’t in it, you don’t get to back into the playoffs.

Alabama should not be in any conversation about the playoffs. The fact that they are grinds my gears, gnashes my teeth.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

Agreed. 12 renders things like end-of-season rivalry games nearly meaningless. The regular season becomes less meaningful. Teams might be encouraged to sit starters for at least one game to preserve their health for the playoffs.

Then you've got first round games being played on campuses, late in the year, sketchy weather potential. The traveling team will potentially be spending a lot of $$$ on travel with little chance of advancing. Players may opt out...they'll want to prepare for the draft. A long season becomes unbearably long.

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
Agreed. 12 renders things like end-of-season rivalry games nearly meaningless. The regular season becomes less meaningful. Teams might be encouraged to sit starters for at least one game to preserve their health for the playoffs.

Then you've got first round games being played on campuses, late in the year, sketchy weather potential. The traveling team will potentially be spending a lot of $$$ on travel with little chance of advancing. Players may opt out...they'll want to prepare for the draft. A long season becomes unbearably long.
All speculation at this point. But I agree that 12 is too many… 6 gets closer the the top 5, or 8 to the top 10. Beyond that I don’t see a need.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
This should put an end to the conference championship games.
It won't, but unless a team has a chance to get into the top 4 and get a bye week (or is sitting on the bubble), why play your starters or anyone that is in the slightest dinged up or feeling tired?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"As you move it to 12, it becomes more like the basketball championship, and that is certainly a fine event,” Kramer said. “But you really are the tournament champion. Are you the best team in the country? Not necessarily."

I agree with this.

Latest posts