USC Tennis

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Canyon. Are the Trojan men still in the NCAA Tournament ?
Yep, our Boys, #10 USC play #7 Michigan today (Rd 16, Sweet 16) in Orlando, Fl at the USTA National Center (Lake Nona).. See Southbaytrojan91 posted times. It's gonna be a great match. Michigan beat USC 4-1 earlier in da season. But, with Learner Tien in the lineup this is a way better team when they met. I think USC wins a close one.

If they beat Michigan, they will play #2 TCU in the Qt Finals-Elite 8. TCU held the #1 spot for most the season. TCU crushed USC 7-0 in March. TCU is Monster...

You can watch all da Championship matches here: https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/tennis-men/d1/live-updates-2023-di-mens-tennis-championship

Try YouTube as well.

I will watch USC vs Michigan on the NCAA streaming. Fight On to our Boys and team...

Last edited:
Reactions: SonofGodzilla

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Men's. Rd 16, Sweet 16. NCAA Team Championships, Orlando, Fl.

USC loss vs Michigan, 3-4

Wipe out missed da live streaming match, 1:00 pm EST. I thought it was 1:00 PST. Anyway, our Boys loss a close one, 3-4 to Michigan. Dam, Michigan took dat crucial Dbl's pt and won 3/6 singles. Shoot if da Boys had won the Dbl's they would have beaten Michigan, 4-3. Winning dat Dbl's pt was da ball game..

Match was tied USC 3, Michigan 3. In the last, remaining match, Stefan Dostanic single's match was the deciding 4th pt. Stefan played the #8 ranked player O.Styler that went 3 sets, 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 with the last set a tie breaker. Stefan gave it his all.

It was a very close match. This one hurts. Congrats to the team for a very good season. It's not over for USC, Dostanic and Makk are in the single's tournament and Dostanic & B.Frye in da double's tournament next week.

Michigan won the Dbl's pt.

1. #25 Stefan Dostanic loss #8 O.Styler, 7-5, 3-6, 6-7 last match and deciding pt (USC 3 Michigan 3), came down to a tie break-3rd set, so ever close. Stefan played his heart out. Dang, losing dat Dbl's pt was da game breaker. If USC won the Dbl's pt, they beat Michigan 4-3.

2. Learner Tien won #44 P.Maloney, 6-3, 6-4 Leaner came out with the Eye of Tiger and went thru his match fast, in straight sets (finished 2nd in da 6 single's lineup). Very good win for Learner.

3. #39 P.Makk loss #20 A.Fenty 4-6, 3-6. Surprised dat Peter loss in straight sets. All season long, Makk beat higher ranked players. Rare loss for Peter.

4. #109 W.Merek won 6-4, 7-5 A+ win for Wojtek, he has been solid all season, won in straight sets.

5. Bradley Frye loss #63 G.Young, 3-6, 7-5, 2-6 tough loss, Bradley fought like hell = 3 hard sets

6. L.Westsrate won 6-3, 6-2. As usual Lodewijk played well. His match finished 1st of da 6 single's lineup, killed his opponent fast, LW had a great season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
NCAA Team Championships, USTA National Center, Orlando, Fl

Men’s Quarter Finals, Elite 8, 5-19-23

#1 Texas won vs #9. S.Carolina (da other USC), 4-0

#3 Ohio St won vs #6 UGA, 4-3

#2 TCU won vs #7 Michigan, 4-1

#4 Kentucky loss vs #5 Virginia, 2-4

Semi Finals-Final 4

#1 Texas vs #5 Virginia

#2 TCU vs #3 Ohio St

Women’s Quarter Finals, Elite 8, 5-17-23

#1 UNC won vs #8 Texas, 4-2

#3 NC. ST won vs #11 Iowa, 4-3

#2 Texas AM loss vs #7 Stanford, 0-4. looks like an upset, but you never ever count out Stanford in da NC or Big Tournaments. Their HC is da master in getting her team rise up and play well.

#4 UGA won vs #5 Michigan, 4-0

Semi Finals-Final 4

#1 UNC vs #4 UGA

#3 NC St vs #7 Stanford

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
NCAA Team Championships, Orlando, Fl

Men's Semi Finals-Final 4

#1 Texas loss vs #5 Virginia, 1-4. Wow, this was an upset folks, but never count out Virginia, VA has a powerful program.

#2 TCU loss vs #3 Ohio St, 0-4. Another Wow, big upset. TCU was ranked #1 for most of the season. I had picked them to beat Texas in the final. You never know in tennis tournaments.

Finals.

#3 Ohio St loss to #5 Virginia, 0-4 Wow, Virginia killed a strong Ohio St team. From 2000 to 2023, Virginia has won 5 NC and 2 runner ups. They won it in 2022, so it’s Back to Back NC. Every year, VA is ranked in the Top 10. Congrats to Virginia, the current King in men’s tennis.

The PAC is still the King in men’s tennis: USC = 23 NC & 8 RU, Stanford = 17 NC & 4 RU, UCLA 15 NC. & 14 RU. Outside the PAC, UGA is another powerful program. From 1985 to 2023, UGA won 5 NC and 7 runner ups. Also, UGA every year is ranked in the top 12.

Women's Semi Finals-Final 4

#1 UNC won vs #4 UGA, 4-0 No surprise here.

#3 NC St won vs #7 Stanford, 4-0 a little surprised, but the past 6 years NC St has built up a powerful tennis program.

Finals.

#1 UNC won vs #3 NC St, 4-1 UNC deserves the NC, they held the #1 position all year ending with a 35-1 record. UNC is a powerful program.

Women's National Champs and Runner Ups, from 1982 to 2023. 41 NC tournaments.

Stanford, 20 NC, 10 RU-2nd place. Dominates & owns women's tennis. Crazy, Stanford reached, played in 27/41 finals = 66% of all NC tournaments.
USC, 2 NC, 2 RU
UCLA, 2 NC, 5 RU
Florida, 5 NC, 6 RU
Texas, 4 NC, 2 RU

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthbayTrojan91

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
NCAA Single's and Double's Championships, Orlando, Fl
5-22-23 to 5-27-23

Single's, 1st Rd, Rd 64.

Men.

#25 Stefan Dostanic loss vs #8 O.Styler, Michigan, 6-7, 2-6. They played 3 times dis year. Styler won twice and one went DNF with Stefan ahead and gonna win da match.

#39 Peter Makk loss vs #9 C.Rodesch, Virginia, 6-7, 2-6. Tough loss. Like I stated, in any tournament you strive for a 1-16 seed, higher the better. I knew Stefan and Peter were going to meet a top 16 seed in the 1st round.

Dostanic and Frye plays in the Double's tournament.

The Boys & team had a very good 2022/23 season. They came so close beating #7 Michigan in da Rd of 16. Shaka, USC won the PAC 12 title 4 yrs in row and 7/11 at Ojai. USC should finish with a #9 final rankings. If senior Stefan Dostanic comes back next year (Covid rule) this team will be a top 6 team. Team only loses Frye and Rubell, a talented core returns (Learner Tien?). And, maybe C.Masi pulls another magic trick with one or two 5* players.

Women.

#11 Madison Sieg won vs #27 R.Mertena, Tennessee 6-4, 6-1. Good win, Maddy moves into Rd 32.

#43 Eryn Cayetano loss vs #10 D.Frayman, Princeton 0-6, 7-5, 3-6. It was a battle 3 tuff sets. Two different seasons for Eryn. Last year 2022 Eryn made the Elite 8, with a high rankings of #5 and All American. She started the pre-season with a #1 ranking. 2023 season was a dissapointment. Good luck and Aloha to Eryn, a graduating senior. Thanks for the memories.

Maddy and Eryn plays in the Double's tournament.

NCAA college tennis is tough people, it has the 2nd best players in the world. After college many will try da Pro circuit; some will do well and make decent money. Most will not. The Pro game is a hard and brutal gig...

Praying Maddy does not transfer to a top 8 team (UNC, Texas, Stanford, Duke, UGA, Virginia, Pepperdine, Florida). Would not blame her one bit if she makes da move. Somehow, USC talented tennis players are Not developing, losing too many matches, players regressing (E. Cayetano, S.Han, N.Cheong, M.Koenig). This team has so much A+ talent, something is amiss. Tennis coaches must develop their players (improve their game, make them better every year), recognize problems and fix/correct them fast...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
NCAA Single's and Double's Championships, Orlando, Fl
5-22-23 to 5-27-23

Women.

Congrats to USC’s #10 Madison Sieg for making the Semi Finals-Final Four in Singles. Wow, told you people Maddy should have been ranked in the top 5. The ITA selection committee ranked her too low, insulting at #10. As a freshman, Maddy ended up with a Superb record, 34-4.

Semi Final’s. #10 M.Sieg, freshman, USC loss vs #14 Tian Fangran, freshman, UCLA, 3-6, 2-6. They played each other 3 times this season with Sieg losing twice and one match ended up DNF. Out of Maddy’s 4 losses, 2 came from Tian. Many times in sports, a player or team will have the opposition number. For some reason Maddy had a difficult time vs Tian. Tian is from Beijing, China and plays #25 Sleeth, OU for the championship.

The #1 seed and #1 player Fiona Crawley, UNC held that spot all season and the big favorite. But, she loss and were upset in the Qt Finals-Elite 8 to #25 Sleeth, OU. Dang, an even bigger upset, the #2 seed from Texas AM loss early in the 1st Rd.

Also, Congrats to Maddy and Eryn Canetano for making the Semi Finals-Final Four in Double’s. They loss vs #4 seed from UNC, 7-5, 3-6 & (3-10 pts) pro set. So close making the Finals. In the finals it will be an All UNC finals, #4 and #6 seeds. It’s only fitting, UNC won the Team Championship; they are Deep & Strong with 8, 5 star players.

Shaka, Congrats to Madison Sieg for making All American in both Single's and Double's. Also, to Eryn Cayetano an All American in Double's. In the NCAA Tennis Championships, players receives All American honors making it into the Sweet 16. You guys can not imagine how difficult it is to make it to the Semi's of the NCAA Tennis Championships. Maddy and Eryn should be so darn proud of their great play and efforts. They represented USC well. I'm praying like heck Maddy does not transfer...

Men Finals, #8 O.Styler, Michigan vs #2 E.Quinn, freshman UGA. Styler beat USC S.Dostanic in the 1st round. Quinn was the 2022 #1 HS player in nation, from Fresno, Calif.. Stefan played Quinn 3 times this year, with Quinn winning 2 times and Stefan winning once. All 3 matches went 3 sets.

I strongly felt Stefan was a top 6 player. For some reason he was just too inconsistent all season long. Stefan has a great tennis game, he just needed to concentrate better, limit unforced errors and play high % tennis. He goes for too much lines and passing shots = low % tennis.

Observation and Notes. #35 Connie Ma-Stanford, 2022 runner up in the singles finals was not invited to this 2023 NC tournament. I find dat strange, maybe not, freaken Stanford is so deep with top players. I think there's a 2 player limit from a school rule. Strong PAC 12, 4 girls made the Qts or Elite 8: Maddy Sieg-USC, Tian Fangran-UCLA, A.Blake & A.Yepifanova-Stanford. And, 3 made the Semi's-Final 4: Sieg, Fangran and Blake. There are outstanding talent in the PAC 12.

Men's side, 2 PAC 12 players advanced to the Qt's-Elite 8, Fery-Stanford, Cassone-ASU, with Cassone advancing to da Semi's-Final 4.

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Men Finals, #8 O.Styler, Michigan vs #2 E.Quinn, UGA. Styler beat USC S.Dostanic. Quinn was the former #1 HS player in nation, 2021, from Fresno, Calif.. Stefan played Quinn 3 times this year, with Quinn winning 2 times and Stefan winning once. All 3 matches went 3 sets.

I always felt Stefan was a top 6 player, but for some reason was just too inconsistent all season long. Stefan has a great tennis game, just needs to concentrate better, limit unforced errors and play a higher % tennis...
Amazing match. I think Quinn is only the 4th freshman ever to win? Fought off 4 championship points.

Reactions: Canyon.usc

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Shoot missed the finals today, had to do something in LA. Stupid me, I did not record it. Congrats to UGA Ethan Quinn, Freshman, Fresno, Calif da men's NC in singles. E.Quinn was a former #1 HS ranked in nation. Veebs, I think you got dat right. But, there have been many other freshmen both male and female that have made the semi finals.

Heck, highly ranked HS players have the skills to do well in college tennis. High ranking HS players have been playing since 7 years old; practice almost daily, put in a lot of hard work, they have tremendous support (personal coach, trainers, strong support from regional USTA developmental programs and most of all from parents). When I saw Jennifer Caparati and Monica Seles as 15 yrs old, I felt they could beat any pro. And, they did...

Tian Fangran, freshman, UCLA won the women's title. Shaka for 2023 NCAA tennis NC, there are 2 freshmen as tennis Champs.

Hopefully Learner Tien returns and play for USC next year. I think he should hold off going to da Pro's and enjoy college life and tennis...

Last edited:
Reactions: uscvball

jl83

Feb 7, 2023
Hopefully Learner Tien returns and play for USC next year. I think he should and put the Pro game on hold...

Found this interview. Apparently he's undecided about returning.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Found this interview. Apparently he's undecided about returning.

Thanxs Bruddah sharing his interview, which explain things. Yeah, I bet the NCAA slow decision clearing him left him sour with college tennis. But, after seeing his game, I strongly feel he should return to college tennis, whether or not it's USC or another school. He needs to get stronger and develop his serves (bigger, more forceful 1st serves), really improve his movement/court coverage, and develop bigger groundies.

The Pro circuit is a tough gig (loneness, mucho traveling, costly, mucho practice and cross training inbetween tournaments). It' a grind getting enough points to reach the top 120 ATP or WTA rankings (must play the future's & challenger tournaments & circuit and built up pts/rankings). Once a player get at least a top 120 ATP rankings, they will get auto invites to tournaments and won't have to play qualifing rounds. And, start making good money/income.

Shoot, Learner said he does not like school work. I think his days as a student athlete is over and will not return to USC next year...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
6-05-23

Final Rankings. Da 2022/23 tennis season all Pau (The End, finish). Aloha & Adios, until next year.

Men.

Team rankings. USC #10. I strongly feel USC should be #8. USC is better than #8 South Carolina and #9 Tennessee. USC almost beat #6 Michigan and beat #7 UGA one out of 2 or 1/2 matches this year.

PAC. Arizona #15, Stanford #18, Utah #17, Cal #22, UCLA #35. Man dis was a down year for UCLA.

Down year for many top programs who normally are in the top 20 rankings. OU #31, Illinois #32, Texas Tech, #33, Oklahoma St #38 , Baylor #47, Florida #22.

Surprises and good year: South Carolina #8, Kentucky #5, Columbia #13, Arizona #15, Utah #18.

Single’s Rankings USC. Stefan Dostanic #22, Peter Makk #48, Wojtek Merek #116, Bradley Frye #103.

PAC. Arthur Fery, Stanford #3, Murphy Cassaone, ASU #13. Stefan beat Fery and Cassaone during the season and #2 Ethan Quinn, UGA. But, Stefan loss to several lower ranked players too, he was inconsistent all year. When Dostanic is on he's a top 4 player...

Women

Team Rankings, USC #25

PAC. Stanford #5, UCLA #18, UDub #21, ASU #26, Cal #32

Pepperdine #9. HC Per Nilsson is a top tennis coach and has Pepperdine ranked in the top 12 since he's been at Pepperdine, 2014 and for 9 years now. 2021, #7 Pepperdine loss in the NC finals, taking 2nd place (runner up). Somehow, if USC could steal and get C.Nilsson, he would bring PAC 12 or even Nantional Championships to USC.

Good Year. NC St #4, UGA #2, Iowa St #8

Down Year. USC #25, Vanderbilt #30, Southern Methodist #35, Baylor #36, TCU #46, Princeton #56

Single’s Rankings. Madison Sieg USC #5 (was #10), Tian Fangran UCLA #8, was #14, A.Blake Stanford #21 (should be #12, A.Yepifanova Stanford, #28 (should be #13), Connie Ma Stanford #38 (2022 took 2nd place in NC singles, #7 rankings), Eryn Cayetano USC #50 (preseason #1, 2022 ended with #5 rankings).

I feel Tian Fangran, UCLA and the National Champ in singles should be #2. Fiona Crawley, UNC deserves the #1 spot, she held it all year, even though losing in the Qt finals at the NCAA NC tournament. And, Maddy Sieg #5 should be #4.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
USC Tennis, 2023-24 Season.

Fall Season.

Sorry folks for not posting any updated results. The Fall season started in September, but I’m unenthusiastic for the Men's and Women's teams for da 2023-24 season. I think and feel this season will be just average, 3rd to 4th in PAC 12 standings. It is best I stay away from citing problems. What good will dat do?

I adore the rich, Xlent history of USC tennis. I can't stand mediocre play as I think will happen dis season...

I’m disappointed with men’s C.Masi below average recruiting results in the last 2 years. Dang, what’s the problem, shoot dis is USC. He should get the very best players. Things got worst when Learner Tien, #1 HS recruit, played for only 7 matches last season (NCAA holdup) left for the Pro’s (7 matches and done) Wipe Out! Then one of the upcoming, very talented young players Ryan Colby transferred to UGA. I'm seeing a 3rd to 4th place year end standings?

I’m disappointed by women’s C.Swain for not developing her top players. With some players having regressed. C.Swain is a very good recruiter, but she is suspect as a tennis technician. If Maddy Sieg had stayed (left for Pro's), maybe the team would have had a chance dethroning Stanford. I'm seeing a 4th to 5th place year end standings?

When I see good things happening with both teams, I will post results and tennis news. Until then, I will focus on our FB season.

Peace and Aloha

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Xlent News, Women Tennis

Southwest Regional Championship, San Diego, 10-19 to 10-23-23.

Hooray & Shaka, USC, Emma Charney, Soph took and won the single's title. Emma beat the #1 seed, Savannah Broadus, Pepperdine, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 in da finals. Big upset. Emma beat/won the #1 #2, #4 seeds in the tournament. Great tournament for our young E.Charney. This was a big tournament of 128 players = 7 rounds. Emma beat 7 very good players.

Emma is no slouch, she was the #10 ranked in nation, 5* Blue Chip HS player. She was in the same class as Maddy Sieg, #2 ranked in nation, 5* Blue Chip player. I was stoked when C.Swain landed 2 top 10 HS players. Congrats to Emma for a Great tournament!

USC, Grace Piper, Jr, loss in the Semi's to S.Broadus. Grace had a very good tournament. Proud of her.

The Women's team had 4 girls advance to the Rd of 16. Eryn Cayentano #3 seed, Grad/MS, Snow Han, Soph, and Emma and Grace. Good showing for the women's team. Hopefully, the girls can keep playing good tennis into the Spring season, starting in Jan. 2024. They must work hard on their conditioning and tennis skills during the idle 2 months of 2023 (Nov and Dec). And, find the right (3) double's pairs. Then, practice like hell double's tactics. Double's is Key.

The tennis season is long and grueling. So far it looks promising...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Tennis info with 2 former USC players.

Maddy Sieg, 20 yrs. Current WTA pro rankings, #323. Maddy is climbing at a very good rate. One year ago, she was ranked #525. MS is doing well in the Futures and Challenger Tour Series tournaments. At her current rate and playing a lot of tournaments (must keep getting pts and climb in rankings). MS rankings should be in the 200's within 9 months or sooner. Key, she must play mucho tournaments and get into the Semi's and Finals.

Learner Tien, 17 yrs (18 in Dec.) is doing OK. Last year ago LT had a ATP rankings in the 900's. Currently, he is #595 in rankings. He is not playing as much as Maddy in the WTA. But, when he does play, he's done pretty good (Semi's and Finals). He needs to step up and play more tournaments to climb in rankings. If he plays more tournaments, he could get into the 300"s in one year.

For young players breaking into the Pro's, the major concern are very high expenses/cost vs the low income from tournaments paychecks. At this level, rounds prize money are small. The goal is to break even and maybe get into the black. At these levels getting endorsements and sponsors are rare; even for players ranked in the 100's. Many of the unsuccessful players at these low level tournaments go into the Red. Their mind set is burden with worry about not meeting expenses. Many times players have to dig into parents savings and even borrow money.

Co Co Gauff has a big entourage of (7 to 10 people), dam she must rack up mucho expenses. Co Co's entourage is too big and waste of money. I feel 3 at the most (tennis coach, trainer-fitness coach, manager-Gofer). Most players have only 2 (tennis coach and trainer who does the gofer job too). Gofer's job is to ready tennis equipment-stringing, clean the clothes & shoes, plan the meals and other little things.) Shoot the old time players only brought their tennis coach. Guys like McEnroe did not bring anyone...

One young women player I like a lot is American, Ashlyn Krueger, 19 yrs, current rank #80. Ashlyn had a successful Jr career and skipped the college route. AK is climbing the rankings pretty fast. Ashylyn is tall (6'1") a power player, big serves and groundies. She must work hard on her game, improve being patient, play calm-too hyper, vocal, stay into rallies, eliminate errors, play high % tennis, work on her footwork-movement and get fit, tip top condition. If she does these things, I see her a top 40 type player in one year. Potentially, Ashlyn could become a Top 20 WTA women player within 2 to 3 years.

Last edited:

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017

Fall Season.

Sorry folks for not posting any updated results. The Fall season started in September, but I’m unenthusiastic for the Men's and Women's teams for da 2023-24 season. I think and feel this season will be just average, 3rd to 4th in PAC 12 standings. It is best I stay away from citing problems. What good will dat do?

I adore the rich, Xlent history of USC tennis. I can't stand mediocre play as I think will happen dis season...

I’m disappointed with men’s C.Masi below average recruiting results in the last 2 years. Dang, what’s the problem, shoot dis is USC. He should get the very best players. Things got worst when Learner Tien, #1 HS recruit, played for only 7 matches last season (NCAA holdup) left for the Pro’s (7 matches and done) Wipe Out! Then one of the upcoming, very talented young players Ryan Colby transferred to UGA. I'm seeing a 3rd to 4th place year end standings?

I’m disappointed by women’s C.Swain for not developing her top players. With some players having regressed. C.Swain is a very good recruiter, but she is suspect as a tennis technician. If Maddy Sieg had stayed (left for Pro's), maybe the team would have had a chance dethroning Stanford. I'm seeing a 4th to 5th place year end standings?

When I see good things happening with both teams, I will post results and tennis news. Until then, I will focus on our FB season.

Peace and Aloha
Thanks a lot for the update Canyon, even if it’s a bit unpleasant.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Thanks a lot for the update Canyon, even if it’s a bit unpleasant.
Thanxs and you’re welcome Bruddah Rodgarnay. When it comes to USC's rich history in tennis, I have a tough time seeing mediocrity. I believe the team’s success is about coaching and recruiting. I’m sure as the Spring season begins in January 2024, I will get more excited with the team’s matches…

Last edited:
Reactions: Pudly76

gkierkegaard

Aug 24, 2017

Fall Season.

Peace and Aloha

Canyon, do you know much about the Arizona program? I ask in passing since their coach Clancy Shields rented from me for a year when he was at Utah State. I'm happy to see his success after moving up to a major program.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Canyon, do you know much about the Arizona program? I ask in passing since their coach Clancy Shields rented from me for a year when he was at Utah State. I'm happy to see his success after moving up to a major program.
Howzit Bruddah Gkierkegaard, Sorry, not too much. Last year, the PAC 12 had 5 teams end up with Top 25 national rankings (USC #10, Arizona #15, Stanford #17, Utah #18, Cal #22). Zona had a very good season placing 2nd in PAC 12. They had/have a very good American player, Colton Smith, Soph who was All PAC 12, 1st team. He returns as a Junior. Zona roster is filled with mostly international, Euro players.

Last season surprises. Utah ended up with a very good #18 national rankings. Normally Utah is in the 50's to 80's rankings. But, the HC landed top international players. UCLA had a down year, ended up #35 national rankings. UCLA annually is ranked #5 to #15. Strange, they have top players?

Yep, C.Shields stepped up into a big time league. The PAC 12 men's has won about 85% of all the NC team titles in history. The league is dominated by USC, Stanford and UCLA. The next tier: UDub, Arizona, and Cal.

Sad, this is the last year for the PAC 12 in all sports; Adios and Aloha....

Last edited:

gkierkegaard

Aug 24, 2017
Howzit Bruddah Gkierkegaard, Sorry, not too much. Last year, the PAC 12 had 5 teams with Top 25 national rankings (USC #10, Arizona St #15, Stanford #17, Utah #18, Cal #22). I think Zona ended up 7th or 8th in the league? They had/have a very good American player, Colton Smith, Soph who was All PAC 12, 1st team. He returns as a Junior. Zona roster is filled with mostly international, Euro players.

Last season surprises. Utah ended up with very good #18 national rankings. Normally Utah are above the 50's to 80's rankings. But, the HC landed top international players. UCLA had a down year, ended up #35 national rankings. UCLA annually is ranked #5 to #15. Strange, they have top players?

Yep, C.Shields stepped up into a big time league. The PAC 12 has 85% of all the NC in history. The league is dominated by USC, Stanford and UCLA. The next tier: UDub, Arizona St, and Cal.

Sad, this is the last year for the PAC 12 in all sports; Adios and Aloha....
That's what Clancy leaned on at Utah State too, international players. Hopefully his best years are ahead of him. He's still pretty young and works hard.

I did not know that about the Pac-12, 85% NC rate. Amazing.

Thanks for the roundup, Canyon.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
That's what Clancy leaned on at Utah State too, international players. Hopefully his best years are ahead of him. He's still pretty young and works hard.

I did not know that about the Pac-12, 85% NC rate. Amazing.

Thanks for the roundup, Canyon.
U're welcome Bruddah Gkierkegaard. Zona will be in the Big 12 next year; this league is strong with very good, high national ranked teams: TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech. It would have been way stronger, but Texas and OU, also top national ranked tennis teams are leaving the BIG 12 for the SEC. I wish C.Clancy Shields and Zona all da best in the Big 12. Zona will do well in the Big 12.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
11-6-23

Women’s Tennis

ITA National Fall Championships, San Diego, 11-2-23 to 11-5-23

Draw 32 Top, Best Nation's Players (winners and 2nd place players from da 16 ITA regionals).

Congrats to USC Emma Charney, who reached the Semi Finals, but loss to the #4 seed Ayana Akli, South Carolina, 3-6, 4-6. Our young Emma had another outstanding tournament. This big national tournament had the nation’s top players from the 16 regional tournaments from the previous week. Emma won the single’s in the Southwest Regional. Emma should climb into the Top 10 rankings next week.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Bruddah Gkierkegaard, My Bad. Last season Zona was ranked #15, not ASU, sorry about dat. ASU was #40. Got the two schools mixed up. Corrected my original reply post to you. Cheers. Peace & Aloha

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
11-12-23

Men’s Team. Recruiting News.

USC signed 2 very good players. Now, I'm getting excited.

Niels Hoffman, Corona Del Mar, #17 Nation, 5* Blue Chip, #6 Ca. Very good pick up. My rating (A-). Hoffman will join the team in the Fall of 2024, next season.

Volodymyr Iakubemko, Ukraine, #81 ITF (International Tennis Federation) World Jr rankings. His highest ITF World Jr rankings = #51. Good pickup. VL will join the team in January, just in time for the Spring 2024 season. He has a shot making the single’s lineup, #6 position. My rating (B+).

Learner Tien was ranked #4 ITF World Jr Rankings and USTA #1 USA-Nation in 2022. Juniors high ITF World rankings are deceiving, because if players play and travel the world's tournaments, they will build up points. But, many under the radar, top players from poor countries can't afford the travel expense, thus will have low ITF World rankings. HC's must search far and wide for these under da radar players.

Notes. Trevor Svajda, #1 USTA HS player nation, San Diego and Kaylan Bigum, Los Angeles #2 HS player in nation have not committed nor signed to any college yet. Maybe C.Masi can land one of them? Seen these 2 players, if they are thinking about jumping to the Pro's dat would be a huge mistake. They are not ready. They should play at least 2 yrs college tennis.

Trevor's older brother Zach Svajda, 20 yrs old was a former #1 ranked national HS player skipped college ball 3 yrs ago. After 3 grueling yrs in da Pro's, Zach has slowly climbed onto #141 ATP rankings; with his highest at #137. It's a tough gig breaking into the ATP tennis tour (Pro's). Between the 2 brothers, I feel Zach was the better player at the HS level.

UCLA got Rudy Quan, #4 Nation, #3 Ca, Thousand Oaks.
Stanford got Alex Razeghi, #3 Nation, #1 Texas.

Man these 2 PAC 12 schools have been out recruiting USC for the Top players since C.Masi took over. C.Masi must step up & out recruit them. C.Masi is a very good tennis technician and motivator. But, he won't win NC without the very Best Players from da USA and International-World. C.Smith won NC at USC because he landed the very Top Players annually...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
11-16-23

2023, Fall Season, ITA (Intercollegiate Tennis Association) Final Rankings.

Women.

Emma Charney #22. Nah, Emma should have a ranking #8-#10. The ITA-Intercollegiate Tennis Association got this one very wrong. Emma had an outstanding Fall season beating Top 10 players, winning a major tournament & Semi's in a National tournament.

Snow Hann, #33. Hope Snow rebounds from a below average 2023 season.

Neomi Cheong #42. Hope Neomi has a good 2024 season and her injuries are behind her.

Grace Piper #66. Nope disagree, Grace had a very good Fall season. She should be around #50-#53

Eryn Ceyatano #83. Geesh, Eryn had a #34 pre-season rankings, big drop. Yeah, her Fall season was average, but I feel Eyrn should be ranked in the #50’s. Her personal coach and C.Swain must fix her game. No excuse, Eryn is too talented to be ranked in da 80's. Her coaches must fix her problems (mechanics, mental).

Stanford will take the 2024 PAC 12 with ease. They have 7 to 8, five stars Blue Chip players on their roster (unreal). For 2nd it will be between, Cal, USC, UCLA and UDub.

Men.

Peter Makk, #39. Peter is better than dat, he's a #23-#28 type player. If he plays his top game every week, Peter should be ranked in the Top 20.

Wojtek Marek #42

Lodewijk Weststrate #73. Nah, LW should be ranked in the #40’s

Karl Lee #94. Nope, Karl should be around the #70’s

Strange Stephan Dostanic is listed on the roster as a Grad/MS status, but SD did not play in the Fall season? Maybe he’s joining the team in the Spring season?

If Dostanic a #6 to #10 ranked player plays, I see the boys taking the PAC 12 title again and a #8 to #10 team in nation. No SD maybe 4th? With Stanford, Arizona, Utah, ASU & Cal fighting for 1st place. And, for the nation around #16 to #22. Dam, former USC player, Ryan Colby plays for UGA and has a final ranking of #36. If Dostanic plays and Ryan was still on the team, the team would have been a Top 6 in nation and in the NC race.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
The 2023 NLI or signing period started Nov.7, 2023 for da 2024 class. As of today, C.Swain has not signed anyone? 98% of the top players already signed for their schools.

At the Juniors tennis site, saw dat 2 very good players verbal/committed to USC months ago, but are unsigned yet? What’s da holdup? These 2 girls would be Xlent additions to the team.

1. Anya Murthy, Fremont, Ca, 5* Blue Chip, #14 N, #2 Ca.

2. Simone Kay, Santa Monica, Ca, 5* Yellow Chip, #65 N, #11 Ca

Stanford signed the #2 Nation, 5* Blue Chip player from Bellevue, Washington.

UCLA signed 2, 5* Blue Chip players. The #10 N & #1 Ca player. And, the #19 N, #3 Ca player.

Pepperdine signed 2, 5* Blue Chip players. The #6 N, #1 Nv and #12 N, #2 NY

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
12-9-23, Men's tennis. Just learned dat C.Masi and C.Johnson landed another top international player, Oscar Weightman, England, ITF (International Tennis Fedration) ranking #69. Weightman is joining the team in January, 2024. He is a very good B+ addition. USC will be da favorite to take the PAC 12 title again. Great recruiting job by C.Masi and AC Eric Johnson.

Recap. USC landed 3 very good players: November = Voldymye Iakubenko, Ukraine (B), Neils Hoffman, Corona Del Mar HS (A-) and December Oscar Weightman, England (B+). Lakubenko and Weightman are joining the team in January and will play in the Spring 2024 season. Both have a good chance of making the 6 singles lineup. Hoffman a senior in HS is joining the team in August 2024, USC fall semester.

Hopefully, Stefan Dostanic plays in the 2024 Spring season in January? Stefan is listed on the roster? If SD plays, man not only USC will take the PAC 12 but be a serious contender (top 6 teams nation) for the 2024 NC title in May 2024.

This 6 + 1 alternate single’s lineup = Wow! Very strong single's, no weakness. Now, C.Masi and C.Johnson must find the right, 3 double's combo and practice like heck dbl's tactics and fundamentals.

1. Stefan Dostanic, Grad/MS, Irvine

2. Peter Makk, Jr, Hungry

3. Wojtek Marek, Jr, Poland

4. Lodewijk Weststrate, Sr, Netherlands

5. Oscar Weightman, Fr, England

6. Carl Lee, Soph, Sacramento

Alternates.

7. Volodymye Iakubenko, Fr, Ukraine (strong alternate)

8. Sam Rubell, Gd/MS, Florida (strong alternate for #5 or #6 posiiton)

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
My pre-season 2024 rankings.

Men

The Top 4 are loaded with top players and pretty much even. They are Co #1 in my book.

1. Virginia
2. Ohio St
3. Texas
4. TCU

These two can upset the top 4. Spoilers.

5. USC (If Stefan Dostanic plays)
6. Michigan

7. Kentucky
8. UGA
9. Tennessee
10. South Carolina

Women. Pac 12 and Nation

1. Stanford, #1 P12, 4 N. Stanford sits alone in da PAC 12. The rest are fighting for 2nd place.

2. UCLA, #2 P12, #18 N
3. USC, #3 P12, #22 N
4. UDub, #4 P!2, #24 N
5. Cal, #5 P12, #32N

Last edited:

contracostatrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Haven't seen it posted on this thread but RIP to 4-time National Champion USC coach Dick Leach. He passed on October 10, 2023 at the age of 83. Father of pros Jon and Rick Leach and father-in law of Lindsey Davenport (married to Jon).

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Haven't seen it posted on this thread but RIP to 4-time National Champion USC coach Dick Leach. He passed on October 10, 2023 at the age of 83. Father of pros Jon and Rick Leach and father-in law of Lindsey Davenport (married to Jon).
Mahalo Bruddah for your nice & thoughtful post. Shaka, C.Leach was a great coach, winning 4 NC + 2 runner ups. C.Leach took over after tennis legend, C.Toley who won 11 NC + 6 runner ups.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Women Team.

About time. Shaka and Hooray, C.Swain just landed and signed one of two top committed players for the 2024 class. Anya Murthy will come in the 2024 Fall semester and tennis season. My ratings (A).

Waiting on Simone Kay...

*1. Anya Murthy, Fremont, Ca, 5* Blue Chip, #15 N, #2 Ca. (Signed) (y)

2. Simone Kay, Santa Monica, Ca, 5* Yellow Chip, #65 N, #11 Ca (Not yet) :unsure:

Men Team.

Aw, #3 single's Wojtek Marek, Jr, ranked #42 in nation entered the TP. Shoot Marek was such a solid player, winning many matches while at USC. I'm sad with this news. Let's see how the 2 new guys (Weightman & Iakubenko) pan out. I think they should fill the void well...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Women tennis.

Shaka, just learned C.Swain and staff landed 2 international players dat will play this 2024 Spring season. Good additions for depth.

Lily Fairclough, Australia, ITF (International Tennis Federation) ranking = #64. Her ITF rankings = to the USTA 5* Yellow Chip type rankings (26 to 65 rankings), second higest rankings, (5* Blue Chip = the highest rankings & the 25 best USA HS players) Have not seen Lily's HL tape but according to her ITF #64 rankings, I would rate her, B+ player. She could make the single's lineup, #6 position?

Imogen Haddad, England, ITF ranking = #843. Have not seen her HL tape but according to her very low ITF rankings, I would rate her a C- player. She's needs development. Hmm, C.Swain must see something in Imogen?

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Australian Open, Tidbits.

USA Women.

Emma Navarro, 22 yrs, is in the 3rd Rd or Rd of 32 and currently ranked #23 in world. She is climbing the rankings fast, same time last year she was ranked #137. She is steadily winning and improving. Emma has a great tennis background. At 18 yrs old Emma was the #1 HS player in USA. She went on to play for Virginia and as a freshman won the NC. The following year as a Soph held the #1 ranking all year, but in the NC lost in the Qt final’s to eventual champion, Peyton Stearns (who’s doing well in da Pro’s as well, currently ranked #48).

It is evident Emma has worked hard on conditioning and her game in Nov & Dec 2023 (off season). I love her complete tennis game: she's has A+ tennis IQ, plays calm, strong groundies, great serves and returns. At this rate, Emma should climb to #14 after the US Open in late August. Note: Emma’s dad and family are multi billionaires. Emma is set for life and does need tennis for a living.

Amanda Anisimova, 22 yrs. Amanda and Emma played in the Juniors at the same time period. Amanda did not play college went into the pro’s at 16 yrs old and got as high #21 WTA rankings in the world. When I fist saw her as a teen, I thought she was gonna be the next great American tennis player. I loved her beautiful and complete game.

Then tragedy struck, her father and coach passed away 2 years ago. She took it very hard and started to lose. Last year she was winning again, but right after the US Open late August, 2023, she took time off due to mental health issues. At this Australian Open, she is winning and into the 3rd round or Rd of 32. Ranked in da 300’s, she has a long ways to climb back onto the 100’s. If Amanda keeps playing like this, she could hit the low 100’s after the US Open in late August, 2024. I’m rooting for Amanda, she is so talented.

Madison Sieg, 20 yrs, former USC player is steadily climbing the rankings, currently #353 WTA in the World. When Maddy left USC in May 2023, her WTA rankings was around #550. She is playing a lot, grinding out the futures and challenger tournament circuit.

USA Men

Alex Michelsen, 19 yrs old, Alliso Viejo, S.California, current rank #73 ATP in the world. Same time last year, Alex had an ATP world ranking around the #550's. Alex is climbing the rankings very fast. In this Australian Open, Alex is winning and into the 3rd round or Rd of 32 (amazing). Alex is big, 6-3 and hits very hard. He needs to work on conditioning, get stronger and all court movement. He is playing very good tennis right now.

USTA HS rankings (2023), Alex #2 and Learner Tien #1 (played only 7 matches, April-May, NCAA holdup) were in the same HS class. Learner chose USC and Alex chose UGA, but never signed, instead elected for the Pro’s. Learner is not doing as well in da Pro's, currently ranked #473 ATP in da World. I knew Learner Tien was not ready for da Pro’s and should have stuck it out at USC for 2 more years...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
1-21-24

Men Tennis, 1-0. Ranked #7 nation

First of all, I believe and feel the team is da #5 ranked team with Weightman. No Weightman, #14 rankings. Dam, if W.Merek was still on the team, I would rank the team #4 in nation...

Da boys beat UC Irivine, 7-0. Da Good Stefan Dostanic finally played & won. Da Bad, Oscar Weightman, top player from England did not play. Weightman signed 12-08-23 and listed on da roster. Is this another NCAA holdup (just like Learner Tien last season)? Team will need him, since Merek left the team. There's little depth.

I think this is da 6 singles lineup.

1. Stefan Dostanic, Grad/MS

2. Peter Makk, Jr

3. Lodewijk Weststrate, Sr

4. Oscar Weightman, Fr (?) just a guess, I'm going by his very good World ITF #63 rankings.

5. Karl Lee, Soph (Karl is an A+ player at #5, he will win many matches & pts dis season)

6. V. Iakubenco, Fr

Alternate.

Sam Rubell, Grad/MS (rate Sam as an A grade alternate & solid #6 position)

Women Tennis, 2-0. Ranked #21 nation (acceptable rankings).

Our girls won twice this weekend, beating Loyola Maymount 7-0 and UC Irvine 4-0. This team is 10 deep. The keys are Snow and Eryn. Last season they were off their game. Hopefully, both have fixed their game and play to their potential. Also, hope Naomi rebounds from her injuries; she is a very good player. I think this will be the lineup for single’s.

1. Emma Charney, Soph

2. Snow Hahn, Jr

3. Eryn Cayetano, Grad/MS

4. Grace Piper, Jr

5. Naomi Cheong, Sr

6. Lily Fairclough, Fr

Alternates

McKenna Koenig, Jr (A ratings, #5 or #6 position)

Imogen Haddad, Fr (B ratings, #6 position)

Parker Fry, Jr (B ratings, #6 position)

Sloan Morra, Jr (B ratings, #6 position)

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Men’s Tennis.

Recap info, in college tennis to win a match there's a combination of pts = 7-0, 6-1, 5-2, 4-3 (1 for Dbl’s + 6 single’s pts). 4 pts is da magic number and the Dbl's or swing pt is very crucial.

When a team gets to 4 pts (won da match), most times both HC’s calls off the remaining singles in play. These matches = DNF, did not finish. Examples of scores a team wins the match: 4-2, 4-1, 4-0.

1-26-24 to 1-28-24, ITA Regional Tournament qualifying for ITA National Indoors Championship, played at home, Marks Tennis Center.

USC #7, 2-0 (W) vs SMU-Dallas, Tx, 4-2

Very good, USC took the Dbl’s pt. All they had to do was win 3/6 single’s and they did dat.

1. S. Dostanic (L) vs Trevor Svajda, 6-7, 2-6. Interesting note. Svajda from San Diego was the #1 ranked USTA HS player in nation. As of early Dec, he did not commit or signed with a college and must have graduated early (senior in HS). I was hoping C.Masi reeled him in, but sometime in Dec, Svajda picked SMU which is ranked in the #50’s. Strange pick, since he could have played for any of the Top 8 tennis programs: Virginia, Ohio St, TCU, Texas, USC, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. Svajda is doing well and is 5-0 so far, he will be one of the favorites for the NC in May.

2. P. Makk #39 (W) vs A.Neff #88, 7-6, 6-4. As usual solid win for Peter.

3. L. Weststrate #73 (L) J.Barton #98, 6-7, 3-6, surprise with LW loss

4. V. Iakubanko (W) 7-5, 7-6, good win for the freshman from Ukraine.

5. K. Lee #94 (W) 6-0, 6-2, Xlent win for Karl, Soph. He is continuing his fine play from the Fall 2023 season. After dis weekend, Karl should move up in rankings. The #4 or #5 position is perfect for Karl.

6. S. Rubell (DNF) 6-2, 6-6 tie breaker set and was ahead about to win da match. Sam is a solid player and alternate for the #6 position.

** Dam wished W.Wotek and R.Colby did not transfer and still on the team. If they were, our boys and team would be ranked in the Top 4 in nation. Too Bad.

USC #7, 3-0 (W) vs U.San Diego, 4-3

Man dis USD team was one tuff cookie and a very good team. USD almost upset #7 USC.

Xlent USC won the Dbl’s pt and needed to win 3/6 in singles and did dat. It is crucial for da boys win dat most important Dbl’s pt.

1. S. Dostanic (L) vs Oliver Tarvet #8, 2-6, 4-6. Shoot slow start for Stefan with a 1-2 record.so far.

2. P. Makk #39 (W) vs Iro Vasa #31, 6-4, 6-0. Another solid win against a top player. Peter is just so solid. PM rankings should climb to #32 to #30.

3. L .Weststrate #73 (W) 6-1, 6-3. LW dominated his match quickly.

4. Oscar Weightman (L) 1-6, 6-4, 3-6. Finally Oscar got to play, but disappointing loss. Maybe he should play at #6 position.

5. V. Iakubenko (W) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4. Tuff 3 sets, but the freshman pulled out a win and valuable pt.

6. K. Lee #94 (L) 3-6, 7-5, 2-6. Surprising loss for Karl.

Very good, da team qualified for the ITA National Indoors Championships, 2-16-24 to 2-19-24, U.Columbia, NY. The team should do well due to a good top 8 seeding. Good luck and Fight On boys!

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Women’s tennis.

1-26-24 to 1-28-24, ITA Regional Tournament qualifying for ITA National Indoors Championship, played at U.Tennessee, Knoxville.

Congrats to our girls and team, they did well on da road in an important tournament. Going and playing on da road is always tuff. They won 2 matches against top ranked teams, thus qualifying for the ITA National Indoor Championships at U.Dub, Seattle, Wa, 2-9-24 to 2-12-24. Good luck girls at the ITA NID Championships.

USC #18 (W) vs Miami #25, 4-2

USC won dat crucial Dbl’s pt. All they had to do win 3/6 single’s and did dat.

1. S. Han #33 (L) A.Noel #25, 2-6, 3-6. Surprising Snow is playing at the #1 spot, I figured she is #2 or #3, but I see C.Swain’s strategy playing her at #1.

2. E. Charney #22 (W) vs I.Pfenny #90, 6-2, 7-5

3. N. Cheong #42 (DNF) 3-6, 6-1, 4-3 was ahead and about to win her match.

4. G. Piper #66 (W) 6-3, 6-4. Another Solid win for Grace, she is so tuff mentally.

5. E. Cayetano, #83 (W) 6-0, 7-5. Maybe it’s unfair for the other players, but dis is the perfect position for Eyrn. She should do wll at #5 position. Xlent strategy by C.Swain.

6. L. Fairclough, Fr (L) 4-6, 2-6. Tuff loss for the freshman. I think the #6 position is a work in progress and C.Swain will tinker things around find the player dat will win matches and pts: Imogen Haddah, Fr, McKenna Koenig Jr, Parker Fry, Jr, Sloan Morra, Jr

The top 5 are solid players and the correct lineup.

USC #18 (W) Tennessee #17, 4-2.

Great win for our girls and beating the home team. Dat’s grinding out a win. No doubt our girls have A+ fighting spirit and tuff mental game as a team. They will go far with dat mindset and attitude.

Tennessee won dat crucial Dbl’s pt. Shoot USC had to win 4/6 single’s and did dat. Good thing da team is 10 deep with top players.

1. S. Han #33 (DNF) 2-6, 6-3, (5-5) 3rd set

2. E. Charney #22 (W) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3. Another solid win by our top player. Emma should climb to #12 to #15 next week’s rankings.

3. N. Cheong #42 (L) 6-4, 3-6 3-6. Tuff 3 sets loss for Naomi, maybe C.Swain should place Naomi at #5 spot.

4. E. Cayetano #83 (W) E.Tomase #115, 6-2, 6-3. Yay, Eryn is thriving at the #4 or #5 spot. Happy for Eryn winning her matches and contributing valuable pts to the team. A big Shaka to Eyrn! Eryn should climb the rankings to #75 to #72.

5. G. Piper #66 (W) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2. Grace pulled out a tuff 3 sets match. Grace is just so solid and mentally tuff. We are fortunate to have Grace play for USC. Grace should improve and climb the rankings next week, my quess #58 to #55.

6. Imogen Haddah, Fr (W) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4. A+ win for da freshman. IH closed out and pulled out 3 tuff sets match.. Dat shows she is a fighter and has an A+ mental game.

I think this should be the singles lineup.

1. Snow Han

2. Emma Charney

3. Grace Piper

4. Eryn Cayetano

5. Naomi Cheong

6. A work in progress: I. Haddah or L. Fairclough, McKenna Koenig, Parker Fry, Sloan Morra

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
2-3-24

Men’s tennis.

USC #7. 4-0 (W) vs UNLV, 5-2. Nice win for our boys. Still undefeated and will hold on to the #7 rankings.

Very good USC took the Dbl’s pt.

1. P. Makk (L) 6-2, 4-6, 6-10 (10 pt tie break set) 1st player reaching 10 pts wins da set. Peter loss a close 3 setter, a bit surprising.

2. L. Weststrate (W) 6-2, 6-2, another solid win for LW

3. V. Iakuabanko (W) 6-4, 6-2. Outstanding, VI is winning his matches and contributing pts. He’s a great addition to da team.

4. S. Rubell (W) 6-4, 3-6, (10-6) tie break set. Sam is just so solid, he continues winning his matches. Fight On SR…

5. K. Lee (W) 6-2, 6-1. Another fast and dominating win for Karl. KL is just so solid. Tuff player. UCLA lost out. Greatful for Karl transferring to USC. Great addition to da team.

6. N. Vallehaneni (L) 6-3, 1-6, (9-11) 10 pt tie break, tuff 3 sets loss for our 8th man.

Note: S. Dostanic #1 spot and O. Weightman (# 5 or #6 spot) did not play? Everyone had to move up in single's position. Nice job for da boy's filling in at higher spots.

** Ohio St #1 (W) crushed Virginia #3 nation, 7-0. Big redemption win for Ohio St. Virginia beat Ohio St. 4-0 last year, in da 2023 NCAA NC finals. Nice win for #1 Ohio St. It’s still early in da season. But, this was a big time match between 2 top 4 teams..

Women’s tennis.

USC #16 (L) U.San Diego #20, 3- 4. Tuff loss and mild upset.

U.SD took the da Dbl’s pt and dat was the ball game. Da team must win dat swing Dbl’s pt. If USC had won it, they win the match 4-3

1. S. Han #39 (L) 4-6, 6-4, 5-7. Tuff and close match. Snow gave it her all.

2. E. Charney #22 (L) 4-6, 4-6 to the #89 in nation, whoa 2 straight sets. Big upset and shocking loss for Emma. Emma was da PAC 12 player of da week, just last week. EC must regroup fast and figure out what happened..

3. N. Cheong #42, (L) 0-6, 2-6. Bad loss for Naomi, she got dominated. Back to da drawing board, Naomi must clean up her game. I would put NC at the #5 spot and place Grace at #3 position and move Eryn to #4.

4. G. Piper #66 (W) 7-5, 6-2. Another solid win for Grace. Shaka how she wins her matches and contribute pts. She fights for pts, very good at closing out her matches…

5. E. Cayetano, #83 (W) 6-1, 6-2. Yep #5 position is her spot. Kudos to C.Swain for placing Eryn at #5 where she is thriving and winning her matches.

6. L. Fairclough (W) 6-2, 6-4. Nice rebound win for da Australian freshman. There are 5 girls dat can play the #6 single's spot. I. Haddah, McKenna Koenig, Parker Fry, Sloan Morra.

Last edited:

Latest posts