USC & UCLA to B1G by 2024; conferences react; TV contracts thread

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
What The Fuck Wtf GIF

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
PSU has a fairly sizable alumni base in SoCal. Have to think that some other schools would want to make a jump also. If they could get Colorado/Utah, Arizona/Arizona State in the mix, then you could drive from the East Coast to the West Coast and be entirely in Big Ten Country.

Reactions: Nhfan and Hlstone

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
PSU has a fairly sizable alumni base in SoCal. Have to think that some other schools would want to make a jump also. If they could get Colorado/Utah, Arizona/Arizona State in the mix, then you could drive from the East Coast to the West Coast and be entirely in Big Ten Country.

At what point does a conference become a league?

PSUinSTL

Oct 12, 2021
This becomes 16 team conference. I see them going 20. I see 3 more PAC teams. Bets guesses Washington Oregon and pick one of 4 Stanford/cal/col/Utah. It would give 5 team grouping out west. Then go for best team East/Midwest. This would be Clemson if OSU or WVU. This would make great conference. This would allow Pods that rotate. 5 teams. You play your 4 pod mates yearly and then rotate through The other 3. For other sports you could do H-h with your pod and play the others to save travel.

Reactions: jyatybb

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
This becomes 16 team conference. I see them going 20. I see 3 more PAC teams. Bets guesses Washington Oregon and pick one of 4 Stanford/cal/col/Utah. It would give 5 team grouping out west. Then go for best team East/Midwest. This would be Clemson if OSU or WVU. This would make great conference. This would allow Pods that rotate. 5 teams. You play your 4 pod mates yearly and then rotate through The other 3. For other sports you could do H-h with your pod and play the others to save travel.

Are Oregon and Oregon State a package deal?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Hell, at this point, go for it. College football has already become a circus.

Yeah, not a big fan of super conferences. I think we’re at the max amount already. But, the B1G is wanting to keep pace with the SEC. This is as good a move IMO, and better academically, but don’t add anymore.

Also, wondering if UCLA has the autonomy to do what it wants since it’s part of the Cal system. Would think the state government folks there might have concerns.

PSUinSTL

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t think that matters anymore. We kept hearing OU\Osu (okie) we’re a package. It’s survival and $ will win out. With USC/UCLA on island I can’t imagine this is it. Though I could see BIG going east instead and allowing the pac to merge with BIG 12 to save rose bowl.

PSUinSTL

Oct 12, 2021
Also I expect to have the next round of expansion for B1G announced and official by early season. The TV rights is set to expire and the new one would be impacted by who is added. This was leaked. Why? Because the BIG is going after others and wants them willing to talk. The BIG is looking up make statement.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
1. Should change the conference name to The Big Infinity.
2. So, does this mean the Rose Bowl will pit the Big Infinity against the PAC less than 12?

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
So let's talk pros & cons:
PROS are academics line up, athletic commitments to Olympic sports line up and there would definitely be a huge revenue increase from TV rights.
Positive for recruiting
Positive for B1G baseball & softball as they can play early Spring schedule in SoCal with more favorable weather.
Basketball & Olympic sports like soccer, swimming/diving, volleyball, track, etc can lump multiple games on a east, west or midwest swing for a week @ a time.

CONS are scheduling, predominantly for football would be very challenging with constantly going across these major time zones during the season.
Other Con: I don't think USC & UCLA have ice hockey and wrestling teams.

Additional comments welcome.

WE ARE...PENN STATE!!!

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I, the Once-ler, felt sad
as I watched them all go.
BUT…
business is business!
And business must grow
regardless of crummies in tummies, you know.

I meant no harm. I most truly did not.
But I had to grow bigger. So bigger I got.
I biggered my factory. I biggered my roads.
I biggered my wagons. I biggered the loads
of the Thneeds I shipped out. I was shipping them forth
to the South! To the East! To the West! To the North!
I went right on biggering… selling more Thneeds.
And I biggered by money, which everyone needs.

To further this exercise in biggering stupidity, let's just keep expanding the conference size ... eventually, we'll have a single 125 team conference, and we'll rename it "The NCAA D1 FCS Conference in NCAA D1 FCS." It'll be awesome! We'll be so biggered!

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
I’d prefer to have the best school in a given state as opposed to taking two teams from a given state. Take USC, Washington, Oregon, and ASU and these teams can schedule OOC games with their in state rivals. Maybe USC and UCLA are a package deal though.

SoCalLion

Jun 23, 2022
I’d prefer to have the best school in a given state as opposed to taking two teams from a given state. Take USC, Washington, Oregon, and ASU and these teams can schedule OOC games with their in state rivals. Maybe USC and UCLA are a package deal though.

If anything, UCLA and UC-Berkeley (Cal) would be a package deal. Both of them being the two "big dogs" in the UC system.

USC & UCLA have no real formal ties - one of them is, of course, private and the other public.

Reactions: Got GSPs

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Let's not forget what got the ball rolling for everything we're seeing today was Penn State joining the Big 10.
They should have let Joe join the Big East when he wanted to. It would not have been as big of a deal. But, they forced his hand to join the Big Ten, and there are at least two programs who got the short end of the stick on that.

So....FU Syracuse and Pitt. FU to hell.

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
Yeah, not a big fan of super conferences. I think we’re at the max amount already. But, the B1G is wanting to keep pace with the SEC. This is as good a move IMO, and better academically, but don’t add anymore.

Also, wondering if UCLA has the autonomy to do what it wants since it’s part of the Cal system. Would think the state government folks there might have concerns.
State Government folks will be fine when they see how much money the move will bring to UCLA with the new TV deal coming for the BIG.

Reactions: WestSideLion

Latest posts