USC & UCLA to B1G by 2024; conferences react; TV contracts thread

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Curious as to how much of this Lincoln Riley knew about; part of his issue with Oklahoma was he didn’t want anything to do with the SEC. He can certainly get a better roster at SC, but OSU is the Bama of the B1G. So much for an easy PAC 12 championship bid.

I'm guessing zero.

His offense on a cold November road trip? Not going to be good.

He's never had a good defense. Call it recruiting harder for the O, or a finesse philosophy, but going to USC doesn't fix that either.

At least he got his money and 2 seasons to get the Trojans in the playoff.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
So once the TV contract is signed it will mean 16 teams raking in 105 million per year from TV money. New stadium in the wings???

• Love
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

PSUwolf

Oct 29, 2021
Now let’s kick out Rutgers and Maryland. 😁🤣 make room for two more Pac12 teams.
The reason that Rutgers and Maryland were accepted into the B1G is because it brought the TV markets of New Jersey, NYC, Baltimore, and D.C. into the B1G footprint. No way the conference wants to lose those HUGE TV money markets

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Think Herbie thoughts are right on this ... as he said tonight "I don't think realignment is close to done yet." He said like it or not college football is headed to 2 conferences the SEC and Big 10 with a East, Midwest and West divisions. Very similar setup to the NFL. Think NFC and AFC divisions in both the SEC and Big10. Traditionalists can kick and scream all they want but $$$$ drives the boat. Sad to say there will be many schools left out of the conferences looking in ... Headed towards the haves and have not.....

Reactions: WestSideLion

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
The reason that Rutgers and Maryland were accepted into the B1G is because it brought the TV markets of New Jersey, NYC, Baltimore, and D.C. into the B1G footprint. No way the conference wants to lose those HUGE TV money markets
Well of course not. The markets make sense, but RU and UMD suck!

Reactions: BobPSU92

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Think Herbie thoughts are right on this ... as he said tonight "I don't think realignment is close to done yet." He said like it or not college football is headed to 2 conferences the SEC and Big 10 with a East, Midwest and West divisions. Very similar setup to the NFL. Think NFC and AFC divisions in both the SEC and Big10. Traditionalists can kick and scream all they want but $$$$ drives the boat. Sad to say there will be many schools left out of the conferences looking in ... Headed towards the haves and have not.....

And the same people cheering this money grab on will be the same ones crying that college sports is dead because athletes are making some money now.

And if the NCAA announced that schools could sign prospective athletes to binding letters of intent in utero, they'd cheer that as being beneficial for the coaches to plan out their recruiting classes.

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021
So once the TV contract is signed it will mean 16 teams raking in 105 million per year from TV money. New stadium in the wings???

Museums for everyone!

Oct 31, 2021
Wow, that is absolutely devastating for the Pac 12! Two original members of the conference with rivalries going back decades are out. It would be like Ohio State and Michigan leaving the Big Ten. I can't see these two schools being on an island on the other side of the country from the rest of the conference. Maybe Oregon and Washington are next? Some of the schools in the Pac 12 will end up very disappointed.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
If two, I'd like Oregon and Stanford.

I don't think the economics work there. I think the most likely scenario to happen in the next year (before the Big Ten signs a new media deal) is... nothing. Big Ten stays at 16.

But I think if they add anyone, the following are the only likely scenarios:
1. Washington and Oregon (probably borderline in terms of revenue but plausible)
2. Stanford and Notre Dame (the favored thing for the Big Ten; would be the only way that Stanford makes sense because Notre Dame is the big get)
3. all of Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame

Sorry Arizona schools, Colorado, Cal, Utah... you are all out of luck. Maybe talk to the Big 12 schools?

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021

According to Jim Delaney :)
In actuality, Rutgers brought 0 market (that was painfully obvious at the time, and the numbers through the first 7 years tell the tale)

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
13 AAU schools that have sports/football

GT - doubt it, let SEC snag

UNC/Duke - could become a race to see whether SEC or B1G gets first

Pitt -SOL

Missouri - nah

Kansas - nah

Colorado/Utah - don’t see much value. Colorado if Denver TV market is becoming pretty large. I did not look.

Oregon/Washington - Seattle market has value

U of Arizona - if this was ASU would say slam dunk. Since it isn’t.

Cal/Stanford - Stanford I could see more than Cal

Will be interesting. ND only non AAU school that would get invite IMO

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
13 AAU schools that have sports/football

GT - doubt it, let SEC snag

UNC/Duke - could become a race to see whether SEC or B1G gets first

Pitt -SOL

Missouri - nah

Kansas - nah

Colorado/Utah - don’t see much value. Colorado if Denver TV market is becoming pretty large. I did not look.

Oregon/Washington - Seattle market has value

U of Arizona - if this was ASU would say slam dunk. Since it isn’t.

Cal/Stanford - Stanford I could see more than Cal

Will be interesting. ND only non AAU school that would get invite IMO
You missed University of Virginia.

Reactions: Got GSPs

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
And the same people cheering this money grab on will be the same ones crying that college sports is dead because athletes are making some money now.

And if the NCAA announced that schools could sign prospective athletes to binding letters of intent in utero, they'd cheer that as being beneficial for the coaches to plan out their recruiting classes.
I’m not anti player getting paid, I’m anti no salary cap rich getting richer environ.

Reactions: Got GSPs

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I’m not anti player getting paid, I’m anti no salary cap rich getting richer environ.
Everything going on in college football (including this USC/UCLA to the Big Ten nonsense) over the past few decades has been about the rich getting richer... players getting paid is about the relative poor getting some money, and so many hate that.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Everything going on in college football (including this USC/UCLA to the Big Ten nonsense) over the past few decades has been about the rich getting richer... players getting paid is about the relative poor getting some money, and so many hate that.
Not me. But even you can’t argue the sweet purity of the college game is lost forever. I’m sad about this, even as the sneaky cheating was raging behind the curtain, it was still out of sight out of my mind. And with no salary cap, 98% of your poor black athletes are gonna stay poor.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Add four more to make it 20. Three more PAC teams and ND, or 4 more PAC teams (most likely Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Colorado). Have four 5 team divisions in the BIG (East: OSU, PSU, MD, Rut, and Indy; Mid East: Mich, Mich State, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota; Mid West: Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois; West: UCLA, USC, Washington, Oregon, Utah). Play division teams and rotating other division for 9 BIG games per year. Winner of West play winner of Mid West while winner of East plays winner of Mid East. Winners then play in conference championship.