USWNT Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The next women's World Cup is in 2023, so it's too early for a thread on qualifying on that. Most (not all) of the core members of the team of recent years are getting toward the end of their careers. In that context, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread that loosely follows the team on different matches they play, as well as on the ongoing reformation of the roster.

Reactions: Tgar

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Some interesting decisions on the roster. Several injuries impacted the roster, including Catarina Macario's torn ACL. Still, this is a transitional squad. Nice to see PSUer Sam Coffey on the roster, even if just an alternative.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Some interesting decisions on the roster. Several injuries impacted the roster, including Catarina Macario's torn ACL. Still, this is a transitional squad. Nice to see PSUer Sam Coffey on the roster, even if just an alternative.

This seems curious…..

Christen Press also was not named. She sustained a knee injury with club side Angel City last weekend, later confirming that she had suffered a torn ACL, but Andonovski said she would not have been included even if she was healthy.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This seems curious…..

"Christen Press also was not named. She sustained a knee injury with club side Angel City last weekend, later confirming that she had suffered a torn ACL, but Andonovski said she would not have been included even if she was healthy."

That seems like an unnecessary comment by Andonovski, but perhaps he was simply responding to a question (which he could have left unanswered).

Press is talented, so it's surprising. As they are building for 2023 and 2024, perhaps it has to do with age. She's currently 33. Let's look at the age of the forwards that are on the team:

Sophia Smith - 21
Trinity Rodman - 20
Megan Rapinoe - 35
Margaret Purce - 26
Mallory Pugh - 24
Alex Morgan - 32
Ashley Hatch - 27

I also found this, at:

"Andonovski later said that Press’ top priority for inclusion on future USWNT rosters is good health. Then, it comes down to how she compares to other forwards on the team’s stacked depth chart. Before the Olympics last summer, Press had been on a tear with the USWNT, heavily contributing to the team’s goal-scoring opportunities. The two-time World Cup champion is ninth on the team’s all-time scoring list, with 64 goals in 155 caps since 2013.

“I think that she is performing well, but it’s not just her,” Andonovski said. “For Christen to be back on the field, it’s not just to do well or perform well in her club environment. It’s also outperform the players that she’s competing against … like Mal Pugh and Sophia Smith and Alex Morgan, Ashley Hatch, Trinity Rodman. It’s not easy to be a forward in the United States right now. Obviously it’s great, but it’s not easy because the competition just got bigger and bigger.”

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
That seems like an unnecessary comment by Andonovski, but perhaps he was simply responding to a question (which he could have left unanswered).

Press is talented, so it's surprising. As they are building for 2023 and 2024, perhaps it has to do with age. She's currently 33. Let's look at the age of the forwards that are on the team:

Sophia Smith - 21
Trinity Rodman - 20
Megan Rapinoe - 35
Margaret Purce - 26
Mallory Pugh - 24
Alex Morgan - 32
Ashley Hatch - 27

Apparently this decision was made before this weekend’s injury. Who are you taking, Rapinoe or Press?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Apparently this decision was made before this weekend’s injury. Who are you taking, Rapinoe or Press?

Based on performance over the past year, Press.

But I don't think it's a Press vs. Rapinoe decision. Press plays striker. Rapinoe plays outside middie.

Perhaps Andonovski didn't want two strikers in their 30s.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Interesting to watch the USWNT tonight in a match against Colombia. Between injuries and pregnancies, the roster is quite different than the team that dominated in the past decade. The US dominated, but couldn't get on the board in the 1st half. The Colombia GK blocked a PK in the 1st half and again in the 2nd half. The USWNT finally got things rolling in the 2nd half, and ended up winning 3-0

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Former PSU player Raquel Rodriguez is also playing in the tournament, captaining Costa Rica. She scored in their opening win over Panama. They now play T&T in a key game where a win pretty much punches their ticket to the World Cup.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The USA wins the CONCACAF Championship with a 1-0 victory over Canada. The US dominated the play, but only scored on a PK by Alex Morgan (Rose Lavelle was taken down in the the box; call was legit, IMHO).

You know you're crazy when you watch a match on TUDN in Spanish. The English version was on Paramount+, which I was not signing up for just for this match.

By wining the match, the USWNT qualified for the Olympics:

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Foudy's concern is justified. I watched England and Germany in their respective Euro 2022 semis, and they both are talented.
And my concern is that they have gotten too old. I thought it would get them at the last world cup--but did not.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
We took our daughter to the Gothem FC vs. Houston game last evening in Newark. It was my first women's professional soccer game. The speed they play at is particularly impressive. I would definitely recommend for anyone thinking about checking a game out.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
We took our daughter to the Gothem FC vs. Houston game last evening in Newark. It was my first women's professional soccer game. The speed they play at is particularly impressive. I would definitely recommend for anyone thinking about checking a game out.
Soccer is always better live.

Reactions: PSUJam

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Julie Ertz was missed in the midfield during the USWNT qualifying games this year. She was off the roster due to her being pregnant. It appears that she had a baby boy a few days ago. Only time will tell if she elects to attempt to make the roster in 2023.