Van Ness out for year per Cael

Michnit

Nov 1, 2021
Well that’s a bummer, but injuries are a part of most sports & especially wrestling

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Sad Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

damn. just damn. I really don't know anything else to say. hope he heals up.

BIG10MANIAC

Jan 1, 2023
will he be able to get a medical redshirt and get his year of eligibility back? Hope he heals up quickly...

Reactions: Got GSPs

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
will he be able to get a medical redshirt and get his year of eligibility back? Hope he heals up quickly...

one would presume, though there isn't much info being released by PSU.

SVN redshirted in the 2021-22 season. He was a redshirt freshman in the 2022-23 season, when he finished 3rd at NCAAs.

I believe that what we've known for years as medical redshirts are now called "Hardship" or "Hardship Waiver." The basic rules for if an athlete qualifies for a Hardship Waiver are:

1. the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and
2. the athlete must have competed in less than 30% of the season

Based on that, it appears that SVN would qualify for a Hardship Waiver. But an athlete/school needs to document the injury, and submit a form requesting the waiver, which I believe is reviewed/approved by both the conference and the NCAA.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Charles Brown

Jan 5, 2022
tough to take, SVN was going to do great things this season. Hopefully he recovers fully from this injury, next man up!

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Ouch! I am Not a guy that counts the chickens before they're hatched but it would have been fun to see the number of individual champs, AA's, total team points at NCAA's, etc. SVN was one of my favorite guys to watch and will miss his contribution and style in the lineup this year.

I'm thinking that Tyler Kasak goes in his place, like he did Sunday. If so, per the roster he's 'from Doylestown, Pa., and Bethlehem Catholic High School...He brings multiple state medals, including a Pennsylvania state title, with him from BCHS.' Next man up! Let's go!

Reactions: tzinger

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
This cut from the Daily Collegian: ->
Kasak’s debut showed an extra-competitive match, as it ended 7-5 after he held on late for the victory. Kasak came into the season weighing at 141, but moved up to 149 in order to replace No. 2 Shayne Van Ness in the lineup.
“He’s a competitor,” Sanderson said. “[Kasak] has got a lot of experience, he's just a hard-nosed Pennsylvania kid that wrestled at a high level so he was ready to fill in there.”

I'm reading through some background and came to the realization that SVN is OUT for the year and I'm talking to myself with a griping/ grumbling attitude, my wife walks into the room and asks what's wrong. She see's again that I'm 'on the wrestling boards' and realizes it's not an 'emergency' to worry about and she leaves me, brooding. Next man up!

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Ouch! I am Not a guy that counts the chickens before they're hatched but it would have been fun to see the number of individual champs, AA's, total team points at NCAA's, etc. SVN was one of my favorite guys to watch and will miss his contribution and style in the lineup this year.

I'm thinking that Tyler Kasak goes in his place, like he did Sunday. If so, per the roster he's 'from Doylestown, Pa., and Bethlehem Catholic High School...He brings multiple state medals, including a Pennsylvania state title, with him from BCHS.' Next man up! Let's go!
Kasak was also a U17 World freestyle Silver medalist in Rome in 2022.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Wow. Our 2 transfers gotta step up big time and everyone possible needs to go for pins and bonus. Feel horrible for SVN who was wrestling great. Good luck with your rehab Shane!

Reactions: SurgeOne

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I don't really think it changes anything except the team point record at nationals is safe

Reactions: LB99

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Penn State just released its match notes. Kasak is only Lion listed at 149 in the probable starters for Hofstra section.

Reactions: Sloepoke20 and LB99

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Some sleuth maybe could investigate if Austin Gomez is in the portal? Lots of rumors floating around that PS is interested, but you know rumors.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Some sleuth maybe could investigate if Austin Gomez is in the portal? Lots of rumors floating around that PS is interested, but you know rumors.
He was in the portal, not sure if he still is.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

He was in the portal, not sure if he still is.

he entered the portal in Oct. I believe it's kind of complicated, in that he'd have to apply for, and be granted, a Hardship Waiver (medical wavier) to be eligible to wrestle.

I think we was/is working out at the Michigan RTC. And wasn't there also a report that he was a going to be an assistant coach or something like that? (I can't remember the details)

fp

May 6, 2022
he entered the portal in Oct. I believe it's kind of complicated, in that he'd have to apply for, and be granted, a Hardship Waiver (medical wavier) to be eligible to wrestle.

I think we was/is working out at the Michigan RTC. And wasn't there also a report that he was a going to be an assistant coach or something like that? (I can't remember the details)
:sneaky: