Washington

HawkinAZ

Sophomore
Aug 23, 2008
81
123
33
Many people keep saying this but the fact remains that history has nothing to do with this Friday.
I think a big part of this is the game starts at 8pm Iowa time and will likely end around 11pm Iowa time. I assume as Iowa practices in the morning that many players are in bed before 11pm. I think this has a significant impact on their athletic ability.
 

Lionhawk85

Senior
Jun 8, 2022
201
469
63
going out west is never good for iowa...
Was driving home with my son after being at the OSU game/loss. Gave him the history education of what happens to Iowa when we go out west - saw the historical scores and goes “oh boy…”

Hoping the team can buck history and get the ship back on track this Friday! But definitely has a “I’ll believe it when I see it” feeling for me. Short week. Trip out west. Banged up team. Running game (and run defense for that matter) is MIA.
 

eyesofhawk

All-Conference
Apr 17, 2011
3,520
3,382
113
They also had 7 sacks. Pressure helps, Iowa's D-Line doesn't provide it.
Not necessarily.

Iowa just sacked OSU 4 times.

Chose not to pressure Underwood, as his legs were too dangerous.

That being said, Iowa may try to keep Williams in the pocket, as he can also be a dangerous runner.

But that will give the Hawks advantages elsewhere.

There are different ways to win. And it's nowhere near time to start questioning Iowa's defense
 

Hawk1988

All-Conference
Sep 13, 2016
1,775
2,597
156
Things didn't quite work out yesterday.
Things have been minutely dissected.
What's done is done.
With that said, does anyone care to move on to the Washington game?
Mobile qb and will complete passes because this D cannot cover a tree stump. Huskie D looks tough, so not going to score unless go back to the tipped ball completions. Friday night and long road trip, ole KF doesn't like those things. Plus, coming off a compelte *** kicking by OhioSt, and embarrassed in front the country and the Game Day dorks. Not looking good.
 

eyesofhawk

All-Conference
Apr 17, 2011
3,520
3,382
113
Mobile qb and will complete passes because this D cannot cover a tree stump. Huskie D looks tough, so not going to score unless go back to the tipped ball completions. Friday night and long road trip, ole KF doesn't like those things. Plus, coming off a compelte *** kicking by OhioSt, and embarrassed in front the country and the Game Day dorks. Not looking good.
I can promise you no one who got on the field for Iowa Saturday felt embarrassed
 

Jonesy5960

Heisman
Feb 1, 2023
6,601
13,626
113
This is not a great Washington team that struggled to beat a bad Utah State team at home, and lost to Minnie at home as well. They won't look anything like the team that Iowa lost to this past weekend. However, they played USC tough this weekend and Iowa sucks on the West coast. It's a toss up in my mind as the line suggests.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BroncHawk

BigOHawk1

All-Conference
Oct 27, 2001
550
1,041
93
Iowa will finally vanquish this west coast BS this weekend with Heck at the helm IMO. I think the OL will come out playing angry after seeing two monster DL's the past few weeks and more holes will be there. Not sure of Wash's run D but I think Iowa will have success there which of course will setup the pass.

There were a lot of open receivers in the game Sat vs OSU that were missed...if Heck can hit a few of those it's all the difference in the world. Gotta empty the tank here, get to 5-1 at the bye break (much needed) and everything is in front of you, including maybe a ranked NW, Minn and Nebr...
 

DukeSlater

All-American
Jul 2, 2023
2,218
5,003
113
I think a big part of this is the game starts at 8pm Iowa time and will likely end around 11pm Iowa time. I assume as Iowa practices in the morning that many players are in bed before 11pm. I think this has a significant impact on their athletic ability.
Maybe they should move practice to 7 or 8 pm Iowa time this week. It would make sense. But I'm not at all convinced that KF has that degree of adaptability in him. And the other coaches, including Lester and Parker, apparently have no influence or choose not to use it. But there's no debating something needs to change about how Iowa approaches the West Coast. They did take a 21-7 lead over USC at the half last year, only to be shut out in the second half in another close defeat.

Washington played poorly in their most recent visit to Iowa City. The Hawkeyes need to do whatever it takes to make sure they don't return the favor.
 

DukeSlater

All-American
Jul 2, 2023
2,218
5,003
113
L.J Phillips was back in action last weekend and to me, looked the best of all the RBs. He might be the difference maker this season for the running game and the offense.
Only if they give him the ball. Anybody who rushes for nearly 2,000 yards at any level must have some talent. I'd love to see LJ get at least 20 carries Friday night.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Iron Doc

DukeSlater

All-American
Jul 2, 2023
2,218
5,003
113
They also had 7 sacks. Pressure helps, Iowa's D-Line doesn't provide it.
Which is why Phil needs to pick his spots and blitz more often. And by blitz I mean use a variety of blitz packages, not just send the house. Blitz a corner, blitz a LB, do what Hayden did and use a quick, fast guy at DE--maybe one of the Dbacks. Just like with the offense, sometimes you have to adjust to the personnel you have . . . or don't have. Phil's been great, but he hasn't been perfect, and I think his No. 1 fault is--like his boss--being TOO conservative. No QB is very good when they're running for their life. And almost every QB looks like a Hall of Famer when they can sit back there all day and wait for people to get open.
 

eyesofhawk

All-Conference
Apr 17, 2011
3,520
3,382
113
This is not a great Washington team that struggled to beat a bad Utah State team at home, and lost to Minnie at home as well. They won't look anything like the team that Iowa lost to this past weekend. However, they played USC tough this weekend and Iowa sucks on the West coast. It's a toss up in my mind as the line suggests.
The line suggests Wash is a 2.5 point favorite
 

Iron Doc

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2005
910
1,303
93
Iowa will finally vanquish this west coast BS this weekend with Heck at the helm IMO. I think the OL will come out playing angry after seeing two monster DL's the past few weeks and more holes will be there. Not sure of Wash's run D but I think Iowa will have success there which of course will setup the pass.

There were a lot of open receivers in the game Sat vs OSU that were missed...if Heck can hit a few of those it's all the difference in the world. Gotta empty the tank here, get to 5-1 at the bye break (much needed) and everything is in front of you, including maybe a ranked NW, Minn and Nebr...
Definitely want to see Heck rain destruction on the enemy out West.
 
Oct 12, 2025
199
289
63
We have probably the worst D Line in the conference. Unreal that this wasn’t addressed in the portal. We won’t be able to pressure Williams. O Line can’t run block which is a shocking disappointment.

pair this with probably worst QB in the conference and west coast trip I’m not feeling good. Hopefully I’m wrong but I just don’t see a W
 

WeBeHerkin

All-American
Aug 5, 2016
5,165
5,857
113
We have probably the worst D Line in the conference. Unreal that this wasn’t addressed in the portal. We won’t be able to pressure Williams. O Line can’t run block which is a shocking disappointment.

pair this with probably worst QB in the conference and west coast trip I’m not feeling good. Hopefully I’m wrong but I just don’t see a W
They need to play Joseph Anderson more.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Iron Doc

BigOHawk1

All-Conference
Oct 27, 2001
550
1,041
93
We have probably the worst D Line in the conference. Unreal that this wasn’t addressed in the portal. We won’t be able to pressure Williams. O Line can’t run block which is a shocking disappointment.

pair this with probably worst QB in the conference and west coast trip I’m not feeling good. Hopefully I’m wrong but I just don’t see a W
What we woudn't give for Hurkett and Mad Max right now...I know we tried in the portal and weren't willing to spend big bucks on a P5 DE, yet we rolled the dice on the young pups on DL maturing fast...let's take stock in Nov. yet we need more pressure with front 4 w/out blitzing...need more pressure obviously on Wash this weekend, what a massive, massive game for Iowa.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Football The Chuck Long Podcast
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Recruiting Following the future
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football Thoughts on Iowa football...and basketball
  4. 04 High School Football Iowa RB commit Keyon Thomas runs wild in Warren Central (Ind.) win
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Olympics Iowa Soccer earns a much-needed 1-0 win over Rutgers