Watching the original Dallas(1978-1991)

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
This show ran a little before my time, but have heard about it for years from friends and relatives, my observations though:

1) Jock Ewing was the man!
2) What will JR come up with next, and who gets the next verbal barb shot at them.
3) That pool has hosted more fights than the MGM grand in Las Vegas
4) was Cliff Barnes really that obnoxious
5) seriously they must've single handedly kept the alcohol industry in business, when do you not see a main character with a drink in their hands
6) Pam may have been petite but she packs one hell of a slap
7) Ms. Ellie, nice lady, but don't think you're gonna run over her
8) Bobby's first punch in fight will always be an undercut to the gut
9) Lucy's a real smart-@$$, verbal jabs almost as good as JR's
10) Sue Ellen, seriously, put the bottle down

They don't make 'em like this anymore, the acting is spot on, the storylines are well written also.

Anyone else notice that you don't see good old fashioned drag out bar fights like that on tv or in the movies anymore.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Welll you are just going to love this......

Brianna Behm(pronounced beam) who is a sophomore on the Women’s soccer team and a probable starter next year. Just so happens that her

Great grandpa, Joseph C. Behm, was a movie producer in the 1930s and 1940s producing the Manchurian Candidate starring Frank Sinatra...

Grandpa, John Behm, produced the original Wonder Woman movie and the television series Dallas..

Last edited:
Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Over the past few years, I've watched reruns of Naked City, which ran on ABC in the late 50s-early 60s. Dallas was during my time, but not Naked City. It too was well written with good storylines. Can't provide a rundown like Wildthing did for Dallas (oddly enough, its popularity and the hype surrounding "Who Shot JR" was a turnoff for me). But I do appreciate Widthing's assessment of Dallas.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
My wife and I have been watching a lot of the 1980s Magnum PI and Columbo shows. Both are great and I've found a new appreciation for them. The Magnum shows have aged a lot better than most 80s programs. I guess so much of it was exotic (Hawaii location, sprawling estate, the Ferrari, a friend that owns a helicopter, etc) that the factors that made it cool in the 80s remain cool today.

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022
Watching Dallas was a must see in the 80s for me.I loved the theme song.If I’m not mistaken,they came up with the 1st ever cliffhanger “who shot jr?”

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
My wife and I went to Southfork one time. Nice place but the house isn't nearly as big as it appears in the opening. Wide-angle lens, I suppose. My wife was addicted to the show, absolutely addicted.
One mistake the producers made was bringing in Donna Reed to play Miss Ellie while Barbara Bel Geddes recovered from a heart attack. I loved Donna Reed, but substituting anyone for a key character never quite works out, in my opinion. It just reminds people of who is missing. Better to alter the plot.

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
Gotta have that shot of Cowboys stadium in the opener though. Used to be "the house of Landry" in the original, now in the reboot it's just "jerryworld".

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
My wife and I went to Southfork one time. Nice place but the house isn't nearly as big as it appears in the opening. Wide-angle lens, I suppose. My wife was addicted to the show, absolutely addicted.
One mistake the producers made was bringing in Donna Reed to play Miss Ellie while Barbara Bel Geddes recovered from a heart attack. I loved Donna Reed, but substituting anyone for a key character never quite works out, in my opinion. It just reminds people of who is missing. Better to alter the plot.
The only TV series I can think of off the top of my head where that worked was when Dick York was too ill to continue in Bewitched and they brought in Dick Sargent to play Darrin.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
The only TV series I can think of off the top of my head where that worked was when Dick York was too ill to continue in Bewitched and they brought in Dick Sargent to play Darrin.
It didn't kill the show because fans were devoted to Samantha. But to me, it was always York's role. I understand what they did. You couldn't make Samantha into a young widow.

Reactions: atl-cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It didn't kill the show because fans were devoted to Samantha. But to me, it was always York's role. I understand what they did. You couldn't make Samantha into a young widow.
Or have her marry another mortal.

Sparklecity

Jan 20, 2022
My best friends house growing up was the exact Floorplan to Southfork. You couldn't go in a room without thinking of a scene from Dallas. lol

Reactions: KingWard

Latest posts