Waze or Google maps

Nov 1, 2021
Waze is my preference. Google maps seems to have been getting better over the years though. I’m just a creature of habit

rem524

Oct 28, 2021
I went to Waze early on because of the notifications from other drivers (police ahead, accidents) and have never had any reason to go back to Google Maps. Waze will sometimes take you on some "interesting" routes (in the interest of saving time). You know you aren't the only car following Waze when you see 5 cars ahead of you making all the same turns.
Generally speaking, Waze does a great job. I use it even when I know exactly where I'm going to let it pick the "best" route at that time - and no, it's not because I forget where I am going. ;-)

kijanalives

Feb 18, 2022
Was Waze, now Google Maps.
Waze uses too much ancillary bandwidth and battery life, and the real-time info is now inherent in most navigation apps. Waxe also seems to interfere with my other streaming services, like Apple CarPlay and Spotify, GM is seamless. One final note: Waze gets its data updates from, you guessed it, Google.

Thorndike2021

Oct 12, 2021
Waze! I had to go to a meeting in Baltimore several months ago. I knew where I was going but had Waze on to see where the police were, etc. Soon after making my way onto 695 Waze had me get off on an exit I had never used before. I trust it, so I did as instructed. Waze took me through neighborhoods, people's back yards, etc. and eventually all the way to my meeting. Once there I learned that half the people were going to be late because they were stuck in a post-accident mess on 695.

Waze knew...

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Since Google bought Waze, is there much difference?

I use Google maps, but all the features from Waze....alternate routes due to traffic, user reportable incidents....are now part of Google maps.

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
I tried Waze briefly…thought it was TOO much information and rerouting. I prefer the app intrinsic to iPhone over Google….recently, it has very accurately predicted “Speed check reported ahead “.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I tried Waze briefly…thought it was TOO much information and rerouting. I prefer the app intrinsic to iPhone over Google….recently, it has very accurately predicted “Speed check reported ahead “.
Heard that in my drive to and from MN for the time last week. Proved to be very helpful.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Waze. I only use it on long trips. It is true that it kills the battery but I plug my phone in. Also, you can change the voice and accents on waze. I don't do much of that but find it amusing. The last time I did it was something like "Dad Jokes". At one point is said "I used to be afraid of speed bumps but I am slowly getting over them."

Reactions: jp3272

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Was Waze, now Google Maps.
Waze uses too much ancillary bandwidth and battery life, and the real-time info is now inherent in most navigation apps. Waxe also seems to interfere with my other streaming services, like Apple CarPlay and Spotify, GM is seamless. One final note: Waze gets its data updates from, you guessed it, Google.

Same. And it will risk very indirect routes (such as having to make a left across a two lane road with no stop sign/light) if under perfect conditions it will save you three seconds. I do Google Maps and that is also what I have as factory navigation in my Volvo.

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
Use em both -
Can be frustrating because I think sometimes they outsmart themselves.
Waze uses a ton of bandwidth.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Waze has saved me a ton of time on the road by taking me off the highway before coming upon an accident and putting me right back on after it.

Waze has also tried to get me killed by taking me through some dangerous spots to save 5 minutes.

So, gotta take the good with the bad.

Reactions: bbrown

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Google, tried Waze, didn't like it but I don't remember why. I drive around 2000 miles a week.

PSURam

Nov 1, 2021
Both similar but Waze is the one that tells you where the cops are, so I use Waze

Split T

Oct 8, 2021
Thanks for all your comments. I'll be going on a 3-day trip and I'll try both.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I wonder which app they used?

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I find that Waze does a better job of choosing the most efficient route and can adapt to traffic better in real time. Like @wbcbus said, if there is an accident, it typically detects it quickly and will route you off the highway and around it.