'We thought we could beat anybody in the country': How USC won the 1997 SEC title

butchrobbins

Joined Jan 8, 2004
Jan 31, 2022
How did he win with SC talent? Anyone that reads this board knows SC has never had any meaningful BB talent. I mean, IF the NBA didn't take Garnett and O'Neil right out of high school what might have happened? Fogler might still be sitting on that bench lol.

Reactions: York cock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Anchors away!!
That was terrible but we weren't as good as our ranking indicated anyway. We barely got by UPC the next week and got waxed by LSU [EDIT: Oklahoma State] in the bowl. There was no excuse for losing to Coppin State and they even handled us the whole ballgame.

Last edited:
Reactions: York cock

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
That was terrible but we weren't as good as our ranking indicated anyway. We barely got by UPC the next week and got waxed by LSU in the bowl. There was no excuse for losing to Coppin State and they even handled us the whole ballgame.
Wrong. Lost on a 11th hour TD to Oklahoma State who arguably had their best team in school history.

Beat Navy & Tillman….at least go to the Orange Bowl with a chance to win it & claim the whole ball of wax.

funktavious

Joined Mar 20, 2002
Jan 31, 2022
How did he win with SC talent? Anyone that reads this board knows SC has never had any meaningful BB talent. I mean, IF the NBA didn't take Garnett and O'Neil right out of high school what might have happened? Fogler might still be sitting on that bench lol.
3 guard offense and we had 3 very good guards that year. Melvin Watkins was probably my favorite USC PG of all-time. BJ was a McDonalds all-American and Davis was another highly rated player coming out of high school who initially signed with UNC before transferring back to USC. I think he was from out of Denmark.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Wrong. Lost on a 11th hour TD to Oklahoma State who arguably had their best team in school history.

Beat Navy & Tillman….at least go to the Orange Bowl with a chance to win it & claim the whole ball of wax.
Right. Had my years mixed up. But Oklahoma State really controlled all but one quarter of that game. Hilger at QB I believe. We weren't national championship caliber.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
That was terrible but we weren't as good as our ranking indicated anyway. We barely got by UPC the next week and got waxed by LSU [EDIT: Oklahoma State] in the bowl. There was no excuse for losing to Coppin State and they even handled us the whole ballgame.
Yes we should’ve beat Coppin State. No doubt. But that team was also severely under seeded as they came very close to reaching the Sweet 16. They had some players and “Fang” Mitchell was a respected coach. At the time we were only the 2nd 2 seed to lose. Thankfully that has become far more common today so we aren’t reminded of it too often. We never got going that game and it hurt. But we knew what we were capable of…High ceiling and a low floor. We got drilled by UGA in the SEC Tournament in the previous game. Sounds like we reverted back to our old selves that lost to a couple of cupcakes early on.

The loss to Richmond the following year was also embarrassing. I believe we were a 3 seed and we had every reason to come out and make a statement. We couldn’t. I know people weren’t crazy about Fogler, but I do wonder if we just won in the first round each of those, how things might have been different. He could coach. He won the SEC at SC and Vandy…and we were far worse when he took over than we are today. He brought in some good players a couple of years later…but just didn’t have enough around them. Maybe if we didn’t **** our pants in the NCAA two years in a row we could’ve kept some guys around.

Reactions: DrMickeySC

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Yes we should’ve beat Coppin State. No doubt. But that team was also severely under seeded as they came very close to reaching the Sweet 16. They had some players and “Fang” Mitchell was a respected coach. At the time we were only the 2nd 2 seed to lose. Thankfully that has become far more common today so we aren’t reminded of it too often. We never got going that game and it hurt. But we knew what we were capable of…High ceiling and a low floor. We got drilled by UGA in the SEC Tournament in the previous game. Sounds like we reverted back to our old selves that lost to a couple of cupcakes early on.

The loss to Richmond the following year was also embarrassing. I believe we were a 3 seed and we had every reason to come out and make a statement. We couldn’t. I know people weren’t crazy about Fogler, but I do wonder if we just won in the first round each of those, how things might have been different. He could coach. He won the SEC at SC and Vandy…and we were far worse when he took over than we are today. He brought in some good players a couple of years later…but just didn’t have enough around them. Maybe if we didn’t **** our pants in the NCAA two years in a row we could’ve kept some guys around.
We weren’t the 2nd 2 seed to lose. We were the 3rd.

Reactions: Fried Chicken

Begonenow

Joined Mar 23, 2009
Jan 25, 2022
It’s a shame that such a wonderful season is so painful to remember.
It is a repeatable theme. We had a good football team that poops the bed against Navy. Could have won a natty. Final four basketball team whose best leader gets the flu, or else we could have won a natty. We have had some teams that could have brought us national prominence, but for some reason, couldn’t. Chicken curse. I’ll have to say that three year baseball run broke the curse for a minute.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
It is a repeatable theme. We had a good football team that poops the bed against Navy. Could have won a natty. Final four basketball team whose best leader gets the flu, or else we could have won a natty. We have had some teams that could have brought us national prominence, but for some reason, couldn’t. Chicken curse. I’ll have to say that three year baseball run broke the curse for a minute.
If we ever win it, it will be a National Championship.

Legendary Cock

Joined Aug 6, 2014
Jan 22, 2022
While that loss was as embarrassing as Stoney Brook and Wyoming et al, those at least have the somewhat excuse of being early season losses.

We had a 15-1 conference championship season that was clinched at Rupp Arena -- on Senior Day, of all days. To lose to such a nobody team as a 2nd seed when we knew what was on the line was the mother of all gut punches.

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
While that loss was as embarrassing as Stoney Brook and Wyoming et al, those at least have the somewhat excuse of being early season losses.

We had a 15-1 conference championship season that was clinched at Rupp Arena -- on Senior Day, of all days. To lose to such a nobody team as a 2nd seed when we knew what was on the line was the mother of all gut punches.
I don’t discount your analysis 1 bit but please consider this……
We lost to a hat

Whythis28

Joined Jun 22, 2006
Jan 31, 2022
I still don't know why we couldn't have made it work with Eddie Fogler. I mean a legitimate disciple of Dean Smith. The man coached Michael Jordan. Smh

Like he said, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
I still don't know why we couldn't have made it work with Eddie Fogler. I mean a legitimate disciple of Dean Smith. The man coached Michael Jordan. Smh

Like he said, damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Fogler could coach, but the man openly abhorred recruiting.

Reactions: Whythis28

Latest posts