What are your current and future Offensive and Defensive thoughts?

Oct 27, 2021
What are some of your general thoughts of our offense and defense from Saturday's game, and future of them both? Below is what initially comes to mind for me, but interested in hearing what everyone else has to say!

Offense:

I feel like Clifford has regressed over the past couple of years. Not sure if this is due to changes in OC or not working on his craft. Whatever it may be, he just doesn't have the "IT" athleticism that could have taken this team to another level. I hope Yurcich is working with the next "future" QB (whoever that may be). I think he needs the QB to understand his system and build and grow together.

What happened to the Lawn Boys? Under 50 yards rushing is not good. I think we have talent at the RB position, but we need a star. OL does not help this issue either. However, it would be nice to have a RB that can make plays... big plays.

Dotson has stepped up over the past couple years, but man, Parker Washington played a heck of game. Very consistent and definitely took the load off of Dotson. He is definitely our next man up at WR.

I am a fan of our Tight Ends. Down field blocking looked amazing. The set in which Yurcich had these big boys split out and dumped underneath was a site to see. They were bullying DB's to the ground. This group is young and will continue to be a large part of Yurcich's scheme.

At times our offensive line provided Clifford with some great protection. Sean's pocket presence and going through WR reads has become very poor. However, OL needs some help.

Defense

There was one player that stood out to me, and maybe it was just me... but #23 Curtis Jacobs was an absolute ANIMAL on the field. This kid will be our next breakout defensive star. He was intense, sacrifices himself, and finds the play. This kid has potential to be a great.

I think our DL played well. In my opinion, we have plenty of depth and room to grow and think this unit will be solid over the next couple of years. Continue to get Ellies and Izzard play and also rotate in some of our younger players to get meaningful repetitions.

DB's played fairly solid. Olave had 3 receptions for 44 yards and 1 score. 38 of those coming on one play with some miscommunication. I noticed some hiccups on a few plays, but I love our underclassmen DB's. I think Joey Porter Jr. is a lockdown corner. He is only going to get better.

*The key for the next few games is not about wins/losses. I think the program needs to focus on keeping some of our younger players out of the portal and retain as many recruits as we can. There will be a lot of distractions and moving pieces over the next couple of months. If Franklin doesn't hold things together, I'm hoping someone from the coaching leadership team can step up and maintain qualify control. My gut feeling is Franklin is tapped out and the players will be too. We could be in for an ugly finish. Hopefully I'm wrong!

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
What are some of your general thoughts of our offense and defense from Saturday's game, and future of them both? Below is what initially comes to mind for me, but interested in hearing what everyone else has to say!

Offense:

I feel like Clifford has regressed over the past couple of years. Not sure if this is due to changes in OC or not working on his craft. Whatever it may be, he just doesn't have the "IT" athleticism that could have taken this team to another level. I hope Yurcich is working with the next "future" QB (whoever that may be). I think he needs the QB to understand his system and build and grow together.

What happened to the Lawn Boys? Under 50 yards rushing is not good. I think we have talent at the RB position, but we need a star. OL does not help this issue either. However, it would be nice to have a RB that can make plays... big plays.

Dotson has stepped up over the past couple years, but man, Parker Washington played a heck of game. Very consistent and definitely took the load off of Dotson. He is definitely our next man up at WR.

I am a fan of our Tight Ends. Down field blocking looked amazing. The set in which Yurcich had these big boys split out and dumped underneath was a site to see. They were bullying DB's to the ground. This group is young and will continue to be a large part of Yurcich's scheme.

At times our offensive line provided Clifford with some great protection. Sean's pocket presence and going through WR reads has become very poor. However, OL needs some help.

Defense

There was one player that stood out to me, and maybe it was just me... but #23 Curtis Jacobs was an absolute ANIMAL on the field. This kid will be our next breakout defensive star. He was intense, sacrifices himself, and finds the play. This kid has potential to be a great.

I think our DL played well. In my opinion, we have plenty of depth and room to grow and think this unit will be solid over the next couple of years. Continue to get Ellies and Izzard play and also rotate in some of our younger players to get meaningful repetitions.

DB's played fairly solid. Olave had 3 receptions for 44 yards and 1 score. 38 of those coming on one play with some miscommunication. I noticed some hiccups on a few plays, but I love our underclassmen DB's. I think Joey Porter Jr. is a lockdown corner. He is only going to get better.

*The key for the next few games is not about wins/losses. I think the program needs to focus on keeping some of our younger players out of the portal and retain as many recruits as we can. There will be a lot of distractions and moving pieces over the next couple of months. If Franklin doesn't hold things together, I'm hoping someone from the coaching leadership team can step up and maintain qualify control. My gut feeling is Franklin is tapped out and the players will be too. We could be in for an ugly finish. Hopefully I'm wrong!
I think our offense has a lot of problems. Offensive line is weak, running game is terrible, QB play is "ok" although I really like Clifford. I think he's a tough kid and gives a ton of effort. Our tight ends will improve, but at this point I feel they drop too many passes. Our WR's are very good. Hard to say what the future looks like without knowing the QB situation. If Allar comes in next year, I'd give him the keys to the car right away. This is assuming Clifford is gone after this season even with the extra COVID year. With the right coaching/system, there's no reason a "real deal" freshman QB can't come in and succeed right away. Hell, even Hack had a pretty good freshman year under BOB.

I'm still pretty high on our defense. Losing Brisker, Brooks and AK-17 will have a big impact though, at least for a while until some of the younger kids get more reps.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Offensive: Go f*ck yourself.

Defensive: It isn’t my fault. Don’t blame me.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

Offense:

Defense

disagree about Clifford. He's been greatly improved from last year but now he's dealing with injuries.
I'm not sure the Lawn Boys made it out of covid 2020.
Cain is hurt so that explains him, Lee looked better but is not close to what he was last year. Ford is injured now as well. Holmes is RShirting but frankly I think we need him. Maybe we could get some hidden yardage with kickoffs with him?
The OL is a mess. Plain and simple and Traut has a lot of explaining to do and its not just because Wormley is hurt.
TE's had their best game since the Auburn game. Hope it continues.
Dotson has just been amazing. Parker had a really good game and KSB is becoming a good WR.

On Defense:
Jacobs and Brooks have really improved. I'm still waiting for the light to come on for Smith. I thought he would be a lot better than he is.
The Back 7 is the strength of this team. Hopefully Porter will come back for another year but Hardy has been awesome.
DL played well but we need some more beef in the middle and we will be missing AK next year. He's was a portal homerun.
I don't think Franklin or the team has tapped out or it would have been a complete massacre at Ohio St.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021

Offense:

Defense

Offense:
I really don't believe that Clifford has regressed. He surely played poorly the first 5 games of 2020, but I believe that was more so due to the lack of team preparation, no Spring ball with new OC, season cancelled then restarted on short notice,.... And I believe that if there was a running game to take the pressure off the passing game that Clifford would perform about as well as any QB in college football. He is accurate for the most part, but still fails to step into his throws occasionally which may still be due to his lack of faith in the Oline, which is 100% justified.

Regarding the running game I put 2/3rds of the blame on the OL (including the TE's) and the other 1/3 on the RB's. Cain is not the RB he was during 2019, as he has very little burst through a hole, on the rare play there is a hole. But he also is slow to slide down the line to an opening or take a run to the outside. Lovett is a proven back but does not have the power of Cain or Lee, but has speed and if the line could open holes I believe he is good enough to lead a good running game.

Obviously our WR's are very good, especially now that KLS is more consistently producing. Hope Meiga gets some opportunities to make some plays so he continues his progress towards being a potential starter in 2022.

Defense:
Jacobs has progressed into an All-B10 player. He has the skills to take advantage of the opportunities to make plays, in space or attacking at the LOS. I also believe that Smith is playing well, and the NFL scouts seem to agree, with some placing him at #25 in the upcoming 1st round. I was hoping he would return for 2022 but probably not likely. If he leaves we'll have a big hold to fill as Jacobs' skill set should keep him outside. Brooks has really improved, so right now I don't believe we can ask more from the LB's as a group.

Secondary is also playing pretty well. Brown is better as a thumper than he is at tracking down WR's that get loose but he has played pretty well and should get a couple more picks this season. CB's have played well, but I wish they would keep their swagger more to themselves - quit shaking fingers, heads, ..... Just make plays.

DL lost it's leader when Mustipher went down and it cost PSU the IL game. As well in the oh-high-ya game, a sack or two and a couple of better hits when the freshman QB was setting up may have given PSU a win. So right now the DL is coming up short against the better teams and needs to find someone to make plays at key times for PSU to beat UM and/or MSU. We could use DDS right now, but he should see lots of PT and development in 2022.

Reactions: bbrown

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Defense - Line playing good considering no Issac, Beamon, Mustipher
LB's - Good with a drop off from Smith, i expect better angles and tackles from him.
DB's - Best ever at PSU, TCF gets caught now and then, gotta hang on to potential picks.

Offense- Line worst ever at PSU
RB's - Can't break it open past LOS, Cain like Aaron Harris gets a pass, Lovett, how'd he get that yardage in the Big XII, Lee should start and get game hardened.
TE's - Young but still got to snag em' better than the Illinois game.
Wr's - Parker , and KLS stepping it up but all have to create separation, Jahan in a class by himself.
QB- Sean is the team--- how he and his health go so goes the team, back up' TR no excuse for his poor play, CV gets a free pass, CJF dropped the ball on the portal we lost Levis, Bowens, and i believe Johnson gave up football.

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Defense - Line playing good considering no Issac, Beamon, Mustipher
LB's - Good with a drop off from Smith, i expect better angles and tackles from him.
DB's - Best ever at PSU, TCF gets caught now and then, gotta hang on to potential picks.

Offense- Line worst ever at PSU
RB's - Can't break it open past LOS, Cain like Aaron Harris gets a pass, Lovett, how'd he get that yardage in the Big XII, Lee should start and get game hardened.
TE's - Young but still got to snag em' better than the Illinois game.
Wr's - Parker , and KLS stepping it up but all have to create separation, Jahan in a class by himself.
QB- Sean is the team--- how he and his health go so goes the team, back up' TR no excuse for his poor play, CV gets a free pass, CJF dropped the ball on the portal we lost Levis, Bowens, and i believe Johnson gave up football.
Its not a good OL by any stretch but its not as bad as the 2014-15 versions.
I think you answered your own question about Lovett....Big Xll defense's.

Lion Backer

Oct 25, 2021
Just a word about TE’s. All of them need to block more consistently from game to game. Strange seems to drop the ball when clutch catches are needed. I”d think about moving him to the OL or DL next year.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
disagree about Clifford. He's been greatly improved from last year but now he's dealing with injuries.
I'm not sure the Lawn Boys made it out of covid 2020.
Cain is hurt so that explains him, Lee looked better but is not close to what he was last year. Ford is injured now as well. Holmes is RShirting but frankly I think we need him. Maybe we could get some hidden yardage with kickoffs with him?
The OL is a mess. Plain and simple and Traut has a lot of explaining to do and its not just because Wormley is hurt.
TE's had their best game since the Auburn game. Hope it continues.
Dotson has just been amazing. Parker had a really good game and KSB is becoming a good WR.

On Defense:
Jacobs and Brooks have really improved. I'm still waiting for the light to come on for Smith. I thought he would be a lot better than he is.
The Back 7 is the strength of this team. Hopefully Porter will come back for another year but Hardy has been awesome.
DL played well but we need some more beef in the middle and we will be missing AK next year. He's was a portal homerun.
I don't think Franklin or the team has tapped out or it would have been a complete massacre at Ohio St.
Especially agree with your last sentence.