What do we do well?

18IsTheMan

Heisman
Oct 1, 2014
20,808
17,694
113
I know, I know....we have deficiencies. But there are some things we do well.

We're pretty good against the run

We convert reasonably well on 3rd down (40%...only 32% last year)

We are 8th nationally in yards per game

We are 17th in rushing yards per game

We're 21st in time of possession percentage.

For an offense that runs the ball as well as we do and controls the clock as well as we do, that's usually a recipe for keeping games close. We obviously don't finish drives well. Just too many self-inflicted wounds. Untimely penalties (our forever problem), terrible pass by Sellers, something...

I know it's only a small snapshot of the overall picture, but a team with the resume above should not be a total train wreck. It's not a championship resume, but it's the resume of a team that should be at least decent.
 

Dabo's Weenie

Senior
Nov 30, 2024
919
982
93
I know, I know....we have deficiencies. But there are some things we do well.

We're pretty good against the run

We convert reasonably well on 3rd down (40%...only 32% last year)

We are 8th nationally in yards per game

We are 17th in rushing yards per game

We're 21st in time of possession percentage.

For an offense that runs the ball as well as we do and controls the clock as well as we do, that's usually a recipe for keeping games close. We obviously don't finish drives well. Just too many self-inflicted wounds. Untimely penalties (our forever problem), terrible pass by Sellers, something...

I know it's only a small snapshot of the overall picture, but a team with the resume above should not be a total train wreck. It's not a championship resume, but it's the resume of a team that should be at least decent.

Too soon to tell - 50% of their stats have been compiled against cadavers. Look at things at the end of the season if you're going to compare against other seasons.
 

I4CtheFuture

All-Conference
Oct 5, 2024
1,516
1,538
113
Honestly, now that I've had time to digest everything, I believe at the end of the year, Miss St will be top 10, definitely top 15... and we played Bama, a top 5 team at their place.

We ran into 2 buzzsaws early and had one of them on the ropes early. - We can keep doing this all week but we really won't know anything until after the KY game.

And as you already stated, if we don't get the secondary figured out, none of this will matter. Minus the secondary, I think we're a pretty decent team with a very shaky QB. - To answer your question, Swain returns punts pretty well. OL is blocking finally.... only took 134 years. IMHO, another problem we have is Harbor @ WR. - He's taking up a spot that a younger guy should clearly have. Harbor is basically a decoy at this point. Paper tiger. Mazeo (?) is pretty good though. Our DL isn't half bad either. Other than Stewart the other night, we don't get any "dumb" penalties.
 

Skuddy

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2022
1,937
3,987
113
I know, I know....we have deficiencies. But there are some things we do well.

We're pretty good against the run

We convert reasonably well on 3rd down (40%...only 32% last year)

We are 8th nationally in yards per game

We are 17th in rushing yards per game

We're 21st in time of possession percentage.

For an offense that runs the ball as well as we do and controls the clock as well as we do, that's usually a recipe for keeping games close. We obviously don't finish drives well. Just too many self-inflicted wounds. Untimely penalties (our forever problem), terrible pass by Sellers, something...

I know it's only a small snapshot of the overall picture, but a team with the resume above should not be a total train wreck. It's not a championship resume, but it's the resume of a team that should be at least decent.
We have always been pretty good at losing.
 

RL09

All-Conference
Dec 29, 2025
977
1,135
93
I know, I know....we have deficiencies. But there are some things we do well.

We're pretty good against the run

We convert reasonably well on 3rd down (40%...only 32% last year)

We are 8th nationally in yards per game

We are 17th in rushing yards per game

We're 21st in time of possession percentage.

For an offense that runs the ball as well as we do and controls the clock as well as we do, that's usually a recipe for keeping games close. We obviously don't finish drives well. Just too many self-inflicted wounds. Untimely penalties (our forever problem), terrible pass by Sellers, something...

I know it's only a small snapshot of the overall picture, but a team with the resume above should not be a total train wreck. It's not a championship resume, but it's the resume of a team that should be at least decent.
much of this has taken place since we finally have a real OL coach who knows what he is doing, much credit to him and his players!
 

OldFlaCock

Joined Jan 12, 2002
Jan 12, 2002
632
1,005
93
I know, I know....we have deficiencies. But there are some things we do well.

We're pretty good against the run

We convert reasonably well on 3rd down (40%...only 32% last year)

We are 8th nationally in yards per game

We are 17th in rushing yards per game

We're 21st in time of possession percentage.

For an offense that runs the ball as well as we do and controls the clock as well as we do, that's usually a recipe for keeping games close. We obviously don't finish drives well. Just too many self-inflicted wounds. Untimely penalties (our forever problem), terrible pass by Sellers, something...

I know it's only a small snapshot of the overall picture, but a team with the resume above should not be a total train wreck. It's not a championship resume, but it's the resume of a team that should be at least decent.
Clap our hands on the sidel!🤪
 
  • Haha
Reactions: I4CtheFuture

Harvard Gamecock

All-Conference
May 5, 2014
3,309
3,041
113
Quite the list, but I'll give it a go.

Blow 2nd half leads.
Win in the stats column, except for the most important stat. W's
Have opposing coaches punk our HC in nationally televised Bowl Games
Blame the referees for most losses.
Proclaim that we always have the best practice. the week before a big game
Overlook and or fail to make great hires.

I'm sure I missed some.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Carolina Confidential: Final thoughts on South Carolina vs. Kentucky
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football How Beamer Ball might matter more than usual when South Carolina plays Kentucky
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football Three keys to a South Carolina win over Kentucky
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football Recruiting INTEL: South Carolina football hosting top recruits, including SEC commits for Kentucky game
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football Behind Enemy Lines: Kentucky writer breaks down Wildcats ahead of South Carolina game