What is your favorite small town in SC

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
When I was a kid it was Ridgeville... where my grandparents lived. For the most part downtown main street wasn't any longer than a football field. A grocery store, a furniture store, a bbq joint, a barber shop and a post office. And all of that was on one side of the road. That was pretty much it... everything you needed. Not sure what it looks like today. Haven't been there in at least 20 years.

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
back in the 80's before it went crazy with establishments and population it was Duncan....had much fun growing up there

Reactions: Forkcock

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
back in the 80's before it went crazy with establishments and population it was Duncan....had much fun growing up there
whats crazy is when I lived there I think the population was about 4500....but on Friday night there would be 8000 or 9000 at the Byrnes game....10,000 if we were playing Greer

Reactions: Rogue Cock

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
Pawleys Island…been here 30 years and it gets better every year…if you combine it with the Litchfield and Murrells Inlet area I think it is the best the state has to offer for small town atmosphere and lifestyle. I used to live on Lake Murray in Chapin at Timberlake Estates, and I still have very fond memories of Chapin but it does not stack up to PI. Something about the low country coastal regions that really can only be challenged by some of the upstate mountain areas which are awesome but still not on par imo. It’s a way of life here that is just amazing

Last edited:

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
After my parents divorced, my mom moved us to Greer out by GSP airport. I went to school in Duncan...Go Byrnes Rebels!!!!

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
whats crazy is when I lived there I think the population was about 4500....but on Friday night there would be 8000 or 9000 at the Byrnes game....10,000 if we were playing Greer
Do you attend Duncan First Baptist?

AllinGamecock

Jan 30, 2022
Been going to Pawleys Island since I was in diapers but 17 sure has changed.
Always stop in Salters to get Coopers Barbecue, it’s awesome!

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I think when Lattimore and all those DIV1 athletes were there, seems like they would average a lot more than 10K. When those big name programs from around the south were coming to Nixon Field I'm sure they were upwards of 20K because they had expanded by that point. I have not been to a Byrnes Football Game in 20 years.

SuperCock99

Dec 11, 2023
I can’t say that I have one, plus i don’t get out to experience much.

It used to be Blythewood back when it was a single stop light town with an IGA and full service gas station. The Richland County ghetto fabulous life style spreading out there now.

mickray

May 20, 2023
Pawleys Island…been here 30 years and it gets better every year…if you combine it with the Litchfield and Murrells Inlet area I think it is the best the state has to offer for small town atmosphere and lifestyle. I used to live on Lake Murray in Chapin at Timberlake Estates, and I still have very fond memories of Chapin but it does not stack up to PI. Something about the low country coastal regions that really can only be challenged by some of the upstate mountain areas which are awesome but still not on par imo. It’s a way of life here that is just amazing
Highway 17 is not really fun though.....

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
I think when Lattimore and all those DIV1 athletes were there, seems like they would average a lot more than 10K. When those big name programs from around the south were coming to Nixon Field I'm sure they were upwards of 20K because they had expanded by that point. I have not been to a Byrnes Football Game in 20 years.
the 10k was in the 80's before we were nationally known....speaking of the church , cars would be lined down both sides of Main St all the way to the church when we played Greer

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Some of y'all have a way different definition of "small town" than I do. Lol. If it has a Walmart, I don't consider it a "small" town, at least not by SC standards. If it has more than one Walmart, well . . .

I'm going to go with Abbeville or Belton.

Feb 24, 2024
Newberry....my hometown. Raised in Greer but its not small anymore, neither is Beaufort, Bluffton or any other places that I've lived.
Relative to some extent. While I generally think of "small town" as 15k - 40k population, when it comes to practical living experience, I think of Columbia as a small town. Maybe because it's the smallest town I've ever lived in (by far).

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Some of y'all have a way different definition of "small town" than I do. Lol. If it has a Walmart, I don't consider it a "small" town, at least not by SC standards. If it has more than one Walmart, well . . .

I'm going to go with Abbeville or Belton.
That eliminates Barnwell.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
It's Travelers Rest, South Carolina. Travel and Leisure calls it “one of the most idyllic small towns in South Carolina.” As for hotspots, they recommend “popular restaurants like Top Soil, Monkey Wrench Smokehouse and Tandem Crêperie & Coffeehouse.

• Love
Reactions: TN-Gamecock

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Clinton is like "Mayberry". Everyone knows everyone. "We missed you in church yesterday. Don't forget 'Whitefords" Oh those burgers and fries at Whitefords. Clinton also has the powerhouse in small high school football in Thornwell. All those SCISA championships in football and then you have the Clinton High School red devils with their proud history in football with coach Keith Richardson. Boy those Clinton High School football teams in those days were really good. Clinton is where I was raised but like a lot of small towns you have to go to Laurens, Spartanburg or Greenville to go to a theater. Everything was so good very little crime. People really care for each other.

Reactions: JoelKL65

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
When I moved to Mt. Pleasant, in 1993, it had a small town feel and a population of around 18,000. It’s no longer a small town but is a great place to live.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
The old Peach Blossom Conference.....Greer, Byrnes and Clinton always fighting for the top spot.
Greer and Byrnes...best football rivalry back in the day...Byrnes hit a growth spurt and Bobby Bently put them on the map nationally.

Byrnes main rival in other sports especially basketball was JL Mann....

I wish Byrnes and Mann were still in the same conference since Mann finally caught up to 5A status.

• Love