What is your favorite small town in SC

Dec 20, 2022
When you look at the "metro" area, including St. Helena and Fripp Islands, the Burton area, Parris Island, and MCAS Beaufort, it's definitely not small. Probably close to 50k.
One of the best parts about Beaufort that helps to feel “small” is that you don’t need an interstate to commute around the city. I grew up in FairPlay, SC, and that was a small town.

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
Last time I was in TR I was impressed with how many people were out and about. Good restaurants, the Swamp Rabbit Trail always has traffic. Driving range right in the middle of town, nice amphitheater just a short walk away. The only thing that worries me (and this isn't just a Travelers Rest thing) is the "moonshine" hook. Craft beer is one thing. Craft liquor, I dunno. I wonder what the drunk and disorderly stats are these days. Also, if you can sell it legally, I don't think the term "moonshine" applies. Sexier than "bathtub gin" I guess.

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
Last time I was in TR I was impressed with how many people were out and about. Good restaurants, the Swamp Rabbit Trail always has traffic. Driving range right in the middle of town, nice amphitheater just a short walk away. The only thing that worries me (and this isn't just a Travelers Rest thing) is the "moonshine" hook. Craft beer is one thing. Craft liquor, I dunno. I wonder what the drunk and disorderly stats are these days. Also, if you can sell it legally, I don't think the term "moonshine" applies. Sexier than "bathtub gin" I guess.
Travelers Rest, South Carolina, indeed offers a vibrant and active community with various attractions such as the Swamp Rabbit Trail, local restaurants, and recreational facilities. Your concerns about craft liquor, particularly "moonshine," are understandable.

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
Relativism is interesting for sure. I currently live in North Augusta, population 25,000. I'd consider that a small city, definitely larger than a town.
North Augusta exemplifies the blend of characteristics that can make a community both manageable in size and rich in amenities and opportunities. Its classification as a small city reflects its population size, infrastructure, and the quality of life it offers, making it distinct from a typical town while still maintaining a sense of community and accessibility.

Reactions: will110

Cockywilder

May 13, 2024
I drove a school bus, imagine that back in the day having 16-17 yr olds. My route was down 296 from HWY 101 to just inside the Greenville County Line at Anderson Ridge Rd.

I did a lot of backups when a bus was broken down. I ran that Greer route from the Greer Country Club back thru Apalache and 357 back to Wade Hampton there at the old Bilo shopping center. The Greer Country Club used to be all of Byrnes district as I would go into Greenville County and turn around about where the Greer high school sits today off Gap Creek.

I think the folks there may have a choice now. Before the Greer School was built, you were closer to Byrnes Campus but now obviously you would be closer to Greer's Campus. I think there may still be a lot of loyalty to Byrnes since Spartanburg County line is a mile from the Greer campus. I bet it's fun when football season comes around in those neighborhoods where your next door neighbor may be at Greer and the other at Byrnes.

Of all the upstate schools, Greer is probably about evenly divided with Spartanburg County and Greenville County kids. Byrnes and Riverside have both but not as much as Greer.
The high school sports rivalries you experienced in Greer, particularly the intense Greer-Byrnes football games, are a testament to the passionate community engagement and local pride that characterize these events. Living near the county line added another layer of complexity and connection to multiple communities. These dynamics contribute to the rich tapestry of local sports culture and community identity in the area.

• Love
Reactions: TN-Gamecock

ScWildthing61

Jan 23, 2022
Grew up in Walterboro, haven't really been back there since my parents and I moved back in 2000.

Crazy thing is the place in Virginia where we moved, Louisa County; it's two towns (Louisa and Mineral) combined might be the size of Walterboro.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Grew up in Walterboro, haven't really been back there since my parents and I moved back in 2000.

Crazy thing is the place in Virginia where we moved, Louisa County; it's two towns (Louisa and Mineral) combined might be the size of Walterboro.
To me, Washington St. looks like a dumpster fire....:(

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
grew up in FairPlay, SC, and that was a small town.
My roommate at Carolina was from Tookena-Crossroads (not sure of spelling). I would drive him home since he did not have a car. We would leave Columbia and travel to Clinton then take 76 (i think thats the right hwy number) to Anderson. We would then get on I85 to the Fairplay exit at Lake Hartwell, I believe it was EXIT 1 right before you cross the SC/Ga border. Then we went to Tokeena_Crossroads. There were two big silos at the dirt road where we turned it to his parents house. They had a Westminster address and Seneca phone#. He went to West-Oak high school. His dad was the principal at the old Oakway High School.

Was not expecting to see Fair Play mentioned...LOVE IT!!!!

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Travelers Rest, South Carolina, indeed offers a vibrant and active community with various attractions such as the Swamp Rabbit Trail, local restaurants, and recreational facilities. Your concerns about craft liquor, particularly "moonshine," are understandable.
From TR to Landrum up Highway 11 and especially the Bird Mountain Community, moonshine city....lol

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I'll put in a word for Hickory Tavern, in Laurens County. My dad was principal of the high school that used to be there. This was around 1970-1971. I only visited but it seemed like a nice little hamlet.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Sparklecity

Jan 20, 2022
Some of y'all have a way different definition of "small town" than I do. Lol. If it has a Walmart, I don't consider it a "small" town, at least not by SC standards. If it has more than one Walmart, well . . .

I'm going to go with Abbeville or Belton.
Exactly, how about Landrum, it dosen't even have one. The closest Wal-Mart is about 25 minutes away.

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
Due West of what is what I always thought.
Well think no more. Du Wett was a French trader who established an outpost in the 1750's at a site 6 miles away from the current Due West. His trading post later became known as De Witt's Corner. By 1839 when Erskine College was founded the village was known as Due West Corner. Over time the "Corner" was dropped, hence Due West is a corruption of mister Du Wett's name.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Well think no more. Du Wett was a French trader who established an outpost in the 1750's at a site 6 miles away from the current Due West. His trading post later became known as De Witt's Corner. By 1839 when Erskine College was founded the village was known as Due West Corner. Over time the "Corner" was dropped, hence Due West is a corruption of mister Du Wett's name.
Is he the one that named a river after that French Broad?

Hoganman1

Nov 28, 2022
Ridgeway. I was born there but moved to Winnsboro when I was two. Also I attended Erskine in Due West. I have lived in Charlotte for almost fifty years but still miss that “small town “ feel

Reactions: brgcfan and USCEDGE

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
Ridgeway. I was born there but moved to Winnsboro when I was two. Also I attended Erskine in Due West. I have lived in Charlotte for almost fifty years but still miss that “small town “ feel

Hmm, a thread about small towns that conjures up some "It's a small world" remembrances.

I was born in Winnsboro and my first home was in Ridgeway. We moved before I started school there.

My daughter graduated from Erskine. She loved it there.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Alright, where's my Marietta/Slater people? Cleveland SC?

Last edited:

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
How about the old "Tooter Town" off Highway 14 at Gap Creek Rd. wide spot in the road, used to advertise at population '3'.
I was trying to think of it earlier when I made the Fairmont post but couldn't think what it was called....does it still have the sign....Welcome to Tooter Town ...50 feet later....you are now leaving Tooter Town

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Yes. What was mass migration of northerners coming to Hilton Head and Bluffton has now pivoted to my little hometown. Unfortunately, word of its charm has gotten out.

And that’s interesting that your granddaughter is a kindergarten teacher. I also work for our school district here in Beaufort.
She's finishing up her first year there, having moved to Beaufort after getting married last summer. She graduated from USC-Beaufort.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
LOL. In other words.....you are just trying to stir things up. Most of my family have been or are teachers and principals. To the best of my knowledge, neither of the teachers' unions have filed suit against the state.....where they are not likely to be successful if they tried.
My father and mother were lifelong educators, she a teacher and he a principal and district superintendent (at the time of is retirement). My maternal grandmother also made a career of teaching. My daughter is recently retired after 29 years of teaching English at the high school level.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I was trying to think of it earlier when I made the Fairmont post but couldn't think what it was called....does it still have the sign....Welcome to Tooter Town ...50 feet later....you are now leaving Tooter Town
I'm not sure...I typically don't come down Hwy 14 much anymore. From my home in TN, I get off on HWY 25 at the Hendersonville exit...go to HWY 11 in SC and go to Greer via Dark Corner, Lake Cunningham then on over to the airport where my folks live. I have a cousin who lives about 2 miles from Tooter Town off Gap Creek Rd. If I'm down this week, I'll make it a point to drive by Tooter Town and take a pic and post it.