When did you last take pride in being a Penn Stater?

When did you last take pride in being a Penn Stater?

• 1999, before MINNY. [insert the face here]

• 2016 (b1g championship)

• 2024 (wrestling, new art museum opening)

• Before visiting this message board

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jackiebrown

Apr 15, 2022
No, we are not. The problem is people who fail to realize that this is a University in decline and make no effort to change that. Now, with that said, I will exit the thread and head off to dinner. I have nothing of a positive nature to add and my pessimistic posts tend to become tedious.
Penn State was just listed #56 out of 20,966 colleges and universities around the world by CWUR the other day, #31 in the US.

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
Taking pride in an organization or company is really period-based. When I was an undergrad during the 1980's, PSU was a 'home away from home". So many things to see and do with wonderful professors and sports to watch. Now today, half of the campus buildings are gone, stores and restaurants that were late-night destinations are gone and then I realize: It's been forty years since my PSU days. To me, in the '80's, that would be like someone who was an undergrad in the 1940's!! Look how much PSU has changed from the 40's to the 80's. Today's students are just as proud of PSU because this is the PSU that they know and love. It is different for us, but it is not the PSU that we grew up with. We had our time and now it is the student's of today's time to make fond memories to cherish. But, no matter when we were students, we are always bonded by WE....ARE!!!!

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
What drew you to root and be proud of PSU?
My brother who is 9 years older was a big Penn State fan. We were born in Brooklyn so Paterno was the draw for him. And growing up in Jersey, Penn State was the only football program within 500 miles that was any good.

Reactions: AvgUser

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Penn State was just listed #56 out of 20,966 colleges and universities around the world by CWUR the other day, #31 in the US.

20,996 people here will tell you that these rankings are MEANINGLESS. o_O .

TANKING. o_O

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Taking pride in an organization or company is really period-based. When I was an undergrad during the 1980's, PSU was a 'home away from home". So many things to see and do with wonderful professors and sports to watch. Now today, half of the campus buildings are gone, stores and restaurants that were late-night destinations are gone and then I realize: It's been forty years since my PSU days. To me, in the '80's, that would be like someone who was an undergrad in the 1940's!! Look how much PSU has changed from the 40's to the 80's. Today's students are just as proud of PSU because this is the PSU that they know and love. It is different for us, but it is not the PSU that we grew up with. We had our time and now it is the student's of today's time to make fond memories to cherish. But, no matter when we were students, we are always bonded by WE....ARE!!!!

We each had our period, and it made us moody.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Penn State was just listed #56 out of 20,966 colleges and universities around the world by CWUR the other day, #31 in the US.y

Very nice. But.... we were listed at 408 out of 500 by Forbes. Do I think 408th is accurate? No, but I don't buy 31st in the US either. US News is considered by many as the gold standard and they have us 60th among public universities. I think that's fair, and not bad, except as it relates to other BigTen schools. As I noted, there, we are 14 out of 18. To me that is no reason for pride. Penn State is a good school, not a great one. We can do better....we must do better. No one suggests we should be in a class with Northwestern or Michigan, but we should at least try to outrank the likes of Michigan State and Minnesota. Let's get our ranking up and our tuition down.
I will leave it at that. I have no more to add and I will leave the floor open for rebuttal by those who rejoice in outranking Iowa and Nebraska. More importantly, I am headed to church and then a family gathering. Peace to all.

Last edited:

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
No doubt Penn State does amazing things every day. The problem is that most of our brethren in the BigTen do more. In the 2024 US News Academic Rankings, when ranking all 18 schools in the BigTen, we are 14th. 14 out of 18, ahead of only Indiana, Iowa, Oregon and Nebraska. Perhaps that is a source of great pride for some, but not me. We will never be a Michigan or a Northwestern, but is being ranked ahead of Michigan State, Maryland, Minnesota, OSU, and Rutgers asking too much?
One more point. US News ranks us 193rd in best value schools. You mentioned the administration as being one of the reasons Penn State is doing great things. I don't think many here would agree with you on that one, but if they are capable of doing great things perhaps bringing down the cost of tuition is within their reach. Penn State is now the most expensive flagship public university in the country.
Finally, I admire your pride in Dear Old State. Really, I do. I once felt that way. Perhaps someday I will again. Maybe if we can pass Michigan State, Minnesota, and Maryland......
You basing your bad attitude on some random magazine is …. Odd. Look around, talk to some of the students, realize many of the students help out with various entities that help those in need, maybe notice the pride the students and instructors have in their school. Screw some arbitrary ranking, talk to real people. Also why do the top employers interview at PSU if the university is so bad.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
You basing your bad attitude on some random magazine is …. Odd. Look around, talk to some of the students, realize many of the students help out with various entities that help those in need, maybe notice the pride the students and instructors have in their school. Screw some arbitrary ranking, talk to real people. Also why do the top employers interview at PSU if the university is so bad.
That may be true, but how a school compares with their peers is also important, as it does impact jobs for grads down the road. It's a lot harder to trust an institution that screwed up the Sandusky situation so badly, no matter what you think about the case itself.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Out of church and headed to a family function. This is my last post in this thread....I promise.
With all due respect, you are missing the point. This thread is about the feelings of each individual posting here. "When did you last take pride in being a Penn Stater"? What current students and instructors think is irrelevant to me.
I once took great pride in this University. In addition to me, I sent 2 daughters there. I held season tickets for 40 years, attending over 300 football games in person (over 100 away). I've donated 10's of thousands of dollars to Penn State and worked as a volunteer in various capacities. I think I have earned the right to be critical. The fact is, I no longer feel pride in my Alma Mater. In my profession I meet a lot of people. I regularly have contact with grads from OSU, Maryland, Rutgers, and Michigan. Penn State takes a back seat, academically, to all of them. Throw in the Sandusky debacle, Joe's firing, the absurdly high tuition (due in my opinion, to mismanagement by the Administration), and a clown show in the BOT, and I have no reason for pride. You, and others, may feel differently. I get that. That's what this thread is all about. Each can express their feelings as they wish. I have, ad nauseam, and so I will move on.

Last edited:

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Also why do the top employers interview at PSU if the university is so bad.

i can answer that, moms went to many PSU career fairs repping a huge company. She told me State undergrads worked hard, made good teammates and didn’t act like babies.
her experience with 25yo ivy MBAs were opposite.

Countrylion

Oct 30, 2021
Also why do the top employers interview at PSU if the university is so bad.

i can answer that, moms went to many PSU career fairs repping a huge company. She told me State undergrads worked hard, made good teammates and didn’t act like babies.
her experience with 25yo ivy MBAs were opposite.
Exactly, evidently not good enough reason for some to take pride in our students and university. You know bad things happen in life and bad things happened at PSU. That should not be a reason to not take pride in our students and university.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
That’s all well and good, but Schreyer has no students because PSU only attracts dummies.

😞
1 worked hard at schreyer (aero/mech e) but USC masters (software engineering) really challenged him. He’s hinting to us he may come east, earn a PHD and teach/write/research. That path would most prob yield some g babies (and a house down payment)

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I thought of two quotes

"Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment, that was known as Camelot."

"Camelot, Camelot, Camelot!---It's only a model!"

• Love
Reactions: FHSPSU67 and bdgan

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I felt pretty damn proud after reading the “identify the game” thread, just saying.

Reactions: BobPSU92

tkmtr14

Oct 31, 2021
Everyday! But the three most recently relevant… congratulating my Daughter after dancing in Thon 2023, attending her Graduation a few months later, and this past Good Friday when my youngest Son said “I do” to the class of 2028!!
We Are!

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Everyday! But the three most recently relevant… congratulating my Daughter after dancing in Thon 2023, attending her Graduation a few months later, and this past Good Friday when my youngest Son said “I do” to the class of 2028!!
We Are!

I have PSU Alumni plates on both of my cars. Looking forward to going up for a game this year. Still love to watch Penn State football/athletics and I wear PSU stuff all the time. It's not on my radar as a landing spot for my kids unless they tell me otherwise (and who knows?). Plenty to be proud of, but admittedly turned off a bit after 2011 (not just firing Paterno, but the complete mismanagement of everything Sandusky including throwing the whole school and alumni community under the bus by paying out unverified claims to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars).

Anyways....I'm here, right?

Station 19 GIF by ABC Network

Chatz5531

Oct 7, 2021
Greek Festival in Winston-Salem, NC, of all places this past Saturday (I was wearing a Penn State polo and hat). A nice Latina lady said 'We Are' out of the blue and said that her boyfriend went to Penn State and taught her that amongst all sorts of other Penn State-related things. It brought a smile to my face. He's clearly a stand up guy. I will always have a fondness for my alma mater. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of things about Penn State that I'm not happy about, but I'll always have a good place in my heart for my school.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Take pride? Never. Choosing schools was a utilitarian decision for me. My Mom never graduated HS and my Dad never even thought about college.

I could not afford to go to the schools I wanted to attend, but at the time PSU was tens of thousands less, so that was my path. My classmates headed off to Northwestern, Penn, Brown, Swarthmore and Lehigh.

My son went to games with me from the time he was five, but he wanted a big city experience and chose Philly for college and grad school. My daughter wanted the best film school she could get into, so she ended up in Cali.

I suppose if I were looking at college today working and on line classes would be my path. I think it is foolish to spend 50k for a four year college experience with a residential experience. Today I’m not sure 50k would even buy me a year of tuition and expenses at any 4 year University within a hundred miles?

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Take pride? Never. Choosing schools was a utilitarian decision for me. My Mom never graduated HS and my Dad never even thought about college.

I could not afford to go to the schools I wanted to attend, but at the time PSU was tens of thousands less, so that was my path. My classmates headed off to Northwestern, Penn, Brown, Swarthmore and Lehigh.

My son went to games with me from the time he was five, but he wanted a big city experience and chose Philly for college and grad school. My daughter wanted the best film school she could get into, so she ended up in Cali.

I suppose if I were looking at college today working and on line classes would be my path. I think it is foolish to spend 50k for a four year college experience with a residential experience. Today I’m not sure 50k would even buy me a year of tuition and expenses at any 4 year University within a hundred miles?

Plus the tow trucks in State College, am I right?

I Know Right Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
Having graduated in 1985 and then having moved back in 2001 and having been here since that's a good question. I can say for certain my pride in the greater region, including the university, has gone down over the last several years. I was immensely proud of the 2012 football team and made sure to attend the games to show support. Bottom line, I cannot give a specific date but I'd say the slide most definitely began during the President Barron years.

tkmtr14

Oct 31, 2021
I have PSU Alumni plates on both of my cars. Looking forward to going up for a game this year. Still love to watch Penn State football/athletics and I wear PSU stuff all the time. It's not on my radar as a landing spot for my kids unless they tell me otherwise (and who knows?). Plenty to be proud of, but admittedly turned off a bit after 2011 (not just firing Paterno, but the complete mismanagement of everything Sandusky including throwing the whole school and alumni community under the bus by paying out unverified claims to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars).

Anyways....I'm here, right?

Station 19 GIF by ABC Network
Hi Midnighter.
Love the polls. Thanks
Not that you asked but my reply to yours is pretty simple. My Daughter who Graduated last year loved it. The School and the town made her happy! Just like her Father from the class of 1987. My Son entering in the Fall, the youngest of our 5, saw her happiness and love of the place and wanted to be a part of it. I truly don’t believe there’s a better school to meet and live amongst people of every race, religion etc. to prepare you for life. If you’re into it, there’s somebody in State College to be into it with you on a smaller safer scale. My Daughter is heading to New York in the Fall when she finishes nursing school. She’s better prepared for it because of her time learning and growing up at PSU.
Oh, and my Son was choosing between Holy Cross, potentially BC and PSU. PSU saved me $50K/year.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Hi Midnighter.
Love the polls. Thanks
Not that you asked but my reply to yours is pretty simple. My Daughter who Graduated last year loved it. The School and the town made her happy! Just like her Father from the class of 1987. My Son entering in the Fall, the youngest of our 5, saw her happiness and love of the place and wanted to be a part of it. I truly don’t believe there’s a better school to meet and live amongst people of every race, religion etc. to prepare you for life. If you’re into it, there’s somebody in State College to be into it with you on a smaller safer scale. My Daughter is heading to New York in the Fall when she finishes nursing school. She’s better prepared for it because of her time learning and growing up at PSU.
Oh, and my Son was choosing between Holy Cross, potentially BC and PSU. PSU saved me $50K/year.

Wonderful - thanks for sharing! I have lived in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Hawaii, Japan, Germany, and Bosnia. I credit most of my success and life-altering experiences to the Army (and life as a Marine brat) and not Penn State (much of that is because I was woefully unprepared to take full advantage of everything offered). While I do think Penn State is a fine school and will give you what you put into it, I do not think it is unique. And having been privy to how other schools operate via my wife (mostly Oxford and LSE) we are looking for something different for our kids (who, you know, could still very well end up at Penn State). Your mileage may vary :).

Yoga Thank You GIF by The Garcías

Reactions: tkmtr14

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
That’s all well and good, but Schreyer has no students because PSU only attracts dummies.

😞
I have two kids who are Schreyer grads, so it's not only dummies.

Although you and I are certainly evidence to support your point.

• Love
Reactions: BobPSU92

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Today I’m not sure 50k would even buy me a year of tuition and expenses at any 4 year University within a hundred miles?
Harrisburg Area Community College for 2 years then transfer. Commuting to a PSU branch campus for 2 years would save quite a bit.

Total cost of attendance in state:
Iowa $26k
Purdue $23k
Indiana $27k
Nebraska $27k

Penn State $39k