Where are the Big 10s being held in 2023?

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Thanks. I can’t seem to be able to find that info.

kadeeu

Nov 1, 2021
I think you're right in they havn't announced it yet. Here is a list of past hosts:

2022 - Neb
2021 - PSU
2020 - Rutgers
2019 - Minny
2018 - Mich St
2017 - Ind
2016 - Iowa
2015 - OSU
2014 - Wisky
2013 - Ill
2012 - Pur
2011 - NW
2010 - Mich
2009 - PSU

Looking at the list they seem to be giving every Big 10 school a chance to host and it looks to be Maryland's turn. If they won't/can't for some reason then it would look to be Michigan. The wild card here is that PSU was told, i believe, they would get to host again soon because no fans were allowed in 2021. So probably one of those 3 schools.

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
I think you're right in they havn't announced it yet. Here is a list of past hosts:

2022 - Neb
2021 - PSU
2020 - Rutgers
2019 - Minny
2018 - Mich St
2017 - Ind
2016 - Iowa
2015 - OSU
2014 - Wisky
2013 - Ill
2012 - Pur
2011 - NW
2010 - Mich
2009 - PSU

Looking at the list they seem to be giving every Big 10 school a chance to host and it looks to be Maryland's turn. If they won't/can't for some reason then it would look to be Michigan. The wild card here is that PSU was told, i believe, they would get to host again soon because no fans were allowed in 2021. So probably one of those 3 schools.
Agree. We should be able to host within the next 2 years because of the Covid year. No fans. It’s only right.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Agree. We should be able to host within the next 2 years because of the Covid year. No fans. It’s only right.
Agree. I believe I heard that they would be in HV again by 2025 because they took one for the team in 2021. Haven’t heard when. Same with Olympic trials in 2024. Book it! Also hear area is working on PIAA’s on the next rotation. HV is the Wrestling Mt. Olympus so why not?

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Slow day in wrestling news so thought I'd post this. My oldest brother is a serious wrestling fan (wrestled in the same HS room as Bill Reinbolt, and then wrestled for Larry Fornicola) and wanted to find a way to get the guys together for what would be called 'the guy thing' and do it annually. He chose, since it was his idea, to attend the Big 10 wrestling tournament at Indiana in 1995. The brothers, brothers in law, our dad and uncles joined in and it was a hit. Since it was @ IU the attendance wasn't that great and we had seats that were really good as each session we were able to move around and stretch out. Before one session I almost ran into Bobby Knight - he was a big guy and he didn't appreciate me almost bumping into him. We talk about growing the sport, but selfishly, I appreciated the earlier days of that tournament in many venues where you could almost sit where you wanted.

We have more or less attended regional sites, IU, Purdue, MSU, UM, tOSU, PSU, WI, IL, never further west (for me) than those and have had groups between 3 to 14 guys. Along the way, the older guys passed on and some of them have been replaced by the younger guys. Back in the day a six pack was a 'whet your appetite', whereas now that may be about it for the weekend... well, along with the visits to a bar / restaurant for a bite to eat. We've met some wonderful people and families of wrestlers along the way, both our team and competitors. It's amazing to me the camaraderie there is for the sport.

We've not been able to make Big 10's for some of these years. A few times during that span we had to skip the Big 10's and attend the NCAA tourney. CLE (2X), Pittsburgh and certain of us have gone to others even before that time. My other brother knows a guy who knows a guy and we get GREAT Seats for NCAAs.

This year we made the same plans as we had last year; renting a cabin in central PA and this year there's five of us. In between sessions we watch the elk, or drive around to see them, and sit around a fire or shoot the breeze and tell each other how good we were back in the day. Nobody believes much of it because we all know one another. We'll watch the wrestling mostly at a couple of local bars and in spite of the fact the NCAA March madness event is conflicting, by Finals day we've made a lot of converts to the oldest sport, the greatest sport. I love this time of the year!

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

2022 - Neb
2021 - PSU
2020 - Rutgers
2019 - Minny
2018 - Mich St
2017 - Ind
2016 - Iowa
2015 - OSU
2014 - Wisky
2013 - Ill
2012 - Pur
2011 - NW
2010 - Mich
2009 - PSU

I wouldn't hold my breath on PSU hosting again soon. I know the B1G maybe told PSU that by they won't hesitate to just ignore it.

Reactions: Tgar

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Slow day in wrestling news so thought I'd post this. My oldest brother is a serious wrestling fan (wrestled in the same HS room as Bill Reinbolt, and then wrestled for Larry Fornicola) and wanted to find a way to get the guys together for what would be called 'the guy thing' and do it annually. He chose, since it was his idea, to attend the Big 10 wrestling tournament at Indiana in 1995. The brothers, brothers in law, our dad and uncles joined in and it was a hit. Since it was @ IU the attendance wasn't that great and we had seats that were really good as each session we were able to move around and stretch out. Before one session I almost ran into Bobby Knight - he was a big guy and he didn't appreciate me almost bumping into him. We talk about growing the sport, but selfishly, I appreciated the earlier days of that tournament in many venues where you could almost sit where you wanted.

We have more or less attended regional sites, IU, Purdue, MSU, UM, tOSU, PSU, WI, IL, never further west (for me) than those and have had groups between 3 to 14 guys. Along the way, the older guys passed on and some of them have been replaced by the younger guys. Back in the day a six pack was a 'whet your appetite', whereas now that may be about it for the weekend... well, along with the visits to a bar / restaurant for a bite to eat. We've met some wonderful people and families of wrestlers along the way, both our team and competitors. It's amazing to me the camaraderie there is for the sport.

We've not been able to make Big 10's for some of these years. A few times during that span we had to skip the Big 10's and attend the NCAA tourney. CLE (2X), Pittsburgh and certain of us have gone to others even before that time. My other brother knows a guy who knows a guy and we get GREAT Seats for NCAAs.

This year we made the same plans as we had last year; renting a cabin in central PA and this year there's five of us. In between sessions we watch the elk, or drive around to see them, and sit around a fire or shoot the breeze and tell each other how good we were back in the day. Nobody believes much of it because we all know one another. We'll watch the wrestling mostly at a couple of local bars and in spite of the fact the NCAA March madness event is conflicting, by Finals day we've made a lot of converts to the oldest sport, the greatest sport. I love this time of the year!
Quick note. There will be six of us this year. My son had to come home from Africa for an updated visa, very temporarily in Pittsburgh and he's going to surprise the rest of the guys by joining us for the weekend. He's really pumped and so am I! This is gonna be a blast!

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Quick note. There will be six of us this year. My son had to come home from Africa for an updated visa, very temporarily in Pittsburgh and he's going to surprise the rest of the guys by joining us for the weekend. He's really pumped and so am I! This is gonna be a blast!
Have a great time. What bars in the Sinemahoning Valley area show the Big Ten tournament?

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
Have a great time. What bars in the Sinemahoning Valley area show the Big Ten tournament?
That’s a great question. Here’s what I know so far. Every bar we’ve ever shown up in we first off act like gentlemen. Then we treat our servers well. Engage them in conversation and develop a friendly banter. Tip generously and take command of the remote control to stay locked in to the tournament. I might be missing something but you get the idea. More later..😉

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
I’m just ready for Nationals this week. Leaving Wednesday morning. Hoping to see a SEA OF WHITE all 3 days. Let’s go Penn State. As Cael says be very loud towards the officials during our matches. SPREAD the word. Pumped 🥇

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021

*So I thought I'd better close the loop on this one. I'm still working and this is my busy season so a little lag here.
We did make it out to central PA (Clearfield Co) and rented the same cabin we had last year, right on the Sinnemahoning Creek. Camp Eagle's Nest which held true as we spotted a pair of bald eagles (learned that the Female is larger than the male) and watched them one afternoon until we got tired (30-40 minutes) of watching them. There ended up only being five of us (two generations) as my son was unable to get away from work, but we thoroughly enjoyed the time together. Only saw half a dozen elk but three were close to the road, I'd post pictures but not 100% sure how to do that here.
Bonfires aside from wrestling times. Great weather Friday into Saturday but turned to rain and chillier. Friday when we got there we met for lunch at the Driftwood Saloon where we were able to tune into NCAAS's.
The oldest brother had been having ear issues and ended up Saturday morning with vertigo (NOT drinking related) ;) and so he had to stay close to camp all weekend. He's the 'stats' guy and I provide the commentary (and general dislike for anything Iowa- related). I jump and yell, holler - 'TWO!!!', but never - 'he's stalling!, and it's all in fun.
One of the guys is a big time UM football/basketball fan, lives in NEOH where tOSU and UM banners hang everywhere, at least during football season. He was modestly interested in UM's performance as he's been on at least a dozen of these trips and his teams always seem to underperform. Nothing shocking there.
If you're in the area, you Have to stop in and check out the Bear's Den on Rt 120, a really hidden gem where the chef left the heat and pressures of Chicago and started this place, opens at 4:00 and Worth stopping at for a bite. I stayed home with the oldest brother while those guys went back for a second visit so I can't verify if they had NCAA wrestling on there as they just watched basketball with the 'normal people'. For lunch we just had Fox's pizza (regional chain with decent pizza) and that was a pickup, not dine in due to illness. 2 extra large, half mushroom, half onion; half cheese, half pepperoni - these are always important to me. No 'Hawaiian pizza' where 2/3 of it gets left uneaten... In spite of the eating we did, I worked off some of that weight on Saturday as I am up and down hollering and leaning with every match.
A couple surprises to me anyway was Brucki's performance, I saw him AAing, top 4 no less. Did anyone see Rob Koll there? I saw Cenzo but no Koll.
I LOVE the AA pictures - 8 different uniforms with 10 different weights representing the very best of college wrestling. Those are some of my favorite shots.
Sunday morning I was able to get over to HR and saw some rising and falling for the faithful - and the few who chime in once a year; 'I thought we were supposed to be pretty good, what happened..? Brands should be fired. How could so many guys be injured? These guys have too many live goes...' And there were tributes to the magnificent seven, DeSanto, the Riddler, Young, the Bull, Kemdawg, well, maybe my math is off... Spencer will be back next year to lead them to return to glory I guess.
There 's talk on some of the boards about transfers, I'm pretty old school on this one. I get how it's a new world, NIL, extra year for covid, etc., but I am SO ready to see 5-6-7th years seniors finish up college wrestling. Think Mark Hall, Anthony Cassar, Vincenzo Joseph, I don't get it.
For next year's team, like many others have said, 'I like our guys'. They wanted to wrestle here, some of them came, others didn't. Suit up in the blue and white with the white belt. Perfect.
Saturday afternoon four of us drove from Rt 120 up Grove Hill Road to Ridge and finally down Stillhouse. Beautiful. Probably a 25 minute drive starting from maybe 850' above sea level to I'd guess 2300'? and glorious views. Well, we had them until the rains and then fog showed up and shut the vista down in about 5 minutes but a very pretty drive. There's a farm/ plateau at the top and maybe a grass airfield that someone put a Lot of time, planning and money into. Wow. Do NOT try to drive this in a regular car. Sign at the very beginning of the road says snow chains (?) required, I forget but you get the idea.
Sorry for the long post but we had fun. 5 for 5! Half of the champs on one team... Incredible. Man is this fun being a PSU wrestling fan now or what! We Are!!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew