Why cant the SEC tournament beca traditional, 8 team double elimination...

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The format the CWS used before TV got involved was much more fair to all the teams. I understand ESPN wants a guaranteed championship game on Sunday afternoon, but their family of networks it seems they could be more flexible.

In this year's SEC tournament, everything would be the same up until today. Today would feature 3 games: LSU-Vandy playing in the winner's bracket finale, along with State-Kentucky and USC-Tennessee in single elimination games (you criss-cross the brackets to avoid rematches)

Saturday would feature the loser of the LSU-Vandy game vs. the highest seeded 1 loss team, and the winner of LSU-Vandy vs. the last remaining team.

You have to schedule 2 games for Sunday, with the second game being "if necessary", which is what the networks dont like. But no teams get on off day, you only have 1 team potentially playing 2 games on 1 day, and you don't have the artificial championship game where an undefeated team can lose to a 1 loss team and lose the tournament.

I don't like 4 team double elimination tournaments (and, yes, I know the NCAA tournament is filled with them) I think it gives too much of an advantage to the 2-0 team. I've never liked the changes made for TV, although I kind of like the 3 game championship series.

Reactions: patdog

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
What they had before, was damn mess. The CWS included.
College baseball is built around being able to win three game series, not events like the tournament was.
You just really don't have enough pitching. It is much better now, ...JMO.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
It would be way too easy for the mid-majors to claim that the teams in the SEC should not be considered for the NCAA tourney if they didn't make the SEC tourney.

I like the POD format for the tournament that the ACC uses.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
College baseball is built around being able to win three game series, not events like the tournament was.
I really thought the CWS was spaced out enough to account for the pitching rosters. They didn't play 4 games per day like the SEC tournament. They took 10 days, and you only needed 5 games to win. I don't see that as any more stressful on a pitching staff than the current format.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I really thought the CWS was spaced out enough to account for the pitching rosters. They didn't play 4 games per day like the SEC tournament. They took 10 days, and you only needed 5 games to win. I don't see that as any more stressful on a pitching staff than the current format.
The current system is stretched out much better, I' was referring more to years back.
They listened to what teams said, I guess.
The SEC event is compressed, and such it wears down teams, and you don't seem to get teams best effort.
Most are getting ready for the NEXT week.

Apr 6, 2024
If they wanna know how something should be run, they have to look no further than Bill Cox's outfit; If ya know ya know.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It would be way too easy for the mid-majors to claim that the teams in the SEC should not be considered for the NCAA tourney if they didn't make the SEC tourney.

I like the POD format for the tournament that the ACC uses.
This is exactly what happened. The committee was believed to be using not making the conference tourney as a reason to keep teams out. So they went from 10 to 12

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I also, think they want more to play, than eight teams.

And especially with Texas and Oklahoma coming in.
I'm saying keep it the same as now, until you get down to the final eight. I just don't like seeing 2 teams get an off day.

But if we're going to single elimination then it's a moo point.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
The format the CWS used before TV got involved was much more fair to all the teams. I understand ESPN wants a guaranteed championship game on Sunday afternoon, but their family of networks it seems they could be more flexible.

In this year's SEC tournament, everything would be the same up until today. Today would feature 3 games: LSU-Vandy playing in the winner's bracket finale, along with State-Kentucky and USC-Tennessee in single elimination games (you criss-cross the brackets to avoid rematches)

Saturday would feature the loser of the LSU-Vandy game vs. the highest seeded 1 loss team, and the winner of LSU-Vandy vs. the last remaining team.

You have to schedule 2 games for Sunday, with the second game being "if necessary", which is what the networks dont like. But no teams get on off day, you only have 1 team potentially playing 2 games on 1 day, and you don't have the artificial championship game where an undefeated team can lose to a 1 loss team and lose the tournament.

I don't like 4 team double elimination tournaments (and, yes, I know the NCAA tournament is filled with them) I think it gives too much of an advantage to the 2-0 team. I've never liked the changes made for TV, although I kind of like the 3 game championship series.
The SEC tournament should be the bottom 8 teams. Single elimination. 7 innings. 3 balls for walks, 2 strikes for strikeout. Only have the final have normal rules.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I also, think they want more to play, than eight teams.

And especially with Texas and Oklahoma coming in.
Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric