Why Matt Rhule called a Program Builder?

Fixz

Oct 16, 2022
I'm not going to say Matt Rhule is bad candidate for the Nebraska job, Nor am I saying, at this point, he cannot recruit Big 10 players, hire the right assistant coaches to compete in the Big 10, or or run the right offense or defense. This post is about the label most people are pinning on Matt Ruhl as a "program builder" or someone who can "turn a program around". In both at Temple and at Baylor he did not start with a team at the bottom. In fact, both teams had either experienced successful coaches who had been promoted to bigger schools or a program that had great success in recruiting and wins but lost their prior coach to off field problems.

To start explain my point; Al Golden was the head coach at Temple from 2006-2010. The 2010 season was the last year Temple was in the MAC. Matt Rhule was the OC 2008-10 but when Golden was hired at Miami, Golden did not take Rhule with him. Temple joined the AAC for the 2011 for only one season. Stephen Addazio was hired as the head coach that year and Matt Rhule was removed from his prior offensive coordinator position to become the assistant offensive coordinator along with Tight Ends and Recruiting Coord, Rhule left Temple after one season under Al Golden.

For the 2012 Season Temple was in the Big East conference as a one-off conference change. Rhule had left in the off season for one year in the NFL as an assistant line coach. Stephen Addazio,'s offensive coordinator was Ryan Day for 2012. Boston College hired Addazio as head coach and Ryan Day went with him for the 2013 season. Temple had a record of 9-4 for the last season in the MAC under Addazio and 4-7 for their only season in the Big East.

In 2013 Temple changed conferences to the AAC. Matt Rhule was hired as head coach and went 2-10, 6-6, 10-4, then 10-4 before leaving for Baylor as their new head coach. In 2015 Temple went to the Boca Raton Bowl and lost to Toledo. The 2016 season Temple went to the Military Bowl and lost to Wake Forest,

Baylor; Under In Art Briles's last three years as Baylors head coach the team was 11-2, 11-2, and 10-3 (2013-2015). The Baylor sexual assault program resulted in several getting fired including Art Briles. Briles was replaced by Jim Grobe as the interim head coach for the 2016 season and the team went 7-6. Matt Rhule was hired for the 2017 season and to the most part inherited great recruiting classes. Rhule did bring in nearly 30 recruits to backfill some players who left the program. Rhule first signing class consisted 9 players not from Texas and the rest from Texas. His biggest recruit was QB Charlie Brewer to run his west coast style offense. Brewer threw over 3,000 yards in both the 2018 and 2019 seasons. In Rhules's three years at Baylor he was 1-11, 7-6, and 11-3. He then left for the NFL where he went 11-27 as a head coach.

In both cases, Rhule took a big step backward his first year then in his second year his teams were back to where they were before he took over as head coach. In his third and fourth years at Temple he di have 10 wins and was promoted to better job. Just like the two previous coaches at Temple. In his third season at Baylor he does get credit in returning the program to where it was two years prior to arriving with an 11 win season. He also did a great job bring the team back together, with Texas talent, and it was a credible effort, But then he left after one good season.

However, after all that, in no way did he "build a program" at Temple or Baylor and Nebraska is not in the same place Temple of Baylor was in at those times.

If offered the job can Rhule hire the right assistant coaches? Is he just another West Coast style offensive guy who will take three or four years to realize why that style of football hasn't worked here for the past 20 years? Can he hire assistant coaches with enough talent to coach in the Big 10? Can he recruit players from the upper Midwest? Can he keep the current roster from leaving and build on it? Will he embrace the walk-on program? If he's successful, will he stick around? I have more questions than "boxes checked" at this point.

As you can see, I am more apprehensive and have not bought into the Matt Rhule hype. But never say never.

GBR!

Arf_man

May 30, 2022
I'm not going to say Matt Rhule is bad candidate for the Nebraska job, Nor am I saying, at this point, he cannot recruit Big 10 players, hire the right assistant coaches to compete in the Big 10, or or run the right offense or defense. This post is about the label most people are pinning on Matt Ruhl as a "program builder" or someone who can "turn a program around". In both at Temple and at Baylor he did not start with a team at the bottom. In fact, both teams had either experienced successful coaches who had been promoted to bigger schools or a program that had great success in recruiting and wins but lost their prior coach to off field problems.

To start explain my point; Al Golden was the head coach at Temple from 2006-2010. The 2010 season was the last year Temple was in the MAC. Matt Rhule was the OC 2008-10 but when Golden was hired at Miami, Golden did not take Rhule with him. Temple joined the AAC for the 2011 for only one season. Stephen Addazio was hired as the head coach that year and Matt Rhule was removed from his prior offensive coordinator position to become the assistant offensive coordinator along with Tight Ends and Recruiting Coord, Rhule left Temple after one season under Al Golden.

For the 2012 Season Temple was in the Big East conference as a one-off conference change. Rhule had left in the off season for one year in the NFL as an assistant line coach. Stephen Addazio,'s offensive coordinator was Ryan Day for 2012. Boston College hired Addazio as head coach and Ryan Day went with him for the 2013 season. Temple had a record of 9-4 for the last season in the MAC under Addazio and 4-7 for their only season in the Big East.

In 2013 Temple changed conferences to the AAC. Matt Rhule was hired as head coach and went 2-10, 6-6, 10-4, then 10-4 before leaving for Baylor as their new head coach. In 2015 Temple went to the Boca Raton Bowl and lost to Toledo. The 2016 season Temple went to the Military Bowl and lost to Wake Forest,

Baylor; Under In Art Briles's last three years as Baylors head coach the team was 11-2, 11-2, and 10-3 (2013-2015). The Baylor sexual assault program resulted in several getting fired including Art Briles. Briles was replaced by Jim Grobe as the interim head coach for the 2016 season and the team went 7-6. Matt Rhule was hired for the 2017 season and to the most part inherited great recruiting classes. Rhule did bring in nearly 30 recruits to backfill some players who left the program. Rhule first signing class consisted 9 players not from Texas and the rest from Texas. His biggest recruit was QB Charlie Brewer to run his west coast style offense. Brewer threw over 3,000 yards in both the 2018 and 2019 seasons. In Rhules's three years at Baylor he was 1-11, 7-6, and 11-3. He then left for the NFL where he went 11-27 as a head coach.

In both cases, Rhule took a big step backward his first year then in his second year his teams were back to where they were before he took over as head coach. In his third and fourth years at Temple he di have 10 wins and was promoted to better job. Just like the two previous coaches at Temple. In his third season at Baylor he does get credit in returning the program to where it was two years prior to arriving with an 11 win season. He also did a great job bring the team back together, with Texas talent, and it was a credible effort, But then he left after one good season.

However, after all that, in no way did he "build a program" at Temple or Baylor and Nebraska is not in the same place Temple of Baylor was in at those times.

If offered the job can Rhule hire the right assistant coaches? Is he just another West Coast style offensive guy who will take three or four years to realize why that style of football hasn't worked here for the past 20 years? Can he hire assistant coaches with enough talent to coach in the Big 10? Can he recruit players from the upper Midwest? Can he keep the current roster from leaving and build on it? Will he embrace the walk-on program? If he's successful, will he stick around? I have more questions than "boxes checked" at this point.

As you can see, I am more apprehensive and have not bought into the Matt Rhule hype. But never say never.

GBR!
I've read a crap ton about Rhule and have never seen him referred to as a west coast offense guy. RPO/ pro-set I formation both. But never West Coast O.

Reactions: Ghengis 6

Red Sun Rising

Jun 3, 2022

GBR!
So where were you when this was all discussed in great detail in the last couple of months. There are counters to every narrative that you put in here. I'm going to try to bring up a few, but I'm really not going to spend a lot of time with it. He's our coach. Doesn't matter what you think at this point. You can get on board or sit on the sidelines and complain. Sorry to be so blunt but that's the way it is

VictoryRed

Jul 30, 2022

GBR!
First off, too long of a post for me to read. You have national people in the know saying it ,which probably trumps you. I used my eyes. I watched Temple and Baylor when he coached, I saw fast , aggressive teams. I remember him always being animated on the sidelines, I didn't like him....but I could see with my own eyes that he could coach. Scrutinize all you want, I think it's foolish. as time ( 3 years) will tell. I will lay money down that he will have us at 7 wins and a bowl game.

Boiler_B

May 6, 2022

GBR!

1. Ur a troll
2. U left out MKR win a conf title at Temple which they had not done in 37 years. They also beat PSU which they had not done in 61 years, all while moving Into a better conference under Rhule.

3. He inherited a Baylor team w only 45 players in schollie and had to totally remake the program.

4. He recruited fewer kids from TX than Both Briles AND Aranda have so far.

5. Aranda's 12-2 record and conf title at Baylor was directly due to having 95% of Rhules players on the team.
Aranda finished 6-6 this year with mostly his players and no Rhule players.

Nuts McClanahan

Jul 3, 2022
I will lay money down that he will have us at 7 wins and a bowl game.
That's a good bet when you consider the going from poorly coached to well coached angle. I haven't looked at the schedule but to me it's obvious that it will not be difficult to do a better job with strength and conditioning, better coaching at practice and on game days with a staff that isn't dysfunctional.