Will Carter Starocci and Greg Kerkvliet return to Penn State wrestling in 2024? They have their initial answer

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I've come to the conclusion that Spice67 is 1) a BOT very narrowly programmed on potential replies to posts, 2) a person so fixated on money that he can't even contemplate doing anything for a reason other than money, or 3) is an attention seeking ***** trying to irritate everyone by incessantly claiming over and over and over that donors must fork over money. :unsure:
My God man, give it a rest!
Agree 100%

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Hohmadw, I know you have posted several times recently stating a relationship with CStar. My next statement is not an accusation of lying. I find this statement curious and out of context. CStar specifically said in an interview that he was over and praised Cael for being on the bike beside him as encouragement/support to make weight while he looked around and saw coaches from other teams on their phones. I'm making an assumption this was leading into Saturday (this could be wrong). If true, 174lb wouldn't be the target for Saturday due to the 1lb/day weight allowance. Actual target would be 176 lbs (7 lbs higher than you cited).
Now if you said his walking around weight for NCAA Championships was 179 lb, that would make a lot of sense and certainly reasonable difference to cut daily for weigh-ins. Are you sure it wasn't 179?
Manatree - I agree with you that they almost certainly had a descent plan in place so he didn't need to cut all of it in the next 3 weeks. However, that plan probably did not include sustaining a knee injury that would have impacted ability to work out.
In the end, doesn't really matter. We will see if he wrestles and at what wait in a few weeks. I wish him well on whatever weight he decides to go at. Hope it just doesn't end up setting him back for a full recovery that endangers his future.
I don't believe he ever said he was over weight, he said he was over the weight he wanted to be at. There is a difference.

Reactions: TroutMichael27

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Hohmadw, I know you have posted several times recently stating a relationship with CStar. My next statement is not an accusation of lying. I find this statement curious and out of context. CStar specifically said in an interview that he was over and praised Cael for being on the bike beside him as encouragement/support to make weight while he looked around and saw coaches from other teams on their phones. I'm making an assumption this was leading into Saturday (this could be wrong). If true, 174lb wouldn't be the target for Saturday due to the 1lb/day weight allowance. Actual target would be 176 lbs (7 lbs higher than you cited).
Now if you said his walking around weight for NCAA Championships was 179 lb, that would make a lot of sense and certainly reasonable difference to cut daily for weigh-ins. Are you sure it wasn't 179?
Manatree - I agree with you that they almost certainly had a descent plan in place so he didn't need to cut all of it in the next 3 weeks. However, that plan probably did not include sustaining a knee injury that would have impacted ability to work out.
In the end, doesn't really matter. We will see if he wrestles and at what wait in a few weeks. I wish him well on whatever weight he decides to go at. Hope it just doesn't end up setting him back for a full recovery that endangers his future.

I don't believe he ever said he was over weight, he said he was over the weight he wanted to be at. There is a difference.

Here’s the quote from the AP piece.

https://triblive.com/sports/penn-st...n-brooks-become-4-time-ncaa-wrestling-champs/

“It really starts with the coaches,” Starocci said. “This morning I was a little heavy and a little more than I wanted to be. And Coach Cael was right there riding the bike with me. Just looking around, all the other guys warming up, their coaches are on their phones. I’m like, this dude is in the foxhole with us. I think that means more than anything.”

I guess you could interpret this either way. I did not interpret it as he was over the allotment to wrestle 174 on Saturday.

It would be interesting to pick Ironhead’s brain. I believe that he usually gets the weigh in numbers for everyone for the dual meets, although he usually only mentions the weights of both Heavys on air.

While I’m blindly throwing uninformed ideas at the wall, perhaps Carter’s absence from the UM & MSU matches was a hydration issue from a descent plan rather than the flu or cold.

What we really need is for donors to step up BIG to have Carter slinging inside scoops instead of hawking cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spice67 and Snide75

oopie

Nov 8, 2021
With SVN anticipated back, if Beau leaves can Kasak make 141 again, or does he redshirt? Would he beat out SVN or Beau? Young bucks coming up at several weights.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Here’s the quote from the AP piece.

https://triblive.com/sports/penn-st...n-brooks-become-4-time-ncaa-wrestling-champs/

I guess you could interpret this either way. I did not interpret it as he was over the allotment to wrestle 174 on Saturday.

It would be interesting to pick Ironhead’s brain. I believe that he usually gets the weigh in numbers for everyone for the dual meets, although he usually only mentions the weights of both Heavys on air.

While I’m blindly throwing uninformed ideas at the wall, perhaps Carter’s absence from the UM & MSU matches was a hydration issue from a descent plan rather than the flu or cold.

What we really need is for donors to step up BIG to have Carter slinging inside scoops instead of hawking cars.
He never said he was over weight. Big difference. Said his bigger goal was the trials. So it would make sense that if he was dropping he may want to be lighter.

Snide75

Oct 30, 2021
I can understand any one of the three not coming back if they are done with wrestling, moving on to other aspects of their lives, but if they are going to continue to live and train in State College with NLWC, why not wrestle another year for PSU and get paid whatever NIL money may be available to them. I'm sure they would not have to compete in the first semester and be on a " match count" if that was in their best interest . JMHO................
Agree. Which is why I think they'll all come back. 4 yrs till Olympics, Nlwc and the ability to run it back and get paid doing it. Either way it has been a pleasure watching them represent Penn State wrestling.

Reactions: Spice67

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
I was told he was at 169 pounds by a contact-not Carter directly. He has been right in the past. Byers mentioned during his weight was 171 during the Edinoro match. Personally I think he is making a mistake and should completely rehab his knee.

I do agree he is endangering his future with his knee. The medial compartment of the knee is tricky and further damage may lead to the injury known as the triad. Having had the triad at 26 years of age on my left knee, it led to five major knee operations including a knee replacement at 54. So, I am not a stranger to physical therapy and knee braces. I have a 14 inch incision from a 1986 surgery recovering from ACL and hamstring surgery. I was a very good high school athlete and tried to continue to compete in indoor at PSU for two seasons with a clicking noise in my left knee. I turned out to be a torn cartilage and should have had it fixed in 1975. I did not and paid for it at age 26.

Perhaps it was higher. The information that I get from the source is by text. I do understand what you are saying about his weight. My only recent dialogue with Carter was a text I sent him congratulating on winning his fourth championship.

I rarely text him. We typically talk live in person at the start of the season and it is about life and not wrestling.

Wanted to put some things in context. Again, thanks for your message.

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
He never said he was over weight. Big difference. Said his bigger goal was the trials. So it would make sense that if he was dropping he may want to be lighter.
That’s been my point all along.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
With SVN anticipated back, if Beau leaves can Kasak make 141 again, or does he redshirt? Would he beat out SVN or Beau? Young bucks coming up at several weights.
No. Kasak is not going to beat Beau or SVN. I’m also hoping like others our Donors step up for Beau, Carter, and Kerk. We should know really soon about Beau and Kerk since their not wrestling in the Olympic trail at the BJC next month. Gonna be some insane matches there. Already got my 4 tickets. Still tickets left. They will go quick now that NCAA is over

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
No. Kasak is not going to beat Beau or SVN. I’m also hoping like others our Donors step up for Beau, Carter, and Kerk. We should know really soon about Beau and Kerk since their not wrestling in the Olympic trail at the BJC next month. Gonna be some insane matches there. Already got my 4 tickets. Still tickets left. They will go quick now that NCAA is over

Where did you see that Kerk is not competing? Is he injured? He went to Houston in Dec to try and earn a spot in the trials. I find it hard to believe that he won’t travel across campus after earning his spot on Saturday night.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021
I was told he was at 169 pounds by a contact-not Carter directly. He has been right in the past. Byers mentioned during his weight was 171 during the Edinoro match. Personally I think he is making a mistake and should completely rehab his knee.

I do agree he is endangering his future with his knee. The medial compartment of the knee is tricky and further damage may lead to the injury known as the triad. Having had the triad at 26 years of age on my left knee, it led to five major knee operations including a knee replacement at 54. So, I am not a stranger to physical therapy and knee braces. I have a 14 inch incision from a 1986 surgery recovering from ACL and hamstring surgery. I was a very good high school athlete and tried to continue to compete in indoor at PSU for two seasons with a clicking noise in my left knee. I turned out to be a torn cartilage and should have had it fixed in 1975. I did not and paid for it at age 26.

Perhaps it was higher. The information that I get from the source is by text. I do understand what you are saying about his weight. My only recent dialogue with Carter was a text I sent him congratulating on winning his fourth championship.

I rarely text him. We typically talk live in person at the start of the season and it is about life and not wrestling.

Wanted to put some things in context. Again, thanks for your message.
thanks for the expanded reply.
I agree, the quote could be interpreted a couple different ways.
If he weighed in at 169 on Saturday, that makes his performance on Saturday even more impressive and I would like to know what his weight was on Thursday and Friday. At 169, he was essentially a 165lb'r wrestling up a class. For 165, a competitor could weigh in at 167 on Satuday, only 2 lbs less.
Lewis, Griffith, and Welsh were walking around at 177-180 range most likely.
@GregPickel - this is worthy of inclusion in a story. Can you find out the weights of these 4 guys over the course of all 3 days?

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Why can’t Tyler beat Beau? Beau took 2nd at 141, & Kasak 3rd at 149…a weight where, in the past, Beau was just good & not elite like @ 141. Just because Beau started at 141 this year doesn’t mean Tyler won’t drastically improve next year.

Saying stuff like that with that certainty is more than a bit presumptuous.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Why can’t Tyler beat Beau? Beau took 2nd at 141, & Kasak 3rd at 149…a weight where, in the past, Beau was just good & not elite like @ 141. Just because Beau started at 141 this year doesn’t mean Tyler won’t drastically improve next year.

Beau only beat him by a danger takedown in the last few seconds of a match early in the year. Disregard anything he says.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Where did you see that Kerk is not competing? Is he injured? He went to Houston in Dec to try and earn a spot in the trials. I find it hard to believe that he won’t travel across campus after earning his spot on Saturday night.
That’s my mistake man. Heck I don’t know what I was thinking. I’ll be there watching. I can’t wait. Theirs gonna be better matches at the BJC final Olympic spot than the NCAA final’s. It’s gonna be Insane. I think theirs still some tickets available. Hope it’s Super loud when a PSU guy is wrestling. We all know Cael wants it Loud. We’re talking about the best wrestlers in the World going at it in order to represent the USA ! That’s crazy Fun.

• Love
Reactions: lionlover

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023

You need to attend a couple practices when the public is allowed to watch during the season. Tyler is not beating BB.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
You need to attend a couple practices when the public is allowed to watch during the season. Tyler is not beating BB.
I'm talking next year. Beau's 23. Kasak's, what, 19? Tyler could make incredible gains with what he's learned this year. Let's also not forget, Beau's offense will NEVER be mistaken for Zain's, Nolf, or Mesenbrink's. Beau has little to no margin for error.

Next year all bets are off.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
First off, I would like to see kasak shirt next year. 2nd you do realize public practices are basically for show. Third when was the last practice you attended? A lot changes in a coarse of a season, even a few weeks, even the coarse of a few day tournament.

Reactions: Spice67

Lionlaw

Oct 31, 2021

He speaks the bull shizz.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
First off, I would like to see kasak shirt next year. 2nd you do realize public practices are basically for show. Third when was the last practice you attended? A lot changes in a coarse of a season, even a few weeks, even the coarse of a few day tournament.

I would bet money he has never been to a single wrestling practice, at PSU or in high school. You can include junior high and elementary school as well.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
I'm talking next year. Beau's 23. Kasak's, what, 19? Tyler could make incredible gains with what he's learned this year. Let's also not forget, Beau's offense will NEVER be mistaken for Zain's, Nolf, or Mesenbrink's. Beau has little to no margin for error.

Next year all bets are off.
Hey, hey, hey man, Like you are out of line challenging the great one, the only one, the man, chimp, doll, stump, whatever he/ she/it is named Spice67. Know your place. LOL. And Donate, drive across town to the nicest neighborhood and get a whale to drop millions. Do your part.